UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 5:35 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Smile Ferrograph 3A/N.. some help please

Hi everyone,
May I please ask for some help regarding my latest addition to my collection of tape recorders? It’s a Ferrograph 3A/N.

I would like to restore the machine by recapping it and checking resistors that have possibly gone out of tolerance. I only have a manual for a Series 4. Are the electronics identical? I tried to download a S3 manual but still have not been able to download one. Anyone can help please?

The other issue is the tape counter. It needs a belt that connects that counter to the pulley. Any ideas of what size of belt I will need? I had to take the counter off to clean it and there seems to be some clutch mechanism which enables free rotation of the timer hands to reset it. My suspicion is that it could be slipping as the hands don’t always perhaps advance forward or backwards while rotating the wheel underneath. The counter does not come apart for servicing unfortunately. There seem to be two tiny nuts on the same shaft as the clutch mechanism. Could these be tightened or whatever to help with the clutch mechanism? Any advice is very welcome please.

Finally, the transparent plastic cover of the tape counter seems to be held in place just by pressure of the black cover. Should the transparent cover be permanently attached to the plastic black part of the the counter?

Many thanks
Old 14th Oct 2018, 10:55 pm   #2
BillDWVA
Pentode

Default Re: Ferrograph 3A/N.. some help please

Not sure about circuit differences between these early models. Manuals for most models can be downloaded from Electrotanya.com so you may be able to compare?

Are you sure that the counter is driven by a belt? Normally it is driven by a flexible cable from a worm-gear arrangement on the take-up spool hub.

Have a look at ferrographworld website. Terry Martini will be able to answer all your questions and is able to provide spare parts for these decks.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:03 pm   #3
jascha
Hexode

Default Re: Ferrograph 3A/N.. some help please

Thanks for your reply. The Series 3 counter is driven by 2 belts that are connected by a pulley mounted on the deck itself, therefore connecting the counter to the motor.

I think I'm realizing that the circuitry is probably identical but if not it should be easy to figure out if resistances are out of tolerance, Capacitors will be changed anyhow as they are very old by now so worth changing them.
I measured the counter belt and the circumference measured around 25cm.
Closed Thread