UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2023, 7:54 pm   #1
Galtak99
Diode

Default Racal VRM4156 Control Head

Hi All

I recently acquired a VRM4156 - units only , no control head or connecting cable.
Full designation of this unit is VRM4156B/W
Fortunately the interconnecting leads at the rear are present but there is no DC power lead.
I have not been able to find any circuit info.
From what I have read it looks like a nice modern piece of kit with lots of options so I would like to try and get it going as I also have a compatible Racal ATU.
Would appreciate some help with all or any of the above.
Happy to pay the going rate for accessories if anyone knows of a source.
I think the control box is either an MA4054 or MA4935
cheers/73
Richard G3VDE
Old 8th Mar 2023, 6:21 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Racal VRM4156 Control Head

If no-one here has answers to this question, then you could try the Racal Radio email list on groups.io. I think you can access that here: https://groups.io/g/RacalRadio

Richard G7RVI
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:04 pm   #3
Galtak99
Diode

Hi Richard
Thanks for the suggestion.
I am a member of the Racal group - I've uploaded 1 or 2 manuals but there isn't much on there re VRM4156 so though I would give this forum a try.
Info on the later stuff seems like a closely guarded secret - presumably a result of the sudden death of Racal at the hands of Thales!
If you (or anyone reading this) has any ideas please get in touch
cheers/73
Richard
Old 9th Mar 2023, 12:28 am   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

As you may have already guessed Richard the MA4054 controls the radio using data on 3 wires in the 12-way interconnecting cable (data, data enable and clock), so acquiring a control box is probably the only way to get it running.

I have the VRM4156 service manual, it is big and heavy, if there is anything specific you need at the moment drop me a PM and I will see what I can provide.

Edit:

I also have found a PDF of the tech manual for the MA4935...

Martin
G4NCE

Last edited by Sparky67; 9th Mar 2023 at 12:34 am.
Old 10th Mar 2023, 2:43 pm   #5
Galtak99
Diode

Thanks Martin - much appreciated.
I've had a look inside the 2 units and everything looks intact and in good condx apart from one of the boards which I'm sure is the right one having too many holes for pillars/fixing screws Think I've seen this before with Racal. Worth spending a bit more time on it, anyway!

Think we might have spoken briefly in your Arqiva days. Will send you a PM

Meanwhile just to reiterate if anyone reading this has a MA4054 or 4935 + leads they would like to sell please get in touch
cheers/73
Richard
Closed Thread