UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2015, 9:33 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 78xx series regulators

For a better quality regulator.... more current, better accuracy, less noise and low-ish dropout, have a look at Linear Technology's LT1085 and family. They're a bit pricy but I've been using them since the mid 1980s and never had a problem. Farnell and RS do LT stuff.

David
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 12:29 pm   #22
WaveyDipole
Nonode

I have a variable power supply that I made several years ago in the 80's that is based on an LM317 regulator that drives a couple of 3055 transistors and gives me anything from 1.5v to 30v at up to 3amps. It wasn't made to the same standard that I would have applied if I had made it today, but it is still going strong and I still use it as a bench PSU from time to time.

On the subject of regulator pinout, I was curious as to why the difference in pinout arrangement for 78xx and 79xx?
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 12:48 pm   #23
jimmc101
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
On the subject of regulator pinout, I was curious as to why the difference in pinout arrangement for 78xx and 79xx?
The substrate of the IC is directly connected to the case for heatsinking, it must be the most negative pin of the IC, for the 78xx this is GND for the 79xx it is the input, hence the difference.
(The substrate is always p-type, there is no opposite polarity version in normal use.)

Jim
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 9:52 pm   #24
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I've been watching this interesting thread and have a question. What is the normal failure mode of an LM317K?

To experiment I have made up a small board with the regulator mounted on a piece of 130mmx70mmx1.5mm aluminium. The smoothed input voltage is 26V and output set to 12.8V.

The test load is a 21W car bulb, so current about 2A - very near the maximum rating for the LM317, so I reckon I'm pushing it in this test.

As the regulator heats up, a scope across the load shows the ripple increasing from a few millivolts, to volts. The aluminium heatsink is obviously inadequate (very hot to touch), but this is only a test. Nevertheless the voltage seems to hold steady.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens if I just leave it on. I assumed it would just shut down - does that mean go open circuit at the output until it cools? I can't quite work out from the data sheet what happens when the junction temp exceeds 150C!

Normal max load will be about 1.5A when I build it properly and use it.

Thanks

Ian
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 10:58 pm   #25
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

The other test is to feed 60V in and generate regulated 48V. Then short it.

Or 5V in and 1.35V out and short it.

Or 5V in and 1.35V out and put +60V on output.
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 11:44 pm   #26
kalee20
Dekatron

That last test (5V in and then whack 60V on the output) is likely to damage the regulator and is why the anti-parallel diode is advised across regulators.

I don't know about the normal failure mode of an LM317, but it's safest to assume that any semiconductor device, when it fails, fails short-circuit. So in the case of a regulator, add a thyristor overvoltage crowbar circuit if your load is likely to be damaged by a shorted regulator.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 7:24 am   #27
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The few LM317's I've had fail still have had an OP, but unadjustable and unstable. Failure was due to a short between pins.

Andy.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 11:13 am   #28
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
it's safest to assume that any semiconductor device, when it fails, fails short-circuit.
You *know* what sort of valuable items I want to protect.
Old 4th Feb 2015, 9:56 am   #29
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmc101 View Post
The substrate of the IC is directly connected to the case for heatsinking, it must be the most negative pin of the IC, for the 78xx this is GND for the 79xx it is the input, hence the difference.
(The substrate is always p-type, there is no opposite polarity version in normal use.)
Jim, thanks. That seems to make sense regarding the substrate, but presumably that would also mean that you can't mount a 7812 and 7912 on the same heatsink block?
Old 4th Feb 2015, 10:21 am   #30
julie_m
Dekatron

Not without at least one mica washer, no.