UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2012, 2:21 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default BVWS shop

Hi
I have just recently joined the BVWS and I have been looking around for the pages where you can purchase capacitors etc. I believe BVWS members get a discount.
Please can anyone help point me to the correct web site.
Thanks.
Mike
Old 29th Jan 2012, 2:54 pm   #2
Wellington
Hexode

Default Re: BVWS shop

Hi Mike

I don't think that there is website for purchasing BVWS components... yet. It's in the pipeline though, I believe (as described in Paul's thread here).

In the meantime, you can get BVWS components by mail order (there is an advert inside the back cover of "The Bulletin", I think). If you've just joined, I would hope that you have received a copy of one of these.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 3:04 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As Wellington says, it is not yet on the BVWS website, though it should be sometime this year. All details are in the Bulletin, and you can order by post or phone.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 29th Jan 2012, 5:34 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

Thanks guys,
Old 29th Jan 2012, 5:57 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

The prices look very good and I believe the quality is top rate.
The only thing that I do worry about though is I do the odd repair for third parties and wonder if I was to order spares and use them in these repairs which are chargeable if I am then breaking BVWS rules? Perhaps someone could clarify the situation.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 6:37 pm   #6
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I think you have to use a modicumof common sense. BVWS is still profiting from your puchase , anyway I would have thought it arguable that your time rate would swamp component costs for any charges you make. The end outcome is that another set lives on ...

Mike
Old 29th Jan 2012, 9:18 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not at all sure that I'd like my name on display to all and sundry when I'm walking about but how about a BVWS lapel badge? That would be nice.
Old 30th Jan 2012, 1:33 am   #8
murphymad
Heptode

To clarify the situation on "re-sale" of BVWS components etc...

As has been said, common sense comes into it here, and we (BVWS) would never expect to take any type of action against anyone buying items for use in repairs weather you charge someone for it or not. We are still providing an extra service to our members.

However, the point I wanted to make clear to all members was that wholesale purchase of components that we have spent (personally) a great deal of time getting and then sending out should not be abused by then selling them on to other collectors either by stalls at meetings or via internet sites/auction sites etc. for the purposes of, and with the intention of making a quick profit.

I watch the usual internet sites frequently for our stuff, and I will not hesitate to act if real abuse of our services to members occurs.

It was said that BVWS profits from the sales. This is true to a very small degree, some caps are actually more expensive than others, but we just average the prices out so that everything appears to be at a reasonable price.
For instance the last order of 0.047uF 630v caps were sold at the same price as we bought them for, where others are a few pence more and some are 10p more.

The special 16+32 and 60+250 Electrolytics we hade made for Bush DAC90A's and TV22's were very expensive to get and are sold practically at cost.
The usual 8+8, 16+16, 32+32, 50+50 we make a small amount on.

Members prices are less than to non-members.

The purpose was to make these hard to find items available, not to make a vast profit.
Any profit that we do make allows us to purchase extra values for sale, or to go towards the cost of other things like the Calendar and DVD.

So for those who are "Keeping it going" either for your self or someone else, why should'nt you expect to be paid. And a fine job you are doing too!

Mike...

PS: I don't think we will ever go for the name badges. No one would remeber to bring them anyway...
Old 30th Jan 2012, 2:18 am   #9
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I believe Dave (Boom) was not referring to a specific name badge as such, rather a standard lapel badge/pin along the lines of the enamelled diamond shaped badges available from the RSGB for example, but obviously sporting the BVWS logo instead.

I think its a good idea and would be well received by BVWS members.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 30th Jan 2012 at 2:24 am.
Old 30th Jan 2012, 11:08 am   #10
murphymad
Heptode

Hello Robert,

We used to have these as small metal enamelled badges with the BVWS logo.

They were made way back in the 1980's and the stock has long been exhausted.
They were never good sellers even at £2.50 each.

It is something we could think of for the future perhaps.

Best regards,

Mike...
Old 30th Jan 2012, 11:11 am   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think I still have mine, somewhere.

David GM8JET
Old 30th Jan 2012, 1:14 pm   #12
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Thanks for that Mike.

I note your comments but I'm sure other members as well as myself would appreciate you looking into having another batch of the badges made, obviously when the shop side of the website is up and running.

I imagine the number of BVWS members has greatly increased since the 1980s and the take up of badges would likewise be better as a consequence now.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 30th Jan 2012, 1:19 pm   #13
bobbyball
Octode

I would just like to say that I was very happy with the capacitors I bought at the BVWS meet in Warrington, the quality is excellent. I fully intend to restock from "the same source" when I am "out of" again, which after my latest restoration, will be soon!!

Robert Ball
Old 1st Feb 2012, 9:42 am   #14
crackle
Rest in Peace

I have been having difficulty sourcing “vintage looking” modern mains cable, like 3 amp 2 core oval brown outer or 3 amp 3 core cloth covered.
Would anyone else find this a useful item for the shop to stock?
Mike
Old 4th Feb 2012, 10:56 am   #15
crackle
Rest in Peace

I have come across this source for brown 2 core
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/2-cor...00-metres.html

Brown 3 core would look good on some of the sets I am restoring where there is an
mains isolation transformer and I am fitting an earth to the chassis for safety.

How about Brown and or Black 13 amp plugs fitted with 3 amp fuses? I have a pile of 13 amp fuses but keep running out of 3 amp.

I can't wait till the "shop" gets off the ground it will save a lot of searching.

Thanks
Mike
Old 4th Feb 2012, 2:15 pm   #16
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

3A plug fuses are not difficult to obtain, nor are black 13A plugs, so the BVWS stocking these would be rather pointless. Brown plugs are another matter and I think, bakelite ones anyway, can now only be picked up secondhand. Sourcing these would probably be more hassle than it's worth for the BVWS.

2A and 1A plug fuses are another matter and stocking these might prove worthwhile, being not so easy to obtain these days unless sourced online and, even then, bulk buys are often required.

The use of 1A or 2A plug fuses permits the fitting of new 3A flex to vintage radios (etc) and such flex is often aesthetically more acceptable than the larger 6A flex.
Old 4th Feb 2012, 3:21 pm   #17
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I can't wait till the "shop" gets of the ground it will save a lot of searching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
Sourcing these would probably be more hassle than it's worth for the BVWS.
I may be wrong, but I doubt the BVWS shop will stock a great deal more items than those already available at meetings and via mail order from the advert in the Bulletin. As Darren points out, the time and effort required to source other components would simply not be worth it.

I believe the main idea of introducing online payments was to provide a more convenient method to members when renewing subscriptions and the like, not to open a 'one-stop store' as it were. The supply of capacitors, etc is always going to be of a secondary priority.

I'm sure Mike (murphymad) will clarify the situation for us in due course.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 4th Feb 2012 at 3:28 pm.
Old 4th Feb 2012, 3:28 pm   #18
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Robert sums the situation up very well.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread