UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:47 am   #1
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Exclamation Radio Caroline

Rather than put this in the Radio Caroline thread elsewhere on this site:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...wland-1967.pdf

1967 paperback about Radio Caroline
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:26 am   #2
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radio Caroline

Terry, this posting should come with a warning: This book has a foundational history that is not only untrue, but it was created for commercial and political propaganda purposes. It has been cited by others who have not performed their own research. This book was surpassed for inaccuracy by Paul Harris' When Pirates Ruled the Waves and his translation of The Radio Nord Story. Others have followed in the wake of Harris, and to date there is not a single book out there with the real story about how and why Radio Caroline was created.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:17 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've just been reading (or re-reading) part of that book, but found it a bit heavy going. My understanding was the Ronan O'Rahilly founded Radio Caroline because in the early 60's he managed Georgie Fame, and couldn't get Fame's recording(s) played on either The Light Program or Luxembourg, in the latter case because the majority of shows on 208 were sponsored by the big 4 record companies. From memory, the gist of the story about R.Caroline & R. Atlanta as told in the book is, AFAIK, basically true, though after nearly 54 years I don't pretend to recall all the details, and no longer have any original books or press cuttings to consult.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:51 pm   #4
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
I've just been reading (or re-reading) part of that book, but found it a bit heavy going. My understanding was the Ronan O'Rahilly founded Radio Caroline because in the early 60's he managed Georgie Fame, and couldn't get Fame's recording(s) played on either The Light Program or Luxembourg, in the latter case because the majority of shows on 208 were sponsored by the big 4 record companies. From memory, the gist of the story about R.Caroline & R. Atlanta as told in the book is, AFAIK, basically true, though after nearly 54 years I don't pretend to recall all the details, and no longer have any original books or press cuttings to consult.
You have just cited the main mythology. Ronan O'Rahilly was a paid 'decoy duck' for PYE who put Radio Caroline together in conjunction with CIA interests in the USA. Ronan O'Rahilly did not manage Georgie Fame. I have an initial video you might be interested in watching at http://yesterdayneverhappened.com

A book, the first in a series about offshore radio is under preparation with the title Bobby, Caroline and Jack. The 'Caroline Kennedy name myth' was not created until March 1965 in order to fool Robert F. Kennedy into making a speech about Irish independence on St Patrick's Day. I have a recording and details will be in the book.

The name was in use as early as 1961 to describe readers of Queen magazine, and that is where the name originally came from because Radio Caroline was initially represented by the magazine's publisher Jocelyn Stevens. Ironically this was reported at the time Radio Caroline began in 1964 within the Economist.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 6:15 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

This is an unusual thread!

The link provided by member MervynHagger leads to an 18 minute video, which pretty much starts with graphic pictures from the Zapruder film showing the assassination of J.F.Kennedy.

A man called ‘Mervyn Hagger’ does a voice-over for the video, referring to “dark clouds over Dallas in 1963” and, in the same sentence, about the establishment of Radio Caroline in 1964. He suggests that the “connecting dots go via the ship the Mi Amigo”.

He then goes on to suggest that the ship had previously been involved transmitting for Radio Free Europe (a CIA ‘front’) to the Baltic States. Its exact ownership is a mystery, but Robert F. Kennedy’s name gets a late mention just to make the video end on a high-point (this is Part 1 of a two-part video). Is someone having a laugh?

B
Old 15th Feb 2018, 7:24 pm   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

At the risk of being a bit blunt, I have to say I find these claims ludicrous. I long ago started to question any claim that involves 'secret action by the CIA', the Secret Service or 'unknown agents', who usually steal and destroy documents or bump people off.
Especially when there are books to be sold or You Tube videos to be watched. File under 'amusing conspiracy theory' and put with the rest.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:30 pm   #7
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
This is an unusual thread!

The link provided by member MervynHagger leads to an 18 minute video, which pretty much starts with graphic pictures from the Zapruder film showing the assassination of J.F.Kennedy.

A man called ‘Mervyn Hagger’ does a voice-over for the video, referring to “dark clouds over Dallas in 1963” and, in the same sentence, about the establishment of Radio Caroline in 1964. He suggests that the “connecting dots go via the ship the Mi Amigo”.

He then goes on to suggest that the ship had previously been involved transmitting for Radio Free Europe (a CIA ‘front’) to the Baltic States. Its exact ownership is a mystery, but Robert F. Kennedy’s name gets a late mention just to make the video end on a high-point (this is Part 1 of a two-part video). Is someone having a laugh?

B
Bazz, I made the video for people too bored to read academic articles ( founthreads.com ), and I have been writing about this subject since 1966 for newspapers. I suggest you watch the video again because NOWHERE does it link the Mia Amigo to Radio Free Europe. In fact Allan Crawford does most of the voice over to destroy the O'Rahilly myths. As for Robert F. Kennedy, he is the person who caused the Mi Amigo to be taken to Galveston, Texas. I suggest you watch the video again and then ask questions and I will be only too happy to cite chapter and verse where you can find documentation for yourself.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:34 pm   #8
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
At the risk of being a bit blunt, I have to say I find these claims ludicrous. I long ago started to question any claim that involves 'secret action by the CIA', the Secret Service or 'unknown agents', who usually steal and destroy documents or bump people off.
Especially when there are books to be sold or You Tube videos to be watched. File under 'amusing conspiracy theory' and put with the rest.
Andrew, if you are referring to Bazz, I agree. He failed to pay attention. No one is selling you a book. No one is asking you for money. What's your problem? Don't associate the rubbish you have posted with anything I have stated. If you will watch the video and then ask questions, I will answer them. In the meantime go and read the post that began this thread. I did not write it and it is about a totally discredited book about 'Radio Caroline'. If you have questions I will answer them.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:36 pm   #9
Station X

Let's keep this civilised please gentlemen.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:48 pm   #10
Andrew2
Nonode

I'm sorry Mervyn, but it seems you do the voice-over on the video and you also state in your post that ' Ronan O'Rahilly was a paid 'decoy duck' for PYE who put Radio Caroline together in conjunction with CIA interests in the USA.'
You also seem to have some connection with a forthcoming book.
That's enough for me to complete my Bingo card.
I'll leave this thread now as I have no interest in getting into a public argument over some weird conspiracy theory.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:39 pm   #11
paulsherwin

No more discussion of conspiracy theories please. People who subscribe to such things won't be dissuaded by criticism here. In any case, there are much more appropriate forums in which to discuss such things. This is a forum for people who like to fix old electronic stuff, not people who like to speculate about conspiracies.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:07 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

So....What's the radio? at 22.00 in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6i9ddAOhyQ

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 15th Feb 2018 at 10:22 pm.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:02 pm   #13
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I'm sorry Mervyn, but it seems you do the voice-over on the video and you also state in your post that ' Ronan O'Rahilly was a paid 'decoy duck' for PYE who put Radio Caroline together in conjunction with CIA interests in the USA.'
You also seem to have some connection with a forthcoming book.
That's enough for me to complete my Bingo card.
I'll leave this thread now as I have no interest in getting into a public argument over some weird conspiracy theory.
Yes, I introduce myself in voice and picture. But the 'decoy duck' attack on O'Rahilly came from a MP - not me. As for who he was a 'decoy duck' for, I suggest you begin with the IEE book 'Radio Man', the story of the man and his son who built the PYE empire. Then, do as I did not believing what you are reading and call Nicholas Stanley, grandson who commissioned that book. Then go to the Science Museum annex at Bradford and their storage unit and read the original statement that the claims in the book are based upon. Now you can't got to Houston (but I did, I lived in Texas for almost 40 years investigating the US side of the offshore radio story while the participants were still alive.) Read some of my previous academic work on this at foundthreads.com Now if you want to ask me a specific question about a specific issue, I will be more than happy to give you a researched, documented and polite answer. If I don't know the answer, I will say so. What I can tell you with authority is that the Venmore Rowland book is absolute rubbish because of the story that it tells, and that is how this thread began.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:04 pm   #14
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
No more discussion of conspiracy theories please. People who subscribe to such things won't be dissuaded by criticism here. In any case, there are much more appropriate forums in which to discuss such things. This is a forum for people who like to fix old electronic stuff, not people who like to speculate about conspiracies.
I came here originally looking for a radio set that was manufactured to promote Radio Caroline in 1964. The review of the 'Radio Caroline' book was begun by someone else. I don't deal in conspiracy theories. I am an academic writer and freelance journalist dealing in documented and well researched facts.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:07 pm   #15
paulsherwin

Enough. This thread is closed.
Closed Thread