UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2021, 6:23 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Trio R-1000 Frequecy counter upgrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6XDzGVndw

Found this rather helpful video earlier but not sure where he has picked up the input from for the display to work . Other than a power supply it looks like its coming straight from the Antenna socket?? Anyone seen or tried this out before or can advice as a tad puzzled
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 10:28 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Trio R-1000 Frequecy counter upgrade

It looks to me that a connection has been made to the original counter chip, and has been taken to a socket on the upper rear panel. I would think another counter was used externally before the replacement counter was fitted.

Replacement counter has been driven from the socket rather than wired directly to the original counter chip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1000 freq cntr .jpg
Views:	197
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	229882  
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 8:26 am   #3
HECTOR63
Banned

Superb Many thanks Pete that's really great to know ,I'm guessing all the transistors and caps etc were removed just to isolate the key driver areas possible? I did email the Video correspondent but failed to apparently have a list and why! Still I'm guessing as to that every time the video is watched they get a small sum from you tube for it so probably not in there interest to give any futher advices other than that! I also checked the underside of the small PSU board on mine and its even worse than the badly attached bulb issue that I have resolved but still would have preferred to go top side with that. But the board has been damaged to the point where by the previous attempt by somebody with some strange solder skills couldn't repair probably what may have been dry joints on the two transistors bolted to the heatsink and hardwired the fault further back due to board damage, So today I'm going to check the transistors out aswell as 1 looks like its been changed, shall post pictures later to indicate just what state this is and found another badly wired bulb with leads insulated with tape and tucked into front panel! Not a good idea as badly routed and could have also shorted out! Oh the Joys of eBay purchases:-But in the meantime at least its worth a serious look at possible frequency display upgrade to get that working and learning as I go along in new ventures
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 8:59 am   #4
HECTOR63
Banned

https://youtu.be/K_Lze1c_LS0

Here we are Pete this video was posted as an update to advise and display results.
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 9:09 am   #5
HECTOR63
Banned

Oh while I'm at it can I ask after connector number 3 which is a tad to the right being a 3 pin connector as on mine the plug is located in the connector before yet the plug shows number 3 on its front side should that not have been fitted to the connector socket as labelled on pcb with number 3 as the one behind it has no number as such? Can send picture but just a tad puzzled as this thing unfolds although it powers up and functions although a tad deaf at the moment and today going to spend sometime on a full check out as it s not all what it seems!
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 9:46 am   #6
HECTOR63
Banned

https://www.amazon.co.uk/harayaa-Dig...88988&sr=8-101

Hopefully this looks like it might do the job even if I fit it outside of the main unit and put into a box, only other thing is to look at as to whether all those parts removed were necessary but that's later today
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 11:16 am   #7
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
Oh while I'm at it can I ask after connector number 3 which is a tad to the right being a 3 pin connector as on mine the plug is located in the connector before yet the plug shows number 3 on its front side should that not have been fitted to the connector socket as labelled on pcb with number 3 as the one behind it has no number as such? Can send picture but just a tad puzzled as this thing unfolds although it powers up and functions although a tad deaf at the moment and today going to spend sometime on a full check out as it s not all what it seems!
I'm afraid I don't quite follow your question. Which circuit board are you referring to?

The Amazon counter looks the same as the one in the youtube example in this thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=178005

It's also available on Ebay from China.

Because the PSU runs at an uncomfortably high temperature, its not uncommon for the joints to fracture around the associated transistors. Its worthwhile to re-solder the joints on the PSU.
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 12:50 pm   #8
HECTOR63
Banned

Okay pictures attached show PSU Issue with board repair and the connector with the number 3 at front but the open socket in front actually has the number 3 listed on the board but not on the socket currently plugged into so tad confused but wanted to check if you can help,other pics shall follow hopefully if these upload okay
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 12:53 pm   #9
HECTOR63
Banned

Okay Hear we go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Connector 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	229902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	229903   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	229904   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	229905   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU 3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	229906  

Old 23rd Mar 2021, 12:57 pm   #10
HECTOR63
Banned

Okay and these show an 'Unknown screw at the back of the chassis between chassis and PCB mounting and transit damage(but that's life).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PSU 4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	229907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screw 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	229908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown Screw 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	229909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown screw.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	229910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transit Damage.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	229911  

Old 23rd Mar 2021, 5:25 pm   #11
g4aaw pete
Heptode

I'm struggling to find a reference to this plug you mention. It was an option on later variants of the R1000.
An article by K9EUI mentions it.

The extra screw is part of the earthing arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bandwidth.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	229925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Earthing screw.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	229926  
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 10:04 pm   #12
Andrew2
Nonode

Wasn't that plug to change the filter options over so that you could choose to have the SSB filter in for the narrow AM selection? Mine had that.
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 11:54 pm   #13
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Wasn't that plug to change the filter options over so that you could choose to have the SSB filter in for the narrow AM selection? Mine had that.
It was certainly something of that order Andy.
I had a look at the io group's Kenwood R1000 page, but their files section hasn't transferred over from the original Yahoo location.
Old 24th Mar 2021, 10:01 am   #14
HECTOR63
Banned

Pete many thanks again for taking the time to post the picture of the main unit, this is great help and as in my picture it shows were the plug that i a referring to arrived as is and thanks to Andrew for the advices on the filtering at least I'm making some progress now on these issues. Yes the screw thing is okay just wanted to be sure due to this one having been tampered with and not really being sure exactly what's what until i can get it verified. But luckily I have another on the way in the next couple of days and hopefully can make great trends toward making this one better than I feel it is at the moment but will be a great reference all the same. The Service manual is good but I'm more used to working from hardware's copy but the PC has at least the storage facility etc advantages but its just all the navigations etc that are easier IMO with a good paper manual. Hopefully can track one down one day always worth there weight n gold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	229995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	229996  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 10:06 am   #15
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4aaw pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
It was certainly something of that order Andy.
I had a look at the io group's Kenwood R1000 page, but their files section hasn't transferred over from the original Yahoo location.
Yes, I think you transfer the plug marked '3' over to the other socket nearby and the filters change. I think you lose the Wide AM filter and then the filters available for AM become 6 kHz and 2.4 kHz. Blimey, this is stretching my memory.
Old 24th Mar 2021, 11:04 am   #16
HECTOR63
Banned

:-Many thanks Andrew-how about a possible Mod to make both plug sockets useful by committing to say a possible switch via toggle or other wise to make use of the change?
Old 24th Mar 2021, 11:09 am   #17
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
But luckily I have another on the way in the next couple of days
You be very careful, things can get quickly out of hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OTT_R1000s.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	230007  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 11:30 am   #18
HECTOR63
Banned

Superb Pete so you understand the bug then Its the way I might be headed as on the trek for another FRG-7700 aswell to sort out the gremlins in one I have here aswell Again manuals are good but sometimes I just need to gain a like to like when dealing with possible hacked sets but improves my knowledge's etc as coming from an AV background the RF stuff is a newish enterprise but great fun and so much going on aswellAlways have a soft spot for 70s and 80s hifi and similarly turning enterprise toward Amateur kit aswell by the looks of it!!
Old 24th Mar 2021, 11:34 am   #19
HECTOR63
Banned

Ah notable point aswell-forgot to ask!! On my current one on the illumination to the signal meter the area for max Red/Yellow band is not lit but rest of the display is, are there two bulbs in that area? I shall strip my one later to take a look at this as that's been bugging me too! OH just when you don't need a tin of worms another one turns up!
Old 25th Mar 2021, 5:04 pm   #20
HECTOR63
Banned

Well now I have the other R-1000 that's a lot better and the display and everything else works including all the signal meter light and the display with clock aswell. So this does go along way to see just how messed up the original one is that I have, but at least I can get cracking on working on just how hacked its been. Display etc should be here soon to hopefully get the display operational and shall spend some more time working out everything that may need to be removed as to the existing chip in place although its in a socket but the video shows a resistor array and caps transistors etc having been removed etc to get the replacement to work. But that's the least of the problems as I suspect I may have VFO and PLL issues headed my way, but time will tell.
Closed Thread