UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2023, 1:36 pm   #21
DrStrangelove
Banned

Default Re: Practical Electronics 500 Watt Amplifier

I was alarmed to find I could no longer recall the exams I passed for CEI Part II, so here they are:

300: The Engineer in Society: the liberal studies part.

341: Electromagnetic Fields and Networks: field theory & circuit theory.

345: Electronic Engineering: self explanatory.

346: Computer Engineering: including a shedload of stuff about analogue computers in addition to digital.

363: Analysis of Manufacturing Systems: boring but much easier than control system theory.

366: Operational Research: ditto. Transportation algorithms, Simplex, that sort of stuff.

The CEI itself departed shortly afterwards, turning into the Engineering Council.

The IEE didn't accept a pass at CEI Part II for entry after about 1982 or so IIRC.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 5:14 pm   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

When interviewing I always used to ask what a person's hobbies were, when they were not at work.

I didn't much care if it was singing in a choir, building home hifi, amateur athletics or rock climbing. Just something *interesting* that wasn't just going down the pub or watching TV.

That would decide between two people equally qualified on paper.

Craig
Old 29th Mar 2023, 5:25 pm   #23
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Heh - the IEE. Back in the 80's I became a Member. That involved going to London - where I met with two old boys in a musty room. Fine - rubber stamped.

At some point I let my membership lapse, and maybe 10 years ago I found my old membership card, and thought I'd renew it, thinking it would be a formality. Nothing of the sort. The old boys were a thing of the past - now I was expected to demonstrate CPE (continued professional education) before they would accept me back. Decided that I really did not need IEE membership.

Same thing with the Institute of Physics, of which I was a member, having joined getting on for half a century ago as a student member. All of a sudden they started with the CPE malarkey, and after going back and forth I decided to let my membership lapse. They did own up that the CPE requirement had let to a fairly significant exodus of lifelong members.

Craig
Old 29th Mar 2023, 5:47 pm   #24
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
... Same thing with the Institute of Physics, of which I was a member ... All of a sudden they started with the CPE malarkey ...
I went through something similar with the IoP, but as I understood it the CPD requirement was going to be brought in for those who wanted to maintain their CPhys status.

I decided to do nothing in response to their suggestions that I might like to demonstrate my commitment to CPD. They seem to have done nothing in response either. Several years later they are still adding the CPhys element onto my annual membership fee and sending my mail to 'Dr Gxxxxx J Hxxxx MInstP CPhys'.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Mar 2023, 6:06 pm   #25
Station X

Quote:
When interviewing I always used to ask what a person's hobbies were, when they were not at work.

Craig
Hobbies seem to be a thing of the past.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 7:30 pm   #26
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:

Craig
How sad is that! Every day I see quite depressed people constantly staring in to their mobile phones with absolutely zero interest in anything but the next pointless post on social media. They don't even look when crossing the road anymore.
Thank Goodness we all retained our mental capabilities.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 7:38 pm   #27
Chrispy57
Hexode

"Hobbies seem to be a thing of the past." - no Graham, we call that History!
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:04 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
And therefore they become a useful flag indicating people with a bit of drive, maybe even va va va voom.

Looking for people for an environment where the hope was to recruit people capable of innovation, you were looking for people with imagination and a degree of exploratory wanderlust. It was a knife edge, you didn't want too much wandering. In later years they formalised recruitment and interviewing. The quality of graduate recruited became much more consistent, but the lack of sparkle was starting to kill the firm.

They also formalised marketing. Before any new project could be started there had to be results in from the field showing that a significant number of regular customers wanted it. If so, you could do a mathematical proof that it was too late to start! The concept of shooting ahead of a moving target escaped them.

But, as said, hobbies seem to be dying out and the dearth of magazines is but a reflection. I'd say it's technical hobbies mostly. The horsey side of things is still lively.

David
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:28 pm   #29
Chris55000
Nonode

Yes, I look at my phone, but not at pointless social media rubbish – I look at circuit theory articles, service manuals for the repair projects I've got on the go, construction articles for those items I've started buying parts for!

As far as I'm concerned the hobby has not ended yet and won't for as long as my health, well–being and eyesight permits!

Chris Williams
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:53 pm   #30
DrStrangelove
Banned

Quote:
Heh - the IEE. Back in the 80's I became a Member. That involved going to London - where I met with two old boys in a musty room. Fine - rubber stamped.

At some point I let my membership lapse, and maybe 10 years ago I found my old membership card, and thought I'd renew it, thinking it would be a formality. Nothing of the sort. The old boys were a thing of the past - now I was expected to demonstrate CPE (continued professional education) before they would accept me back. Decided that I really did not need IEE membership.

Same thing with the Institute of Physics, of which I was a member, having joined getting on for half a century ago as a student member. All of a sudden they started with the CPE malarkey, and after going back and forth I decided to let my membership lapse. They did own up that the CPE requirement had let to a fairly significant exodus of lifelong members.

Craig
I'm still MIET though now "Retired" which cut the fee in half.

I became MIET by default when they abolished AMIEE.

In 40 years I've attended exactly one lecture: it was about early computers.

Oddly enough another chap who was a student member at the same time I was became a Fellow.

But then again he worked in the Royal Mint rather than industry.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:53 pm   #31
Chrispy57
Hexode

DrStrangelove - Interesting list of subjects on your post above. I can understand your comments about the "easier" subjects being a bit of relief in an otherwise demanding course, a bit like taking the Drama option at GCSE now I suppose.

I don't know about you, but I always resented having to take a compulsory nonsense module like your "The Engineer in Society: the liberal studies part.", (mine was The Engineer in Europe for the Degree course I mentioned) on a course that I was paying good money to attend. This imposed liberal-left ideology dispoils everything it touches in society, especially in the educational sector, IMHO. No such issues with a 1970s HNC - you got what it said on the tin!

Cheers
Chris
Old 29th Mar 2023, 10:47 pm   #32
Radio Wrangler

The arty-**rty subject content in such further education is the examining body posturing to whoever said examining body thinks is overseeing them! It's quite, quite fake, except that you can get failed on it.

David