UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2014, 7:33 pm   #21
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Default Re: NVCF Warwickshire - Sunday May 11th

First time for me and loved it! Came away with a Goodsell schools radio, a nice Steepletone repro and a box containing 3 roberts radios, all working when I got home. Not bad for £20 for the lot

Thanks to all that organised.
Old 11th May 2014, 7:54 pm   #22
bobbyball
Octode

Not too long been home myself after yet another very enjoyable - and successful - NVCF event. I am not very good at "early mornings" as those who know me will testify but it is worth it for this event!

A heartfelt thanks again to Mike and the team - including the friendly and helpful WEC staff - for another very enjoyable event. Even managed to sell something!
Old 11th May 2014, 9:24 pm   #23
audiomagpie
Heptode

Mike doing a live promotion from the event earlier today on local radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01y44f9 about 1hr 20mins in.

The DAB suggestion didn't go down so well though!!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 11th May 2014, 9:33 pm   #24
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I'd just like to echo the previous sentiments. The show was nice and relaxed this year and the extra space was definitely welcome. I often come away with unusual non-radio related items, and this year was no exception - a blowlamp and a microscope - thus demonstrating the wide range of traders at the NVCF. Thanks again to the BVWS and the organising committee, with special thanks to the efficient and hard-working Bring & Buy team, and roll on next year!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th May 2014, 10:04 pm   #25
Dickie
Octode

I wonder who bought that Pifco carbon-arc sun lamp? - And if they've plucked up the courage to fire it up

Richard, BVWS member
Old 11th May 2014, 10:58 pm   #26
murphymad
Heptode

Hello Dickie, Everyone.

Thank you for the kind works of appreciation. We have a really good, hard working team to organise and run the NVCF event, so MY thanks also go out to all of those who help on the day and everyone who supports the event by taking a stall or three, and all the visitors who make it the success that it is.

In respect to the wristbands. I'm sorry but they are here to stay.

The hall did have a more spacious look to it, but that was not due to lower stall numbers, in fact there were two more stalls than last year, but the new extension to the building allowed us to move things around and reduce the lengths of some of the stall runs where there was often congestion. This really did help both in getting the fire officer to approve our setup as gang ways were made wider and he was happy with that.

As the new extension was not even there when we did the stall layout plan, best use was not made of the new area this time and it looked a little empty, but next year we will fill it with stalls.

Oh Dear! What has Greg done... Me on the Wireless.... Time for a stiff drink.

Mike...
Old 12th May 2014, 8:52 am   #27
SeanStevens
Octode

Many thanks to all organisers - superb as usual.

Both Ian and I had a great day, although tiring!

When reloading the car to come home I found that I had a flat tyre - even that didn't spoil the day as, upon asking, a kindly stall holder lent me a pump and I got everything and everybody home.
Tyre was found to have a nail in it! I changed that this morning and normal service has been resumed!

Both Ian and I were careful not to buy more than we sold. Ian got speakercloth and I got two speakers for some cabinets and a tin of gramophone needles.

Brilliant event - great people and lots of space in the loft. Until.......

SEAN
Old 12th May 2014, 9:38 am   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
Oh Dear! What has Greg done... Me on the Wireless.... Time for a stiff drink.
It was some good local publicity for the event Mike, even though the reporter obviously loved the sound of his own voice!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2014, 10:01 am   #29
Focus Diode
Octode

An excellent event as usual, many thanks to everyone for making it so.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 12th May 2014, 5:44 pm   #30
harvestgold
Hexode

Thanks for a great event, from me too, especially to those on the Bring & Buy who worked so hard during the day and managed to shift nearly all the stuff I put on there!

Unfortunately, I ended up going home with nearly as much stuff as I went with, including 3 record players and an American RCA 78rpm add on player.

I'm looking forward to the next one already!
Old 12th May 2014, 6:35 pm   #31
vinrads
Dekatron

Great day even though I missed out on a trolley, and forgot to bring the chairs Oh my back was feeling it's age.
I met a lot of lovely people but the one that sticks in my mind is the person the insisted in giving me £5 for something in my 50p box what can I say .
I was pleased to have loads of complements regarding my stall set up thank you all.
And a special thanks to all the people involved in the organization of the event . Mick.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:20 am   #32
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Only my second time at the fair - the last time was quite a number of years ago - and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Walking across the car park I bumped into a guy that I vaguely recognised and realised it was an old friend from radio days about thirty years ago!

Likewise I met a lot of lovely people. I'm sure there were plenty from this forum but without their 'handles' I wouldn't know who they were which is a bit of a shame. Perhaps we should wear labels or badges?
Old 13th May 2014, 3:16 pm   #33
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Wearing badges has frequently been suggested, but it is down to the individual to decide whether or not to do so. Especially given my almost non-existent facial recognition skills, I would certainly find badges helpful.

I usually remember to wear a badge giving not only my name (which is also my forum "handle") but also my forum avatar.
Old 13th May 2014, 8:31 pm   #34
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I tried wearing a badge one year, but I don't think it made any difference! When you look at visitor behaviour, everyone is quite rightly looking at (or under) the tables rather than at other visitors. However I agree it's a good idea and I will definitely wear a badge next year. I usually arrange to meet specific people I want to see by PM beforehand.

Another idea might be to publicise a "Forum get-together" for ten minutes at, say, 12 noon, where those who wished to could gather near (say) the special display area or the B&B stall, or even outside the building. Now, I can foresee that this would need very careful management, as not only would a sudden rush of perhaps hundreds of people to gather at one point give the Fire Officer the willies, it may also upset the traders by taking away a proportion of their potential buyers...

Having said all that, the beauty of the NVCF is its lack of formality coupled with a tried and tested format. It ain't broke and probably doesn't need fixing.

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 13th May 2014 at 8:32 pm. Reason: Punctuation
Old 13th May 2014, 8:58 pm   #35
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Another idea might be to publicise a "Forum get-together" for ten minutes at, say, 12 noon, where those who wished to could gather near (say) the special display area or the B&B stall, or even outside the building.
We did that in 2006 (the first at Warwickshire I think) in the vintage TV display area. See the last photo here http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/photos...cf-television/ I like the idea of doing it again.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th May 2014, 10:13 pm   #36
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As can be seen from the above-mentioned photo, I don't think there is any need to worry about a rush of hundreds. Perhaps we could try another one next year - to celebrate the tenth year of the WEC.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:27 pm   #37
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Sounds like another successful event, and I missed it! unfortunately I injured my back the night before and could hardly move on Sunday. The last time I missed one it was at the NEC nearly 20 years ago.

John.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:48 pm   #38
murphymad
Heptode

I think it is an excellent idea to arrange a gathering of Forum members at a suitable time and location at the NVCF.

We can put our thinking caps on to find the best way of doing this. As suggested by Phil, the B&B or display areas are likely to be the best and give maximum space.

It would be nice for a photographer to document such things as well.

My problem is that I am so busy with everything else all day long, I barely get a chance to have lunch.
It would be a nice break for me to attend the gathering for 15 mins. and just chat to fellow forum members.

I also think a "standardised" Forum badge with both Forum name and real 'first name' would be extremely useful as it would be easy to spot.

Lets try and get something sorted for next year.

Another good place would be the Ice Cream van. I like ice Cream.....

Mike...
Old 13th May 2014, 11:50 pm   #39
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
I also think a "standardised" Forum badge with both Forum name and real 'first name' would be extremely useful as it would be easy to spot.
Something like this, perhaps?

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF name badge fixed.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	92918  

Old 14th May 2014, 11:00 am   #40
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: NVCF Warwickshire - Sunday May 11th 2014

This has taken me back to my first ham mobile rallies to which I badgered* my parents into taking me. A lot of them had 'sign in' boards and they gave you a little dimond shape badge - a la the RSGB diamond - with a space across the middle to write a call-sign. I got to meet face to face many 'on-air' voices that way. Occasionally I would spot a voice signed in who had come a long way - extra excitement!

It's a shame if people come from far and wide to one place for a common interest yet don't recognise who each other are.

*My parents did not need much badgering to go to the one at Upton-upon-Severn that some midlanders might remember from the 1970s as mother would go strawberry picking in the field opposite. Happy days.
Closed Thread