UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2020, 2:37 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox G36 Motor caps advice please

Just realised from post # 3 that the photos above are most likely showing the spooling motors capacitors where as you say 0.5uF has been added in parallel to the 3.0uF to make 3.5uF

Still leaves a question of whether you have the 0.5uF C70b connected to one end of the capstan motor 2uF C70a.
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 3:04 pm   #22
jascha
Hexode

Smile Re: Revox G36 Motor caps advice please

Thanks for your reply. I can say that the photos above that I attached a few days ago are of the spooling motor caps and not the capstan motor one.
The spooling motor cans have a 0.5uf strapped in parallel to them so that is I guess understood that the total capacitance for those motors is 3.5uf and as a result I have bought a new set that are 2 pin caps.

I just checked again the capstan cap and I confirm that pin 3 is N/C. There is no measurement whatsoever to the other pins...completely open. I measured the capacitance across pin 1 & 2 and it's measuring just 1.7uf so it's time to replace those caps i think.
I think the schematic you referred to is of a series 3 and my machine is a series 2. I attach a section of the schematic where some machines just use a 2uf cap.

Hope this is making some sense?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	201402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	201403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	201404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	201405  
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 3:24 pm   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes makes full sense now. I was incorrectly thinking it was a Mk.3/Series 3, you had a few posts earlier confirmed it was Mk. 2
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 3:27 pm   #24
jascha
Hexode

That’s no problem at all and thanks you for all your time and effort to help. Much appreciated
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 6:45 pm   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You mention it's a high speed version, likely done by Revox. I have an HS version as well and I was wondering what the 7.5/15 ips lettering is like - mine has stickers over the original standard speed lettering, and I wondered if this is original or a later conversion.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 9:01 pm   #26
jascha
Hexode

Mine has also a sticker on top of the original speed letterings of 3.75 & 7.5 ips. I believe it was done by Revox as I heard that they had made these modifications themselves. I heard from a knowledgable person that’s how I know but that’s all I know.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 11:04 pm   #27
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

High speed G36s are a variable feast. I think the first were converted by Hammonds, who were the importers at the time. This was a simple matter of doubling the capstan diameter on the standard 6/12 pole motor, although one I briefly owned had an E36 motor with a bigger capstan fitted, an ran 1% slow...

The problem with this arrangement was that it affected the wrap on the play head and took the tape path out of the height-setting guide, making alignment very touchy. When Revox themselves made a high speed G36, the first machines had a 4/8 pole capstan motor. thus only requiring a 50% increase in capstan diameter and bringing the wrap within bounds. This was later supplanted by a large diameter capstan in a new casting which set the motor, and hence the capstan face, back about 2mm.

Factory high speed machines seem to be much rarer than Hammond conversions, in the UK at least. When I rebuilt two G36s a few decades ago, I bought new high speed deck covers from Bauch, and these had no labelling on the speed buttions - the inference being, I suppose, that a professional would know what speed he was running at. The likelihood, therefore, is that a machine with sticky labels on is a conversion. Much the same applies to A77s - anything proclaiming itself "professionelle Apparat" isn't...
Old 24th Mar 2020, 2:39 am   #28
TIMTAPE
Octode

From memory another thing about the Revox G36 was a rubber coupling between motor and flywheel/capstan. Apparently it smoothed flutter. I wonder how the compliance of that rubber coupling has stood up over many years.

A couple of years ago I was offered a G36 in very good cosmetic condition, one owner since showroom new in 1967. I think that was the year the new A77 came out. Having had no experience with them I was amazed at how difficult the G36 was to work on re the A77 which had replaced it. The design went from valves and tag strips on the G36 to silicon transistors on mostly separate plug-in PCB's on the A77. Also the A77's capstan motor changed to an electronically controlled AC type with great immunity to mains irregularities and with the possibility at least of electronic varispeed, exploited on later B77's. The rubber coupling was no longer necessary.

This G36 while cared for cosmetically had had a lot of tape through it. The heads were quite worn and the capstan shaft had a tape sized wear groove in it, reducing its diameter and therefore the tape speed. Unlike an electronically controlled design, no adjustment of motor speed to correct this was possible. It was at that point that I decided to pass the machine on...
Closed Thread