UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2017, 12:02 am   #1
bailey14
Diode

Default 1980s Blaupunkt Toronto

I am restoring a 1988 car which has a Toronto SQR46 fitted. Unfortunately the seek button does not work and the code and manual are missing. Can anyone please help with advice on how to remove the top and bottom metal covers so that I can explore the seek switch problem and how I will find the code.

Many thanks
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:07 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 1980s Blaupunkt Toronto

I've replied to your PM, but, to answer your question about the top & bottom covers, in almost all Blaupunkt stereos & radios of that era and earlier, they are just a push on fit, and can be prised off with a screwdriver blade along the sides & back. At one time the code was available, with proof of ownership, from a firm in Calne, Wiltshire (O.E. Electronics), for a fee of (then) about £15, but I'm not sure if OE are still in business. However if the radio & cassette player work without the code is it really neccesary to know the number?
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:40 am   #3
bailey14
Diode

Many thanks. I will give O.E a call and in the meantime will take the covers off and have a closer look at the seek rocker switch. I will leave the unit on for 30 minutes to clear the ---- display and hopefully it will return back to CODE. Do you have any spare parts for this unit?
Old 10th Oct 2017, 11:25 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To gain access to the Rocker Switch, the front panel has to be carefully removed. I'm not sure now whether it is plugged directly on to the 'motherboard, or attached by ribbon cable(s). The plastic front panel is clipped on, then, IIRC, the front PCB with the display and button assembly can be removed. Since my last PM I've found that it may be possible to recover the code via a 'Car Stereo Codes' disc. These are/were available on eBay, but, besides the disc, an interface cable to connect the stereo to a computer, would be needed.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 3:26 pm   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

Blaupunkt codes are encrypted in the serial number on the side, try eBay cost about £1.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 6:46 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I didn't know they could be had for as little as that!
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:57 am   #7
bailey14
Diode

Thank you for the ebay tip, but the unit is 1980's Blaupunkt and the serial number does not match those listed on sites for £1.00.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:35 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've been unable to send you a PM, because, according to the PM system, you have exceeded your quota, but I'll see if I have a suitable rocker switch. The Bremen SQR45 & 46 were the European versions of the Toronto 45 & 46 in any case, the main difference being that the Bremen had ARI (A Traffic Broadcast System no longer in use, since the development of RDS).
Closed Thread