UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2012, 1:05 pm   #41
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: "Proper" receiver and transmitter for new amateur radio enthusiast?

Martin,

Do not put "words in my mouth" just because I mention Morse. My statement had no intent to start an off topic "bun fight" but offer some advice to a budding ham and make mention that cw was as strong as ever.

Any way I understood you could use an elecraft K2 for foundation license , that is a commercially approved kit even though you build it yourself

Mike
Old 26th Feb 2012, 12:59 am   #42
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Mike, my comment was in no way directed at you, it was an observation of the general trend of the thread, which was erring off-topic, and based on several previous posts. In fact, that you had even mentioned morse had passed me by completely.

As regards the K2, i think this, like the use of pre-converted PMR, is another grey area. I see no reason why it would not be allowed, but i havent seen a ruling by ofcom regarding it.

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 26th Feb 2012, 3:55 am   #43
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Martin,

I agree with your sentiment to get on air and find your interest.

Regards
Mike
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:04 am   #44
Sean Williams
Dekatron

As a FL instructor, Commercially availabile kit radios are acceptable for use by FL holders.

Read, and enjoy.....

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...cence-info.doc

I think that clarifies the position.

Cheers
Sean
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:23 am   #45
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The link posted by Sean doesn't seem to work from here tonight; Ofcom's website may be undergoing maintenance, of course, but the relevant text seems to be this, extracted from the Foundation licence terms and limitations booklet BR68F which can be found here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...r68f/br68f.htm

"Apparatus

4(1) The Licensee shall only use transmitting equipment conforming to EC standards or commercially available kits transmitting inside amateur bands only." [My italics]

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:05 pm   #46
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Hi Chris,

Good luck studying and passing the Foundation Licence – interesting to see you are looking for vintage gear.

I’d agree with Keith in post 19 and suggest a Codar AT5. Very reliable and fixable almost regardless of their condition, but restricted to about 10 watts 160/80m, CW/AM. There’s lots of info about them on the web (I’ve plenty of info if needed). However, they often get separated from their mains power supplies, and although simple enough to make, if you decide to get one, look out for one with the PSU unless you actually want to build one.

You probably won’t work much DX unless you have a pretty good aerial system, but the UK AM nets on 3615 (and 3625) on 80m and the night time 1977 net on 160m should have some members within your reach.

The http://www.vmars.org.uk/ may give you some other ideas.

You can make simple a SWR meter, dummy load, ATU, aerial current meter to help you get the maximum out of whatever tx you eventually acquire.

As for receivers, others have already suggested plenty. Codar did a matching receiver, the T28, but was never up to much.

Regards,

Ian
Old 5th Mar 2012, 2:11 pm   #47
Dave UXB
Retired Dormant Member

I can heartily recommend a Yaesu FT-817.
I got one and put up a half-sized G5RV and made my first transatlantic contact to Canada on 5w.
If you have the space, try the full-sized G5RV. It will either work brilliantly or you'll have an excuse to get something else.!

Old 5th Mar 2012, 6:12 pm   #48
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Likewise with FT101B and a half G5RV at 40 feet N-S orientation.

Yesterday a G8 friend came to operate the station and we got 5&9s from Hull, Manchester, Sweden, Bosnia, Mass and New Hampshire in USA all on 40 or 20M with 70W. Hull and Manchester are both on the 'end' of the aerial.

73 - Bob
Old 19th Apr 2012, 9:54 pm   #49
Radio Wrangler

This IS a vintage forum, and somehow Chris doesn't sound like the sort of person who would linger long with a foundation licence. Once amazing and unreachable gear is now affordable and you're probably well past that foundation ticket by now. Have a look at the RACAL MA79 exciter 100mW output intended to drive linear amplifiers.

Maybe an RA17 with ISB box for receive, or maybe an RA1217 to have the receiver in one box?

These things are achievable for less than the going price of older Japanese amateur equipment. And the learning potential is so much greater.

David
Old 19th Apr 2012, 10:47 pm   #50
Chris Wilson
Heptode

Funnily enough I took my foundation test about three or four weeks ago and have the intermediate booked for the 30th of this month. I have to admit I have not transmitted on air once in the interim. Too busy with work, learning for the next exam, and generally realising just how little I know. My long wire has become redundant before it's even had a signal sent from it, I now know luck has resulted in four mature trees in nearly a perfect square formation able to hang a top band quad. I hanker for an antenna analyser, to check these theories out. This recession means I do a lot more hankering than buying, but I guess we are all feeling the pinch? My FT-902DM is doing sterling service listening, and as it listens I hope I learn. Currently making copper J-Poles for 2 metres and 70 cms to hopefully learn proper air-craft on local nets before venturing HF. Working for food has taken the place of talking for England, sadly. Maybe I am kidding myself and I am just shy? Back to cocoa and my intermediate book, at least the wife looks slimmer, all these late nights away from the boozer, studying in my den, has her thinking I have a bimbo on the side. I should be so lucky! Googling RACAL MA79 as the milk heats!
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 9:51 pm   #51
Radio Wrangler

Great!

Have a look for antenna noise bridge while you're at it and you can build something that is quite effective for antenna analysis, as you have a receiver in that FT902.

I hadn't much brass as a schoolkid, so I scrounged old stuff and boiled it down for bits and made whatever I needed. I learned an awful lot more than I would have if I could have afforded to buy everything.

If you DO fancy an MA79, it will transceive with the RA117 and the RA1217, but not with the RA17.

David