UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2020, 10:06 am   #41
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) - Worth Owning?

Together with half a dozen colleagues, I attended an IEE weekend conference on emerging technologies. I think it was held in a large countryside venue of some sort, similar to the BBC’s Evesham place. There were 4 sessions over the weekend. I can’t remember what the other three were but one was on DCC and was presented in some detail by one of Philip’s senior R&D staff. This would have been the very very late 80’s or very early 90’s - no later for sure. We engineers, involved in broadcasting, knew it was dead in the water even then which is why I remember the session so well. We felt so sorry for him.
Old 16th Dec 2020, 4:04 pm   #42
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) - Worth Owning?

It is a pity Philips didn't put their efforts into the recordable CD instead of DCC as a consumer format, it could have been an incremental improvement over CD and negate the need for another tape format with the limitations of sequential access. I suppose it was the timings and fear from the music publishers if only the music industry had known by holding back other recording formats meant they would be virtually wiped out by MP3s and the hand the market to the streaming services.
Closed Thread