UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2023, 9:15 pm   #1
river9999uk
Tetrode

Default I broke it! :-( Sony TC630 reel to reel restore gone wrong

Hi

I have been restoring my late uncles Sony TC630 reel to reel player and it had been going rather well. Freeing up all the parts due to the cement like grease and from totally seized up it was running. I was on the last part, the pinch roller lever bar which was stuck and it would not come off at all. Sadly in trying to remove it I broke it. I am not sure if/how it can be glued/epoxyed back together or if I need to try to find a spare.

Anyone had this or tried to fix something similar. The metal is some sort of weak alloy that doesn't seem to be that strong.

Hope you can help as I was hoping I could get my uncles reel to reel back up and running and part of my setup.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tc630.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	277738  
Old 4th May 2023, 10:27 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: I broke it! :-( Sony TC630 reel to reel restore gone wrong

Is the break a vertical break or one that runs at an angle from the top to the bottom, if the latter it might be possible to drill two small holes and tap a small thread on one piece whilst making the holes in the other just slightly larger (clearance) for the screws you intend to use.
Old 5th May 2023, 5:19 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have never tried it, but Machine Mart sell a kit to repair aluminium, the catalogue (although not the website) say it can be used on aluminium alloy castings too.

See :

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/alum...r-starter-kit/
Old 5th May 2023, 6:24 am   #4
dmaillard
Tetrode

Most unfortunate, may be easier to find a parts deck, that piece is common across many Sony decks of that vintage. An attempted repair may never be strong enough.
In future it's best to use heat from small butane torch, (you can easily direct the heat to where you want it only, don't hold the torch too close though), to soften hardened lubricant, making it very easy to then remove.
Old 9th May 2023, 1:07 am   #5
locknut
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaillard View Post
In future it's best to use heat from small butane torch, (you can easily direct the heat to where you want it only, don't hold the torch too close though), to soften hardened lubricant, making it very easy to then remove.
When the grease has turned to toffee, you can't beat a bit of heat to shift it. Another good source is the tip of a soldering iron directly onto the shaft or spindle.
Old 9th May 2023, 7:25 pm   #6
river9999uk
Tetrode

Thanks for the tips...I will do that next time. Perhaps if I can't repair it I'll try to get it off again with the tips suggested and buy a spare one and get the bit off it.
Closed Thread