UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 5:44 pm   #1
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Spirit of the forum, OT?

As this is not strictly technical it may be considered OT but I feel it must be said, here or in the most appropriate forum. It concerns the spirit of the Group which is exemplified in the immediate response (often in a torrent) to requests for assistance especially from the technically challenged ones, present company notably included. Since joining I've seen, not just advice but offers of hardware free where obsolete or otherwise unobtainable. I've discovered that this generosity of spirit is not confined to the R to R followers as I've had occasion to join a sister community, Vintage Test instruments with an oscilloscope usage query. Along with the immediate slew of advice there is now on its way to me a working instrument FOC, as Chris states he has two.
It occurs to me that if this ethic could be bottled and distributed to those men who control the levers of life and death on us there would be no atomic weapons, no Iraqs, Palestines or Syria and no shameful African poverty
Tony
Old 23rd May 2020, 5:55 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Spirit of the forum, OT?

Most people in the world are pretty decent, and this is mostly a friendly, helpful and often generous place. The mods try to prevent any unpleasantness developing, but we rarely have to take action. The forum has a reputation for tight moderation, but in fact it mostly runs itself.
Old 23rd May 2020, 7:11 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Occasionally we come across people looking for some particularly expensive part or piece of equipment thinking they can get one here at substantially less than the going rate. Shall we just say that their success rate is well below par.

There have been a couple of cases where things at friendly prices turned up rather quickly offered for sale in the usual places. The speed was matched by the speed at which these people got banned from the site.

There is a lot of honest generosity hereabouts, and that inevitably attracts a small number of people who would abuse it. They get noticed and they don't last long. But it should be borne in mind that the vast vast majority are decent people, the occasional baddie just makes a disproportionate amount of upset.

David
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:08 pm   #4

Quote:
There is a lot of honest generosity hereabouts, and that inevitably attracts a small number of people who would abuse it.
I would rather be generous to the majority and have the odd "scammer" "nicking" stuff rather than the other way round.

I think the spirit of this forum is no way OT, it is the foundation of a wonderful thing, sorry, being reading too much Agatha Christie recently.

Our moderators do a fantastic job, thanks mods..

Old 23rd May 2020, 8:15 pm   #5
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The occasional baddie just makes a disproportionate amount of upset.

David
Yeah, like myself.
Joke aside, I can't be myself on this forum, otherwise I'll be banned pretty damn quick (think point-blank straight talking).
I try not to upset people if I can help it.
Just a quick one for the Mods, I couldn't help noticing how new people sign up to the forum and are found to be banned even before posting anything, what causes this?
Curiousity has the better, I can see the front of the forum, as can other users, but not behind the scenes, how do the Mods know if a new user is dodgy from the word go?
P.S. I ain't having a go at anyone with the above question, it's more about what happens backstage.
Stay safe, Rick.
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:48 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Credit to the moderators who set a fine but strict example. This I think sets the tone for all to follow. I think we all can at times overstep the mark but on recollection can usually see where we may have gone wrong. The forum can only be as good as the content that is acceptable. When writing posts I think we all strive for writing correctly. It is a pleasure not to be confronted by keypad slang as in a lot of texts and even other media. etc.
Eg. Ru ok m8
This forum is a pleasure to use. Thank you one and all.
Rob
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:56 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
....... I couldn't help noticing how new people sign up to the forum and are found to be banned even before posting anything, what causes this?
See Forum Rule A8.

Alan
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:59 pm   #8
Station X

Quote:
Just a quick one for the Mods, I couldn't help noticing how new people sign up to the forum and are found to be banned even before posting anything, what causes this?
Let's just say that there was some irregularity in the information submitted when they registered to join the forums. They're told why they've been banned and invited to submit the correct information.

Spambots don't respond and remain banned. Legitimate members generally respond, the information is corrected and they're unbanned.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:00 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Eg. Ru ok m8
It has been tried in the past and nipped in the bud. I find threads like that unreadable and lazy.
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:02 pm   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
....... I couldn't help noticing how new people sign up to the forum and are found to be banned even before posting anything, what causes this?
See Forum Rule A8.

Alan
This has nothing to do with forum rule A8, which states that a new member's first few posts have to be approved by a moderator.

That's why you've never seen any spam in the forums!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:47 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

Point taken.

Alan
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:52 pm   #12
Reelman
Octode

This is a great forum populated by knowledgeable and very generous people. The big difference here compared to other forums in that there is no condescension, all views are treated with respect and where wrong are gently put right. Because there is such good and consistent moderation I believe it causes us to consider what we are going to say before we type. Drifting off topic is so easy to do and probably the hardest human trait to avoid here.

I have visited everyday for many years and always find something interesting to read.
Despite not being a electronics professional I have contributed my 2 cents worth to a few posts but have never been put down by those who know better. Perhaps more due to the politeness of members who just bite their lip though!

This can be a lonely hobby, I find very few people in real life to talk to about it (especially the family) so the forum is a boon.

Thanks everyone,

Peter
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:38 pm   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post

This can be a lonely hobby, I find very few people in real life to talk to about it (especially the family) so the forum is a boon.

Peter
....and the older you get, the fewer there are! I was in the trade for 40 years and over the years, the older ones before me have gone to the great Workshop in the Sky....There are probably only four reasonably local friends that I can have a good technical natter with.
Old 24th May 2020, 9:34 am   #14
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Let's just say that there was some irregularity in the information submitted when they registered to join the forums. They're told why they've been banned and invited to submit the correct information.

Spambots don't respond and remain banned. Legitimate members generally respond, the information is corrected and they're unbanned.
Thanks for explaining, now it makes sense.
Life's for learning I suppose.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:06 am   #15
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
This is a great forum populated by knowledgeable and very generous people. The big difference here compared to other forums in that there is no condescension, all views are treated with respect and where wrong are gently put right. Because there is such good and consistent moderation I believe it causes us to consider what we are going to say before we type. Drifting off topic is so easy to do and probably the hardest human trait to avoid here.

I have visited everyday for many years and always find something interesting to read.
Despite not being a electronics professional I have contributed my 2 cents worth to a few posts but have never been put down by those who know better. Perhaps more due to the politeness of members who just bite their lip though!

Thanks everyone,

Peter
Spot on post, when I first joined I soon realised it was quite strictly run compared to other forums I enjoy, but I soon got use to that and find it a most enjoyable place to spend time.
It is solitary hobby, but this forum makes it far less so when you can share your interest with like minded people.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:30 am   #16
Nymrod121
Nonode

I consider the VRF as a virtual "Best Esoteric Marigold Hotel"
At this rate, we'll be having a 'Clap for Moderators' session once a month!
Guy
Old 24th May 2020, 12:34 pm   #17
electronicskip
Nonode

I'm very much alone in my hobby within my immediate family who frankly think I am nuts for what I'm interested in.
Until they want something fixed!!
So this forum is my virtual club for want of a better word for it.
I love this place and it's been great to meet a few of you at various shows etc.
Old 24th May 2020, 3:27 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

It isn't just the immediate family who think I'm nuts.
But those of the forum I've met and had a chat with have been just the right sort of nutty.

The dangerous people in this world are those who think they're sane, and as for the ones who know-with-absolute-certainty that they're sane, well, they have bad history of death and destruction, but they usually come to a sticky end.

David
Old 24th May 2020, 3:45 pm   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

Local saying:
"All the World's queer save me and thee. Even thee's a bit queer sometimes"
Old 24th May 2020, 5:38 pm   #20
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It isn't just the immediate family who think I'm nuts.
But those of the forum I've met and had a chat with have been just the right sort of nutty.

The dangerous people in this world are those who think they're sane, and as for the ones who know-with-absolute-certainty that they're sane, well, they have bad history of death and destruction, but they usually come to a sticky end.

David
Well said, I am far from sane, pretty much born that way.
Sane people are boring, they're happy doing an office job, that's not for me.
As for Bill's comment, I'm queer in more than one way, I'll leave that one to your imagination.