UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 1st Jun 2020, 1:48 am   #1561
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Buyer beware seems to sum it up nicely. Probably stems from an ancient Roman scam.

Forgive me but a string of emojis can say a thousand words in this case.

Steve
Old 1st Jun 2020, 7:41 am   #1562
Radio Wrangler

There are plenty of consumers out to take a vendor for a ta-ta if they can. Excuses like 'They're insured for it' and 'It's nothing seen in their turnover' and 'they're fleecing us anyway' abound. While plenty of vendors think 'There's one born every minute' and "He won't be back, but there's plenty more where he came from'

It's all rather messy.

Caveat emptor!
Caveat vendor!

It's beginning to feel good when you come across something which isn't a scam. This forum (those damned Romans!) is a calm, protected backwater on the internet. Whenever I look elsewhere all my scam-sensors start tingling if not screaming.

But amidst all the nastiness, let's treasure the good guys. The nastier the rest gets, the more special they become.

David
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:29 am   #1563
turretslug
Dekatron

On the subject of general consumer awareness and caution, I believe that sincere (sine cera) originates from a similar time, place and circumstance as caveat emptor. Being a shyster is as old as the hills.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:10 am   #1564
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
I play a little sax still, but the tight clarinet embouchure and the tricky middle register now completely throw me And even though I worked in acoustics for 25 years, I still don't have a solid handle on why a clarinet overblows to an octave and a fifth (behaving like a 1/4 wave tube) and a sax to an octave, when the termination conditions are so similar. There we go!
That's because a clarinet in cross-section is basically a cylinder until you get to the bell whereas the saxophone is based on the gradually flaring profile of the oboe.
barretter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2020, 3:10 pm   #1565
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Different woods used for musical instruments such as the oboe and clarinet definitely change the tone of the instrument. Musicians swear by their particular choice, and type of mouthpiece and ligature.
(I once played a brass clarinet in a shop, which was apparently a thing for marching bands before plastic became available and dealt with the 'playing in the rain' problem with wooden instruments. I was amazed that it sounded entirely like a clarinet (woody!), and nothing like a soprano sax which it resembled. But yes, the mouthpiece makes a huge difference; much more than the rest of the instrument which generally works if not full of backlash and leaky pads. Charlie Parker played a plastic sax for a bit).
Charlie Parker's plastic sax was British! made by Grafton in London.
It sold at Christie's in 1994 for £93,500 presumably because it still contained some of Parker's spit.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 3:21 pm   #1566
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

New, most expensive AudioQuest speaker cable, the Dragon Zero. £5900 for a 1 metre pair. If you need a more typical 2.5 metres it is £13,400.

Typical BS. They have (mysteriously) eliminated characteristic impedance. "By eliminating the Mythical Creatures speaker cable’s characteristic impedance, current compression and distortion of the signal (current) transient is significantly reduced" they say. Oh yes - everyone needs to banish characteristic impedance. Think of the benefit to 5G comms!

It also features a "Dielectric-Bias System with Carbon-Level Radio-Frequency Trap (DBS)
All insulation is also a dielectric whose electrical properties affect the integrity of the signal. When the insulation is unbiased, dielectric-involvement (absorption and non-linear release of energy back into the signal flow) causes different amounts of time delay (phase shift) for different frequencies and energy levels, which is a significant problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s multi-patented DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes the nonlinear time delays, resulting in clearer sound emerging from a “blacker” background."

No measurements to support those claims of course. Just words.

And other nonsense. https://www.audioquest.com/cables/sp...es/dragon-zero

In fairness they do a range of speaker cables at the £20 level too, that are real honest copper.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2020, 3:24 pm   #1567
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Different woods used for musical instruments such as the oboe and clarinet definitely change the tone of the instrument. Musicians swear by their particular choice, and type of mouthpiece and ligature.
(I once played a brass clarinet in a shop, which was apparently a thing for marching bands before plastic became available and dealt with the 'playing in the rain' problem with wooden instruments. I was amazed that it sounded entirely like a clarinet (woody!), and nothing like a soprano sax which it resembled. But yes, the mouthpiece makes a huge difference; much more than the rest of the instrument which generally works if not full of backlash and leaky pads. Charlie Parker played a plastic sax for a bit).
It sold at Christie's in 1994 for £93,500 presumably because it still contained some of Parker's spit.
The first time I saw a Grafton (in white plastic) was the sax player in Supercharge, Albie Donnelly was using one. And what a sound he was getting! That was in around 1977 and I've always been fascinated with Grafton saxes ever since. I mean, I don't own one, I'm not a sax player but I love hearing and reading about them.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 3:41 pm   #1568
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

They even patented the Dielectric Bias System (attached). Basically a battery connected between two additional conducting features in the cable. I'm going to refrain from comment - but I really look forward to yours!

Craig
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audioquest DBS.pdf (1.40 MB, 59 views)
Old 1st Jun 2020, 3:47 pm   #1569
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
On the subject of general consumer awareness and caution, I believe that sincere (sine cera) originates from a similar time, place and circumstance as caveat emptor. Being a shyster is as old as the hills.
"Sincere" derives from the Latin "sincerus" which means clean, not from "sine cera".
Old 1st Jun 2020, 4:08 pm   #1570
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The first time I saw a Grafton (in white plastic) was the sax player in Supercharge, Albie Donnelly was using one. And what a sound he was getting! That was in around 1977 and I've always been fascinated with Grafton saxes ever since. I mean, I don't own one, I'm not a sax player but I love hearing and reading about them.
Another famous user of the Grafton plastic sax was Ornette Coleman. He can be seen holding one on the sleeve of his LP Something else!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grafton.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	207386  

Last edited by barretter; 1st Jun 2020 at 4:12 pm. Reason: Misspelling of "something"
Old 1st Jun 2020, 4:26 pm   #1571
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

They took out an updated version - a "continuance" of the earlier one, attached.

Of course you could measure (or rather not) the effect of all this flummery using a null tester https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt3kANA3Q

But which manufacturer would want to be confused with reality?

Craig
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audioquest DBS V2.pdf (1.33 MB, 56 views)
Old 1st Jun 2020, 5:28 pm   #1572
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
In fairness they do a range of speaker cables at the £20 level too, that are real honest copper.
Might be a typo and they entered their pricing table in reverse order.

David
Old 1st Jun 2020, 5:39 pm   #1573
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Might be a typo and they entered their pricing table in reverse order.

David
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...-speaker-cable
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...-custom-length
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...-speaker-cable

Craig
Old 1st Jun 2020, 5:57 pm   #1574
Radio Wrangler

Something I've always expected of the high-end business remains unfulfilled.

I have never seen an advert offering high-end equipment decontamination services - the restoration of high-end equipment which has been used with other equipment not appropriate to its stature.

Passing wrong signals through it will surely undo many days of careful and skilled breaking-in, if it doesn't do irreversible damage.

If cheap interconnects or cables have been used, there will be tiny amounts of inadequate material left behind on the connectors and binding posts. Obviously the connectors will have to be replaced by either factory originals or pundit approved tweaky ones.

David
Old 1st Jun 2020, 6:00 pm   #1575
Radio Wrangler

Clearly they made an error and got the pricing structure reversed, those are the expensive ones. Straight forward copper and 100% free of crap that might hamper the sound.

David
Old 1st Jun 2020, 7:28 pm   #1576
knobtwiddler
Octode

Quote:
New, most expensive AudioQuest speaker cable, the Dragon Zero. £5900 for a 1 metre pair. If you need a more typical 2.5 metres it is £13,400.

Typical BS. They have (mysteriously) eliminated characteristic impedance. "By eliminating the Mythical Creatures speaker cable’s characteristic impedance, current compression and distortion of the signal (current) transient is significantly reduced" they say. Oh yes - everyone needs to banish characteristic impedance. Think of the benefit to 5G comms!

It also features a "Dielectric-Bias System with Carbon-Level Radio-Frequency Trap (DBS)
All insulation is also a dielectric whose electrical properties affect the integrity of the signal. When the insulation is unbiased, dielectric-involvement (absorption and non-linear release of energy back into the signal flow) causes different amounts of time delay (phase shift) for different frequencies and energy levels, which is a significant problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s multi-patented DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes the nonlinear time delays, resulting in clearer sound emerging from a “blacker” background."

Craig
If you look at the seller's other items you will see he has an audio analyser to sell. Either he is a dealer, or a very confused audiophool.

Edit - maybe he thinks there is a fault with the analyser as it isn't telling him the audiophool cables are any better than cooker wire.
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:45 pm   #1577
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post
Quote:

Craig
If you look at the seller's other items you will see he has an audio analyser to sell. Either he is a dealer, or a very confused audiophool.

Edit - maybe he thinks there is a fault with the analyser as it isn't telling him the audiophool cables are any better than cooker wire.
Love it.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:52 pm   #1578
turretslug
Dekatron

A mischievous thought occurs to me that maybe a sceptical miscreant in their copywriting department came up with "Dielectric-Bias System with Carbon-Level Radio-Frequency Trap" - or Double BS for short....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
"Sincere" derives from the Latin "sincerus" which means clean, not from "sine cera".
Well, there's a thing- a brief search shows that that's the generally accepted scholarly explanation nowadays, and I certainly wouldn't seek to differ with those who've obviously applied themselves vastly more thoroughly to that avenue of knowledge than me. I was thinking of our Latin teacher's explanation that it derived from dodgy market-stall honey sellers who would supposedly apply a thin top layer of honey to a jar-full of beeswax. He probably heard it from his Latin teacher et cetera.... At least nowadays the internet allows quick access to informed verification on so many things (with some severe provisos, of course!).
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:53 pm   #1579
AC/HL
Dekatron

Several posts referring to an eBay sale deleted. Some posts referring to the same products but via different routes remain.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 12:07 am   #1580
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I have never seen an advert offering high-end equipment decontamination services
David
Oddly one of the problems with the good old Garrard 301 and 401 decks is that the linkages are all cadmium passivated steel. It was of course perfectly acceptable at the time these decks were made. Indeed the standard mil spec plating of chassis and connector bodies was cadmium based (certainly in the early/mid 80's when I was designing mil stuff).

Of course now known for its toxicity.

One of the things that people who restore Garrard decks (and charge good money to do so) is to strip off the cadmium and either zinc or chrome plate.

Craig