UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2020, 9:29 pm   #1
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default A question about buying, selling and swapping.

A few months ago a member on the facebook page sold me a valve tester at a very under market price. The thing is its an AVO two panel tester, which is a biased towards older valves and b, goes into a bit to much detail for me to ever really fully use it. I would feel wrong selling this at a mrkup to what i paid, but would much prefer to exchange it for a more modern tester, with another group member, with perhaps less bells and whistles as Im not matching valves etc. I just want to check overall quality of a valve in more modern sets (post 1950s).

This way i feel im not making money but hopefully enabling another member as well as me to advance their hobby.

Am I correct that we cannot do this in any way on the forum?
Old 20th Sep 2020, 10:40 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: A question about buyinng selling, swapping

As i understand it....you can communicate with other members regarding this type of arrangement via the 'private message' system, and then if you wish exchange details.

The story is that 'swapsies' have caused a few ructions over the years hence the ban on this type of transaction on the forum buy/sell facility, however if having made initial contact you are ultimately communicating direct with t'other party then you are in no position to hold the forum responsible for any grievance arising. This makes the forum happy. If anyone wants to contradict/comment/delete my ramblings, feel free.

..and can i just say that your request is very laudable and bona, and will surely get a few replies.

Dave
Old 20th Sep 2020, 10:54 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

The rules on buying and selling are clearly laid out in section D. You can offer this for sale at a fixed price only, but if it doesn't sell you have the option to quote a new price in a later post. Logically this would be lower!
What transpires via PM is your business of course, as long as you inform us when sold.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 11:55 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

In the early days we allowed swaps. The reasons we stopped allowing them are:

1. They never work out. The chances of another member having available what you want and wanting what you have are very slim.

2. They were used or became as a way of circumventing the exact price rule, with people being "flexible" about the item they wanted in return or open to offers on that, which inevitably meant they were asking for or received financial offers.

To clarify point 2, the reason for the exact price rule is to avoid threads becoming auctions, or someone's offer being accepted and later declined due to getting a better offer (which causes a lot of bad feeling).

As I'm sure you can see from this, rules evolved for good reasons to keep things running smoothly, and give the best chance of success in any trades.

There will always be exceptions where the rules don't work for you but we have to go with what works best in the majority of cases. If members come to different arrangements by PM then that's up to them, as long as they don't annoy or upset other members as a result.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread