UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2019, 9:26 pm   #1
peterpiper2727
Retired Dormant Member

Default Newbie help required. Bush DAC70.

Hello there, I am totally new to this hobby and I have a Bush DAC70 C.

I know it's a silly question, but could someone please tell me what the "C" denotes as all the pics I can find online are all type 70 without the "C"

The radio did work then one day nothing, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Peter.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 9:33 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Newbie help required. Bush DAC70.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

What is your skill level and what test equipment do you have?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:21 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bush_dac70c.html

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 11:50 am   #4
paulsherwin

It's just a slightly revised version of the DAC70. I'm not aware there ever was an A or B model.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:28 pm   #5
music-centre
Heptode

I think the DAC70C was a black case with chrome trim and the DAC70 was a Brown case with Brass trim otherwise the same.
Steve.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:16 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Tape out as well so far as I can make out.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 4:30 pm   #7
peterpiper2727
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so much for your quick replies! Looks like its the same as the 70 then. I am complete newb, I did a skill centre course at Milbrook in Southampton many many years ago and covered lots of stuff about valves, but you know I have forgotten 99 % of it. Came out with City & Guilds certificates, and was basically trying to get employment in TV servicing. Never got job. Any way have no test gear but could easy get a multi meter.
To be honest was thinking of buying a working DAC70 off eBay and swap out components until I found what was gone on mine. I know its a cack handed way of doing it so would be glad of any helpful advice. Many thanks in advance.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:04 pm   #8
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper2727 View Post
To be honest was thinking of buying a working DAC70 off eBay and swap out components until I found what was gone on mine. I know its a cack handed way of doing it so would be glad of any helpful advice. Many thanks in advance.
You'll probably end up with two dead radios!

I suggest you download the service sheet and study it:-

https://www.service-data.com/product.php/600/945/m10600

Once you understand the operation of the circuit, particularly the power supply and output stages, get yourself a meter and start fault finding.

You'll find plenty of people here willing to assist, but they'll expect you to do some thinking for yourself and not just respond to an answer with another question.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:17 pm   #9
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Newbie help required. Bush DAC70.

Quote:
I am complete newb, I did a skill centre course at Milbrook in Southampton many many years ago and covered lots of stuff about valves, but you know I have forgotten 99 % of it. Came out with City & Guilds certificates, and was basically trying to get employment in TV servicing.
Not a complete newb, then!

Quote:
To be honest was thinking of buying a working DAC70 off eBay and swap out components until I found what was gone on mine. I know its a cack handed way of doing it so would be glad of any helpful advice.
There's some good stuff here to refresh your memory: http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html
Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:58 pm   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
I think that is one of the quickest ways known to end up with _two_ defective DAC70s!

You'll need a multimeter, but probably not much else in the way of test gear to get started. The manufacturer's service manual is available 'up top' and is worth buyng (or buy the DVD of all the manuals). It looks to be a convnetional design so shouldn't cause too many problems.

A couple of points :

1) This is a 'live chassis' set meaning the circuitry is directly connected to the mains. The valve heaters are in series across the mains with a series resistor (R19 on the manfacturer's circuit), the HT+ supply for the anodes is obtained by half-wave rectifying the mains using the UY85 valve.

2) Change C18 (Manufacturer's circuit) before you do anything else. It's commonly called 'That Capacitor' here. If it goes electrically leaky (and it will!) it can damage the UL84 output valve, maybe the UY85 rectifier, and more seriously the output transformer.
Closed Thread