UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2005, 9:16 pm   #21
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: The NVCF: Time To Move

I suspect part of the locating of events will have something to do with where the organisers live.

I couldn't organise a drinks party at a brewery, but if I could there would be no way I could get to somewhere like Glasgow (from here in Brum) an appropriate time before the dealers want to get it.

It's a real shame there aren't more events to spread further over the country but I guess it needs someone, or a group of people, in those areas to organise things.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th Mar 2005, 9:29 pm   #22
pmmunro
Octode

On the subject of car parking fees and also coming from Scotland, (East Central) I once had the good fortune to be able to combine a NVCF with another trade show which issued free parking passes. Given the wide interests of BVWS members and Forum contributors, perhaps a bit of initiiative in making good luck could help?
Old 16th Mar 2005, 9:42 pm   #23
terry123
Pentode

Thank you all for your opinions on the NVCF - they will be taken on board. Nothing has been ruled in or out at this stage accept to say that I am not intending to move the show around the country - logistically it would not work. It was tried in the past (under the prevoius owner) and failed.

With regards to exhibitor attendance there is generally a good mix of people from all over the UK including the US and europe. (genrally a dozen or so)

With regards to the parking - this is the biggest complaint received by all visitors (not just BVWS members) and this debate has raged for as long as I can remember. As a driver myself in london with parking meters giving just 3 minutes for 20p in some areas, I could argue that the parking fee is good value by comparison - I do not believe that it is, and I believe that the NEC are just being greedy. (Or rather Birmingham city council who hold major shares in the venue)

Regarding the hall hire, even allowing for inflation we would have to raise the cost of the tables by at least £10 each to cover the immediate hire increase and allow for at least the next year or two ahead. There have been no increases for at least 4 years on the tables and certainly none since I have run the event for the society. we would certainly lose a percentage of exhibitors in the process thus losing any advantage gained. As the show is run on a commercial basis it has to show some sort of profit to make it viable, for that reason I have to look 2, 3 or even 4 years down the line. Ultimately the more money it makes the more benifit the society (and members) sees, allowing us to stage such things as the major valve display at last octobers show for example and the 30th birthday celebrations which are planned.

With regards to BVWS members only events, (as opposed to the NVCF which is a commercial event and therefore open to all) these are orginised and run on a purely voluntary basis, generally by Committee members and partners who happly give many hours of their time to others. It is a common misconception that they are excentric multi millionaires with an army of paid staff . We all have livings to earn and social / family committments just like everyone else. and this needs to be borne in mind. Having run the Harpenden event for nearly 3 years voluntary, I know what is involved. Including members who have no conception of time when they ring you up at 11.30 on a sunday evening.........

When help has been asked for in the past we are met with near silance. In addition, the BVWS also attempts to have a presence at other events by way of a stand also manned by members and travelling in some cases many miles to do so, using their own time and travelling/staying overnight . There is nothing stopping any one from staging their own BVWS event in their respective areas and I would encourage those lacking an event local to them to do so. It is unfortunate that some areas of the UK do not have a more localised meeting. It just the way the membership is spread across the country. The committee which includes me, will give the assistance and advice neccerary to help to stage a regional event if any BVWS member would like to set up and run one themselves in their own part of the country.

thanks

Terry Martini

Last edited by terry123; 16th Mar 2005 at 9:56 pm.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 10:09 pm   #24
terry123
Pentode

I forgot to mention that the date shown in the diary for oct 2005 is not confirmed, and is stated as only provisional at this stage, pending final discisions on the move etc

thanks

Terry Martini
Old 16th Mar 2005, 10:58 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This date was already shown as "not confirmed" on the NVCF website, and I have just marked it as "provisional" on the BVWS site.

Hopefully this clarification is far enough in advance for radiogammon to adjust or cancel any arangements until there is more definite information.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Mar 2005, 8:42 am   #26
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem
On the face of it, moving the event around each time seems a good idea. However searching for possible venues, then checking each candidate's suitability and then organising it is a lot of work. At least with a venue in the same place each time you get to know any peculiarities of a venue which must save time in organising.

So IMO whilst I don't feel lots of different venues is workable, sticking to two seperate venues does have some merits.
TTFN,
Jon.
My suggestion did not preclude just alternating between two venues - I suppose that even if we stick to one venue, one that is not London-centric will probably be convenient for the majority.
Old 17th Mar 2005, 4:27 pm   #27
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

pmmunro said

Quote:
Given the wide interests of BVWS members and Forum contributors, perhaps a bit of initiiative in making good luck could help?
I suppose I did do this in my one visit to the NVCF, which was about five years ago, in that I combined it with a visit to my daughters who then lived about 30 miles from Birmingham. Strangely, I do not remember problems with car parking which now seems to be a big issue. I have also considered attending other events but with a round trip of about 700 miles probably by car and the extra expence of somewhere to stay this is really not on. I do understand that the members who organise such events do so on a voluntary basis and give up much of their own time. I also appreciate that to organise an event at a distance would be difficult. However, I think for some one like myself to organise such an event without either experience, help or contacts would be impossible. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I am unlikely to see a BVWS event take place further north than Birmingham. I am thinking of trying to organise a simple meeting of BVWS/forum members in the north but that is for another thread. If nobody is interested the I will stay up here in splendid isolation.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 17th Mar 2005, 6:34 pm   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you check the BVWS events diary at http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/diary.htm you will note that there are swapmeets in Leeds twice a year. Obviously not on the scale of the NVCF, but they are well attended. Clearly it's still a long way from Scotland, but not as far as Birmingham.

This Leeds meet is exactly the sort of members-organised event that Terry was suggesting, which shows that it does work. If you wanted to do something in your area, I guess you would need to contact some other members in the area to consider working together to organise it.

Of course it would also be worth checking the members handbook to find out how many BVWS members are within a reasonable distance of your planned venue (the membership secretary may be able to help with this information). If there's not that many, maybe something smaller and more informal would be a way to start.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Mar 2005, 8:27 pm   #29
terry123
Pentode

There is of course the Museum of communication foundation who are in Bo' ness near Edinburgh. their website can be found at http://www.mocft.co.uk/

I have supported their aims for some years. They have recently aqquired an old working mens club in Burntisland, fife (not a million miles from Kirkcaldy where we will be relocating to soon) with the view of converting it into a accessable museum and workspace. I would suggest this would be a good starting point as a lot of their supporters are based in scotland. Opens up all sorts of social possibilities not only that, they are very nice people.

regards

Terry Martini
Old 17th Mar 2005, 9:08 pm   #30
Ken
Hexode

Hi Terry

At one time they were sited in the same building as the 'Tall Ship' museum on the banks of the Clyde quite near the centre of Glasgow. I visited the museum at this site some time ago and again just recently. On my recent visit there was nobody about and what had been the museum was partly turned over to a childrens play area althuogh there were still a few exhibits. The person incharge of the other part of the museum told me they were moving but that quite a lot of the exhibits were still stored on this site. This tends to confirm what you suggest in that the museum may not be open yet. It is food for thought though. My thoughts at the moment are simply to see if there is enough interest to arrange a social meeting.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 17th Mar 2005, 9:53 pm   #31
terry123
Pentode

Default Re: MoCF

good luck with your aims Ken - I suggested the MoCF as some of the members/supporters are in the BVWS already. They issue a nice little newsletter 3 times a year as well, entitled "transmitting". You could contact the secretary who I am sure will be delighted to help put you in touch with people as regards the social aspects and to making new freinds in your area. Paul has already suggested the BVWS members guide as a starting point worth considering........ You are not alone!

The BVWS Committee will of course assist you with help and advice should you want to take this a step further in the future. And you are most welcome to call me on my published telephone number if you wish, and when you are ready.

regards

Terry

Last edited by terry123; 17th Mar 2005 at 9:57 pm.
Old 18th Mar 2005, 5:28 pm   #32
Ken
Hexode

Hi Terry

Thanks again for your suggestions and support. I have started a new thread to see if others are interested in having a meeting and to find out what ideas they might have.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 26th Mar 2005, 9:41 am   #33
ianj
Heptode

Angry Re: The NVCF: Time To Move

Hi Everyone....
Yes, the NEC is really ()^%£$£$ ing me off now, with the parking price increase--the parking should be free. I will not now go anywhere where I have to pay to park. In my area, the council put parking meters in at the local shops..................everyone cleared off, and the shops complained, and the council had to remove them.GOOD. I dont mind the £6 entrance fee as thats going to the bvws-- but Im not going to the NEC any more. Lets move to a new Central England venue who appreciates the custom, and where we can just pull up and park. Regards, ianj
Old 28th Mar 2005, 8:58 am   #34
terry123
Pentode

Myself and Mike will be investigating the National Motorcycle museum shortly, as provisional investigations look promising. An annoucement will be made as, when, if we move to this venue.

A thank you to all your suggestions on this topic.

Terry Martini
BVWS Comm
NVCF manger
Old 28th Mar 2005, 1:02 pm   #35
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I agree that the parking fee is excessively high considering the number of cars that attend the fair. £4-£5 would seem sensible to me. I would be in favor of moving it to the Motorcycle museum which is the other side of the M42 which is directly across the road to the NEC and with good transport links. (you may need to hire a taxi to get from the airport/ railway station to the museum which is only a mile or 2)

Add to that the distance from the car park to the entrance is fairly long and the fact that you had to walk through a nearly empty car park closer to the hall seems a bit silly to me. Why did the NEC let us park in the closer car park and then any "overspill" go into the other car park?

This is one reason why I bought that small fold up trolley after carrying a telly back and then feeling very knackered!

The refreshments arn't cheap either. I could bring some sandwiches but they would probably end up going flat after I put a big transformer on the top of them

Regards,

Christopher Capener
Old 28th Mar 2005, 5:17 pm   #36
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Have they rebuilt the motorcycle museum?? last I heard it was a pile of cinders, although on second thoughts THAT would make it cheaper 8^)

Mike
Old 16th Apr 2005, 5:57 pm   #37
DavidHunt
Retired Dormant Member

Re Moving the NVCF. You are MAD to consider moving. The car parking is very comparable to City parking charges for 4 hours - and DONT FORGET the free buses laid on when you buy that Ferrograph!. Dont underestimate how good the organisation is. At some venues you can spend half the day queuing for the car park. You also get a cash machine on site. The car parking charge is TRIVIAL compared to the whole day out cost - the early admission charge of £20 is however totally over the top.
Old 16th Apr 2005, 6:54 pm   #38
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Car parking charges and hall hire charges have been increasing at the NEC significantly. For those who don't go early (the vast majority I think), the car park charge is more than the entrance fee.

It's not just the NVCF that is suffering. Many trade shows have now left that venue and gone elsewhere, as have some major events such as the car show.

OK, so there are buses to the car park. But you wouldn't need 'em if the car park were next to the hall ! It's most odd that if you walk from the alloted car park to the hall you often walk through several unused car parks en route !

TTFN,
Jon
Old 20th Apr 2005, 8:20 pm   #39
Dickie
Octode

Choose a new venue carefully! I attended the Motorcycle Museum for an antique clock fair back in March. Also running was a coin fair. Not very big events, and even combined I think the floor area must have been a fraction of that used by the NVCF. Even so, we had to drive round for 10mins or so to find a parking space. (Although it was free).
The catering was also totally inadequate, consisting of one small cafeteria with a very slow queue.

Dickie
Old 20th Apr 2005, 10:16 pm   #40
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Having attended a couple of management conferences at the motorcycle museum I too would have misgivings about that venue.

Donnington Park would get my vote, as there is loads of parking, and an enormous hall easily as big as the NEC hall - the catering is also fairer priced!!

Cheers
Sean
Closed Thread