UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2019, 12:11 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Garrard 4SPA replacement cartridge advice

I've made very good progress getting my Bush SRP30C working well, I've changed all the wax capacitors and rubber mounting bushes and mechanically it's nice and quite.
One problem, though the sound quality is excellent there isn't much volume to it.
I have to turn it up to full volume for normal listening and with quietly recorded records it's just not enough.
I'm 99% sure it's the cartridge, I've disconnected it and connected my ipod to the terminals and it belts out fantastic loud and un-distorted sound.
I would imagine the cartridge is the original one (Crystal GC8) and after 60 years well passed it's best.
I've done some searches about this but I must admit it's all rather bewildering, just wondering if any one else has had the same problem and found a successful solution.
Thanks
Old 5th Nov 2019, 1:56 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Garrard 4SPA replacement cartridge advice

I’ve yet to encounter a fully working GC8 cartridge. On the other hand, its predecessor, the GC2, seems pretty long-lived, though a bit peaky at high frequencies.

Martin
Old 5th Nov 2019, 2:20 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It sounds like you'll need a BSR X5M stereo-compatible cartridge as previously suggested by me. it will fully load your 2 stage amplifier. Re-set the tracking weight to 5 grams.
If you don't intend to play 78s, then get one of the Chinese Cheapos (£1.36 inc. P&P!) and fashion a (secure, er, not BluTak) mount for it. You'll need to bridge the LH and RH channels. There's plenty enough room in the tone arm head for this. it will not give quite as much output as the BSR.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 4:00 pm   #4
MurphyNut
Heptode

Thanks Edward, Looks like the BSR X5M stereo-compatible cartridge then, I did an ebay search and found one from USA and quite pricey. I've also noticed there are BSR SX6M cartridges, cheaper and from UK sellers, I was wondering what the difference is?
Are there other sources that can be recommended other than ebay if I need the one you specifically recommended?
Thanks for your patience, bit of a learning curve here!
Old 5th Nov 2019, 5:26 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well the BSR SX6M cartridge is a full Stereophonic cartridge, so you will need to bridge the LH and RH channels in order to hear all of the record's content. It will not give as much output as the BSR X5M, but it is an acceptable option. Thes can be bought from Musonic, The Stylus Lady and Mantra Audio amongst others.