UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2020, 7:37 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Pye type trimmer tool

May be of interest, I was looking to make up a trimmer tool for realignment of a Pye radio,I saw Wife's empty Parker refill in recycling and had an idea, I pulled off the end which houses the ball, washed it through with thinners to remove any ink residue, then just squeezed the end to fit, finally covered in shrink sleeve job done, will last forever or until lost.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07380.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	205630   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07381.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	205631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07382.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	205632  
Old 13th May 2020, 8:14 am   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Pye type trimmer tool

An ingenious example of creative reuse at its best.

Alan
Old 13th May 2020, 9:50 am   #3
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

An ingenious and well-executed recycling/upcycling project, but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?
Old 13th May 2020, 10:27 am   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry View Post
...... but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?
I don't think you are wrong but I guess that's the reason for the sleeving. I have an old RS branded trimmer tool which has metal blades sleeved in plastic. Much stronger and more positive in use than the 100% plastic versions.

Alan
Old 13th May 2020, 1:55 pm   #5
jonnybear
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry View Post
An ingenious and well-executed recycling/upcycling project, but isn't the main reason that alignment tools are normally made of plastic to avoid 'hand capacitance' effects that would occur with metal tools? Or am I wrong (again)?
Hexagonal and some blade trimming tools are plastic/nylon as they enter in to the core of the transformer to tune, in this case the cores are connected with a brass screw which is external to the transformer so will not affect tuning. the sleeving is to avoid touching other components and causing short circuit damage.
John
Old 13th May 2020, 8:35 pm   #6
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Thanks for the additional info. I shall now make myself one and have a go at a Mullard MAS82 which needs the IFTs peaking before returning it to its owner.. The wax holding these is quite stiff and my all-plastic adjusting tool just twisted without moving the cores.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:50 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

Terry, I'd be very careful if the cores are that stiff, you could end up with a cracked/jammed core.
May I suggest a gentle heating with a hairdrier before you tackle them?
Old 14th May 2020, 1:51 am   #8
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Thanks Andy. I have managed to soften the wax by gentle heating with a hair drier as you suggest, and got them to turn a little. They're still reluctant to move and I don't want them to break so I'll try a bit more heat tomorrow. This particular set has been a right pain to sort out so the last thing I need now is busted/jammed IFT cores.