UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2020, 1:33 pm   #1
Grotsoft
Triode

Default Solid State UY41

While waiting to receive a replacement "proper" UY41 rectifier I thought I'd see if I could repurpose the original valve for solid state use.

The "valve" has a couple of LEDs just because I liked the idea of seeing that it was powered up. They turned out to be the trickiest parts to fit! I could have just used one LED and an ordinary 1N4001 for reverse protection, but where's the fun in that?

Trying to solder to the valve's pins was an exercise in futility, even with a 60W iron. Looking through my parts bins I realised that the individual pin crimp sockets used in PCB connectors would fit over the pins. I crimped and soldered them and that made this possible.

This was my first time cutting into a tube, it didn't go too badly. Next time I'd try to be a bit more careful cutting and finishing the tube and I'd epoxy around the connections inside and let that harden before closing up the tube.

I've attached a picture of the schematic and the valve under assembly and working in my Murphy UL98 radio, along with a picture of the crimps I used, on the outside of the valve for clarity.

When I've fully written this up on my blog I'll put a link here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uy41 schematic.png
Views:	174
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	213616   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-UY41-In-Progress.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	213617   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-UY41-In-Murphy.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	213618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve-Base-Crimp_Sockets.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	213624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opened-UY41.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	213625  

Old 16th Aug 2020, 3:03 pm   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: Solid State UY41

That's very impressive! I must give it a try sometime. I bet I break the glass a few times though...........
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:05 pm   #3

I like it, especially the red leds, much better than the new craze of lighting up with blue ones, that would look like it has a vacuum leak (oops, so it has).

Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:42 pm   #4
Grotsoft
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I like it, especially the red leds, much better than the new craze of lighting up with blue ones, that would look like it has a vacuum leak (oops, so it has).

Oh I really hate the fad for blue LEDs!
Old 17th Aug 2020, 6:57 pm   #5
Grotsoft
Triode

Link to the blog post https://grotsoft.com/entry/home-made...ier-valve-tube
Closed Thread