UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2015, 11:42 pm   #1
darren67
Tetrode

Default Preselector

Hi all,
Whilst on-line ages ago I came across detailed plans for a self powered preselector, which I intend to make, as I am interested to see if performance would be improved on the Trio 9R-59DS.

After much searching through various old parts, I have massed together most of the parts required.
I am nearly ready to proceed, with the exception of the stated valve, an EF183, which I don't have

I was considering the use of another RF pentode which I do have to hand, an EF89. Now I understand that various valves have different pin outs, and have taken this into consideration and compared the two valves' data in my book.

I am fairly confident it will work, but would I have to alter the circuit in any way to accommodate the EF89?
I would be grateful for any advice. Hopefully I can upload the circuit.

kind regards Darren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	102444  
Old 8th Jan 2015, 1:16 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Preselector

You may need a slightly larger value for R4, the cathode bias resistor.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 3:13 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

An EF89 should work OK.

What sort of performance improvement are you seeking? Preselectors can be used to improve front-end gain, give better overall noise-figure (particularly on the upper HF bands where the likes of 1940s/1950s valves have high noise-figures), or add extra RF selectivity to help reduce image-interference (particularly a problem on the upper HF bands where you have a low IF).

Or a combination of all these.

I'm suspecting that in the case of a 9R59, which has relatively modern front-end valves, the greatest gain (pun intended) will be improved image rejection due to the additional signal-frequency tuned-circuit the preselector will provide. Extra front-end gain isn't always a benefit - it can increase the likelihood of cross-modulation and blocking.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 3:21 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

I had a 9R59DS from about 1972 to 1985 and the higher bands suffered from drift, pulling and monumental image problems - I always had a choice of two frequencies on which to listen! Obviously the preselector isn't going to stop the drift or the pulling, but it may help a little with the images if the selectivity can be made tight enough.
When I finally gave it away to a young SWL and replaced it with a Trio R1000, things got a lot better....
Old 8th Jan 2015, 5:18 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I recognise that circuit? Radio Constructor?? I built that very unit when it was published to go with my homebrew shortwave receiver (from the same magazine). It worked extremely well and in fact I used it with several sets built later.

EF183 is a frame-grid valve with a high gain. EF89 will work but gain may be lower (and more noise)
Old 8th Jan 2015, 5:59 pm   #6
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

In a typical HF general coverage receiver much of the RF stage noise comes from the tuned circuit, not the valve. An EF89 should be fine, and will reduce the risk of overloading the receiver mixer.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 6:24 pm   #7
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I would use a bridge rectifier to make it easier on the transformer.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 7:11 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I should have an EF183 spare,PM me if stuck and I will find you one this weekend.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 7:26 pm   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
I would use a bridge rectifier to make it easier on the transformer.
I'd be inclined to see if you could get away with stealing power from the 9R-59?

B
Old 8th Jan 2015, 9:12 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Agreed. Even if you end up using a separate heater transformer, the HT requirement's only going to be a few milliamps so should be well within the wiggle-room of the 9R-59's supply.
Old 8th Jan 2015, 9:40 pm   #11
timewave
Pentode

I made that preselector and used it with a 9R 59D. I sold the RX but the preselector is on the bench at the moment waiting to be restored (made safe). I was but a lad when I made it and the wiring needs some attention.

I seem to recall that HT and heater volts are available on the octal socket at the rear of the RX.

John G4IJD
Old 9th Jan 2015, 5:28 pm   #12
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Looking at the circuit I can see that careful consideration will have to be given to layout to prevent instability due to the bypass switching arrangements, otherwise you will have an oscillator on the input to your set. Goes without saying I suppose...
Alan.
Old 13th Jan 2015, 11:30 am   #13
darren67
Tetrode

Crikey I didn't expect this much response but it's all welcome.

Cheers Dave, any idea of the value for the cathode bias resistor?

Thank you G6tanuki, this radio has one RF stage. I was interested to see if any performance would be achieved with a RF amp pre selector and at my current location there is a fair bit of interference so selectivity might help matters too.

Andrew, I have been thinking about upgrading the Trio R1000. I have been thinking of trying to get for a while but they are few and far between.

Sideband, you are right I found the circuit ect on vintage radio and electronics site radio constructor section.

Trevor, I was thinking of a bridge rectifier so I will try it thanks.

Hamish, that would be fab if you have a correct valve I will pm you later.

Bazz, I was thinking of this but I have concerns that the receiver's transformer handle an extra valve? g6tanuki says it can hmmm food for thought.

Timewave, that's an interesting point if HT and heater voltage's are available through the octal socket this would simplify things a lot I shall study the circuit diagram and open up the receiver to have a look.

Biggles, I understand your point about the layout but would screening the the stages help to prevent oscillation?

many thanks to you all for your sound advice some will say I'm mad but, I am new to homebrew equipment and want to be successful in the spirit of home construction. I will post as I make progress it may take some time with family commitments but I will get there.

kind regards Darren.
Old 13th Jan 2015, 11:40 am   #14
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I would try roughly doubling the value of R4 if you use an EF89.
Old 15th Jan 2015, 8:35 pm   #15
Biggles
Rest in Peace

If you are new to home construction the main trick is to prevent any output signals getting back to the input which usually means attention to layout (keeping input circuits as far away as possible from output circuits, or to include screening between the two) and to keep connection leads as short as possible. Have a look at some of the RF stages in a commercial set and you will pick up on the methods used. RF engineering is a complex subject and I couldn't even scratch the surface here. Try and build it and see how you get on. It may be perfectly stable and well behaved!
Alan.
Closed Thread