UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2016, 10:40 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Anyone know anything about the Memorex SA-550?

I wasn't certain whether to pose this question here or in the 'Sets, Patrts,etc. info. wanted section. To explain, someone living some distance away from me has found one of these left behind by the previous occupant of their house, and described it as being 'a twin cassette & CD player' I haven't seen the machine, and know nothing of the model, nor does googling it bring up any info, so I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a little more about it. I don't even know if this is a mains powered 'midi HiFi' or a large portable stereo.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 11:20 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone know anything about the Memorex SA-550?

Memorex was bought by the Tandy group I think. There's a Radio Shack SA-155 which is a mini amp, so I expect yours is similar.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 11:25 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Yes, Tandy used the Memorex brand in the UK, because nobody had heard of their Realistic / Radio Shack US house brands.
Old 27th Apr 2016, 6:27 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well Realistic was used extensively in the UK, so it was known. But I can quite see the point that the perception of the Memorex brand name would possibly have been better, albeit a manufacturer of cassette tapes now 'making' hifi components.
Old 27th Apr 2016, 8:42 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I had a feeling that Memorex stereos, etc., were somehow associated with Tandy, but, as I said, I haven't even seen the set in question, and may have to wait until I do in order to find out what type of equipment it is. Thanks, guys.
Old 27th Apr 2016, 11:05 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have now found out that the SA-550 is a stacking Hi-Fi with at least two seperate components, but can still find neither an ownre's manual, or a service manual on any on-line site.
Old 27th Apr 2016, 12:23 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, definitely a Tandy-distributed product, but the OEM could have been anyone really, quite possibly Korean. They were usually aimed towards the "value" end of the market though were generally reasonable quality.
Closed Thread