UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2015, 9:37 pm   #41
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett 5th July

Quite simple really we either support the BVWS or it does not exsist.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 9:38 pm   #42
Cobaltblue

Dave is right and many members find themselves in dire situations from time to time, it can happen to any of us at any time.

Hamish also quite right

Like Dave I am along term member 30 years or so

I would argue though if you can't afford your subs you cant you afford to travel to a meet and buy anything in the auction.

I think I would be prepared to pay a little more for my membership to ensure long standing members ( say 5 years+) who find themselves in temporary financial straits do not miss out on the bulletin and other membership benefits.

Call it an insurance policy for our own financial future

We are a society whose aim is to preserve old radios and TV's bizarrely often the people best able to do this are the unemployed

Not inflexible that should never be our stance, just trying to ensure that the unscrupulous are not taking advantage.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 10:23 pm   #43
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have been a sporadic member of the BVWS (currently expired)

i can understand the "members only" ethos to bid at auction, but if prices are being depressed to these levels discussed, then surely there comes a point where the running of an auction becomes pointless?

Sure the society sees a little commission, but if you weigh up the costs of sorting everything out the return on investment must be horrendously low.

By opening the auctions to members of the public, you increase the pool of interested bidders, this could then also increase interest in the society as a byproduct?

At the very least is should push prices up a little - a bit more fresh competition.

Membership of the society for me used to mean a glossy mag to read, and some excellent DVDs, never did I view the swapmeets as being part of the benefit of membership, although I appreciate that this may be seen differently by others.

Sadly this situation is not exclusive to vintage wireless collecting - modern life tends to mean that collecting is no longer a viable hobby.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 10:51 pm   #44
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I didn't need the tin hat after all Good points by everyone and particularly Sean who, as I recall, is quite experienced in the auction area. It's all about encouragement I think. Too my surprise, someone sought me out at Punnets Town last year. He lived nearby [Eastbourne] but was put off by anxiety that he would be rejected at the door. He said he was encouraged to go along by my remarks on here. He even rang me on the Monday to say that he had joined the BVWS. This is the direct opposite to saying to people you HAVE to join. It works!. If people take advantage they need to be confronted but directly-not just with "the rules" alone.

Dave
Old 7th Jul 2015, 11:44 pm   #45
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I am glad these comments have been allowed to go on as there are a lot of sensible suggestions. Put another way there is nothing I disagree with.

Very lucky in my position to have been a member for many years though sadly not at present able to travel down to any meetings etc.

Do remember years ago at Harpenden looking and wishing at so much stuff beyond my reach where as sadly now the prices are indeed too far the other end of the spectrum.

Let's hope the BVWS and other groups etc that give so much pleasure to us carry on for many years yet.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 12:40 am   #46
paulsherwin

As a non BVWS member I suspect that the committee think that limiting auctions to members will encourage people to join and cough up their subs. They may be right in this. There's a tradeoff between encouraging new members and discouraging auction bidders.

I do think there's been a trend away from joining formal clubs and societies over the last couple of decades, encouraged by broader internet culture. The BVWS may be fighting a losing battle.

None of the above should be interpreted as a criticism of the BVWS or its active members.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 12:53 am   #47
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I wasn't involved Paul but I think that was indeed the thinking at one time, perhaps inflamed by the Dealer incidents but it's not working currently. There's a lot of southern members [I think] and the main auctions are down here! The important thing is to keep the Society going, I suggest, even if only on a historical archive resource basis. The other mags are great and contribute to this but only the Bulletin has an organisation behind it. I don't think anyone would interpret your always well balanced views as negative-if that helps
Dave!
Old 8th Jul 2015, 7:34 am   #48
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Just considering prices, I had two "complaints" on my stall at RWB.

One person said that the marked prices were "too close to those on internet auction sites, so he wouldnt be able to buy and then re-sell for a profit".

Tough! I sell things to clear my surplus, not to help other people make a profit.

Another was tempted by an item, (marked at £1) but didnt have "that sort of money spare".

These are the exceptions, I am sure, but it does indicate that there may be many reasons for prices to be low at present.

My personal view is that it is a combination of older collectors passing on, less space available in modern homes, and that collecting is not as popular as it once was.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 10:03 am   #49
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I have a recollection from a comment that was made about one of the Special Auctions that there are some legal requirements for the auctions available to the general public. These do not apply to those restricted to members and this is why there is a restriction.

Perhaps someone could confirm this. The fact that guests are free to buy from stall holders suggests there is no intention to exclude buyers for any other reason.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 11:35 am   #50
threeseven
Octode

Auction prices are low at the moment but more or less everything usually sells. If the auctions were made public I think that would deter BVWS members from attending, I know I would be. The auctions are a part of BVWS member privileges for which we pay our subs.
Also, many of the lots are bequeathed to the BVWS by deceased members families and others that believe they are giving to a good cause. The funds realised support the BVWS to allow the world of vintage radio etc to survive for future generations.
The NVCF is there for the public, a substantial effort on part of the BVWS. Actually I feel there should be two NVCF events per year.
Many markets suffer low prices in difficult economic times, thats life.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 12:35 pm   #51
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

This thread has wandered off from the original subject so it's probably time to bring down the hammer.

Threeseven's last post sums up the situation very aptly.