UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2020, 1:55 pm   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Ic2e circuit diagram

Hello, I am looking for a decent circuit diagram for an Icom IC2E. Yes an oldie I know but I have one which I suspect has a dud crystal in the PLL. I have just bought a scope and I was hoping to faultfind this rig. It stopped working after it was dropped. There is no rx noise when the squelch is opened and no transmit, hence my suspiscion of the clock crystal being damaged.
Any help appreciated.

Dave
Old 5th Sep 2020, 2:07 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Ic2e circuit diagram

Hello Dave

highly readable circuit in the manual here:-

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/I..._AT_E_serv.pdf
Old 5th Sep 2020, 3:06 pm   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

No RX Sq and No TX is sometimes the PLL not being locked and so both are inhibited.
As you said maybe the drop test has broken a crystal? If it doesn't work on any range simplex/duplex etc then X1 the 5.12MHz on the TC5082 is most likely

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 5th Sep 2020 at 3:21 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2020, 3:18 pm   #4
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

Thanks Pete that is very useful.I should be able to work through the set once I get my scope.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 9:53 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

A crystal oscillator is basically a very low power radio transmitter, so if you know what the suspect crystal frequency should be, try 'listening' for it on a comms receiver or scanner.

With the receiver on AM mode you should see a steady signal on the meter when the crystal is running. If the receiver has SSB, go to USB mode and tune slightly on the low side (-500Hz), of the expected frequency and you should get a steady tone or whistle when the crystal is running.

If you connect any sort of test equipment directly to an oscillator it can sometimes detune or even stop the oscillator, using a receiver to 'sniff' for the oscillator avoids that potential problem.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 10:40 pm   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I think the novel thing with the IC2E is the 5kHz offset switch and how it is applied to 4 different crystals by a diode switch arrangement on several different pulling coils.

Icom in that era knew their stuff about crystal oscillators having made the IC202 series of 2m SSB rigs which were all VXO based using 200kHz tuning ranges. I found it surprising that an RX crystal from the IC215 (their bog standard FM rig) worked pretty much just as well in an IC202 VXO. 15MHz fundamental x9 +10.7MHz if I recall.
Closed Thread