UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2022, 4:36 pm   #21
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: MEET - call to arms! Can you help?

I've reached out to Sam on a couple of occasions but not had any dialogue yet, just sent another message. I agree, he has energy, enthusiasm and connects well with a diverse audience, albeit much of the feedback on his media channels seems to come from a devoted fan-base with no specific historical interest. We share a sense of the need for showmanship, which is positive, although our actual objectives seem quite different. In fact, I'm not sure what his ultimate mission is, beyond his dedication to experimental electro-musical projects, but there could be enough common ground to be a starting point.
Old 15th Dec 2022, 5:53 pm   #22
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Update, it looks like a couple of previous messages between Sam and I got lost in the ether. I've just had a very nice reply from him and we're hoping to put our heads together soon.
Old 9th Jan 2023, 4:35 pm   #23
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Just bumping this to keep the dialogue flowing. A general recap:

Until 2021 I was embarking on a serious, substantial project to integrate vintage technology and its preservation into a public-facing project of potentially very wide appeal. Because of its educational scope and broad relevance to every human being alive, MEET is capable of attracting funding and resources from far and wide, once it is on a sound footing organisationally and has a track-record of delivering public benefit.

Much of its true value is in bringing vintage technology into the public eye and making it relevant outside of enthusiasts' circles, but that very principle is equally of value to the enthusiast community because it harnesses external support for conserving things they themselves enjoy. A footfall of 1000 people over a weekend can provide for a much more substantial, productive and enduring museum than one restricted to the cognoscenti. In 30 years the vintage radio and TV hobby will be nearly dead, unless we take preemptive action to give it new life. MEET is a vehicle for that, and for many other things that have not got a preservation / vintage hobby movement of their own and barely see the light of day even now.

I have spent over ten years and £250k so far in preparation for MEET, and was expecting to spend the next 20 years rolling it out and investing something in the order of £500k in it between now and the execution of my will. It has a governing document, a committee, a collection and a 5-year plan. It was on the brink of registration with the Charity Commission.

The potential to launch in the originally intended form is in jeopardy due to my illness, which probably gives me between six and twelve months left to live. Although there are others involved with the project, none is in a position to take over the reins as the guiding and motivating force and interim funding source. A forum member recently took the time to come and talk to me about it and offer help, and to work out one approach to raising its profile which we will be pursuing this month. All constructive suggestions and input are extremely welcome, someone somewhere might be sitting on the solution.

I don't want to dismantle the collection, nor see it mothballed forever with no plan to follow. But even more so, it is the idea that I want to see come to life. The idea that when suitably presented and curated, vintage tech is enjoyable by everyone.
Old 11th Mar 2023, 1:49 pm   #24
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Update.

Sam Battle (of This Museum is Not Obsolete) and I are having some interesting planning sessions about integrating the two projects. We are looking at things from both a conceptual level to understand what the objectives of a joint offering would be, and also a practical level at specific buildings, resources needed etc.

But I am really running out of time. 1/4 of my expected remaining life has gone by since my last post, my physical abilities are in measurable decline, and unless things get moving quickly, for peace of mind and to ensure my family and others do not get lumbered, I am going to have to shut the MEET project down even while it seems to be heading towards success, because I can't risk leaving unresolved challenges.

This thread evinced some interesting observations and support, and one person even came to see me to talk in more detail, but that was all. Is this a realistic measure of the interest in the vintage electronics community, about conserving and sharing the technologies we like? Am I to read from it that there is either so little interest or availability of manpower to pass the hobby on to new generations, that we would collectively just abandon it by the side of the road? We have in MEET a vehicle for preventing that happening, if we can only put some fuel in the tank and start it up.

I want to have one last shot at making it national news. We need a press officer. Who can do that job? Who wants the fame and exposure of giving the interviews. Who prefers to work behind the scenes trawling the agents to find our perfect home? There's something suitable for everyone here. Yes there are the trustees, but their role is mainly governance and oversight. The project has changed since they signed up and we need others with different skillsets now to replace the input that I was going to make.

We have set a new notional deadline of June 1st. There's no absolute, inviolable physical limit and things could change in either direction, but there has to be a firm goal. Can we get enough underway by then to reasonably assure the organisation a sound footing?

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ElectricalMuseum/
Old 3rd Jun 2023, 9:24 am   #25
ScottBouch
Octode

Hi Lucien,

Firstly I am sory to hear about your dinosis and prospects, even though we are strangers and have never spoken, its still sad news to read about.

One of your posts resounded with me... as a kid, I too was involved in certain things that the general public weren't, mainly via my dad and his friends. Climbing over steam locomotives being rebuilt at Loughborough behind the scenes sticks in my mind from a young age. Plus at the age of 11 his friend bought an English Electric Lightning and asked us to volunteer our Saturdays restoring it to runwsy fast taxi condition, this I did for about 20 years. This opened up many doors and has been a key experience in my career in engineering. Now I have my own kids, 2 girls, I get them in the garage as often as I can to work together on various projects.

I have also started doing some small electronics projects with other kids in our village too, it inspires them to take more interest and pay attention to the world instead of being stuck in video games.

Upshot is I agree with the thoughts that it all comes down to sharing the knowledge and seeing others develop skills and interests. I believe firmly that there should be no tax on education, a philosophy from open source sofware projects, where anyone can have access and learn something, there should be no barriers such as wealth, gender or disability.