UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2020, 8:15 pm   #1
Ferrograph723
Triode

Default When Two Ferrographs become Three!

I'm excited to announce a new addition to the 'ferrograph family'. Joining my Ferrograph Series 7 (the one that was never made - a model 723, for which there are no records of it ever existing) and my Ferrograph Series 4 (affectionately named the Pig Shed Spiderhouse, on account of it having spent 30 years in a pig shed giving a home to a million arachnids)...... I now have Ferrograph Number Three!

Kindly gifted to me my Dave 'NutterOnTheBus', it's a Ferrograph Series 2 of circa 1950's vintage! It's in really good shape - it powers up on a lamp limiter, the valves glow, the reels turn and the speaker hums (quite a lot!)! I've not managed to get any playback out of it yet, but I have limited tools at my disposal due to recent house move and still not having unpacked the non-essentials.

I'm looking forward to a parallel restoration of both Series 2 and Series 4.

Huge thanks to Dave for gifting this gem of a machine to me - and thanks also for introducing me to the fascinating world of Electrostatic Speakers!
Old 9th Mar 2020, 3:45 am   #2
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Re: When Two Ferrographs become Three!

I made my Mark 2 722H from an incomplete 722 and two junked 724's bought for $15. It took several years, and there was no mechanical service data service data apart from information in adverts. Pre-Interweb days. The machine worked well, so I remade the control panel using Letraset, and fortunately the exact typeface was still available. That was the biggest expense I think. I wouldn't even consider taking on something like that now!

Last edited by suebutcher; 9th Mar 2020 at 3:53 am.
Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:51 pm   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: When Two Ferrographs become Three!

The Series 2 machine will need all its paper capacitors changing - if yours is anything like one that I dealt with in the past. Built like a tank...
Closed Thread