UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 24th Feb 2024, 9:09 pm   #21
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Goodmans One Ten LH Ch down

The 120 is the same receiver, but outwardly cosmetically different for the 'European' market I was told.
Old 25th Feb 2024, 4:09 pm   #22
Featherfoot
Triode

Many thanks for all the info.
Ah, the endless debate about does one (type) of cable behave differently to another. I don't have the technical knowledge I'm afraid, but I have been working professionally with audio for years and can testify absolutely that different cables sound different. If you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, I can tell the differnce and that is a blessing as well as a curse. Remember my quote regarding Audiophiles and Audiophools. Does a £40,000 turntable sound £37,000 better than my £3000 t/t. Nowhere does the law of diminishing returns apply more than the Hi-Fi world.

Getting back to the original subject, and just to recap.
I had distortion in the LH channel. I was advised to clean the switches and I may have done this a little too vigorously as they now feel wrong. They double click and sit very unevenly, but as far as I can tell they do still work. The problem now is that I have lost the LH channel completely. That's in speakers and phones.

My experience with a DMM is very limited in that I can only test components out of circuit and can only test continuity in circuit. I have carried this out on the switches and all other connections related to the LH channel and everything seems fine. But that is the limit of my ability. As I said before, if anyone has the patience to guide me through some testing then I am a very willing learner.

Thank you for reading and all the best.
Featherfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2024, 5:28 pm   #23
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherfoot View Post
I was advised to clean the switches and I may have done this a little too vigorously as they now feel wrong. They double click and sit very unevenly, but as far as I can tell they do still work
It maybe that you have bent the latching bar (difficultt to do) or the latching bar is now stuck with grease. The switch buttons should line up reasonably well. Look at the switches carefully and to see what the problem is. You should see the latching bar move slightly aside and then drop back in position to latch the switch as you push the button in. All other buttons should pop out - unless they are single push on-push off. If the latching bar is bent it will be difficult to straighten. If the switches do not latch in the correct position then the switch contacts cannot line up and work as you suggest above.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2024, 7:22 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...or you've washed away all the grease that they were assembled with, which ensured smooth operation.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2024, 1:06 pm   #25
Featherfoot
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Quote:
Hi Edward and thanks for your message.
The very first thing I did was remove those din sockets. They can't accept any cable other than you would use to wire your doorbell.
You may be missing my point, The internal DIN socket wiring will be very thin. By using a DIN plug with a very short length of "thin" cable, say 2" to 3", that in turn connected, via a screw type cable connector, to your 79 strand or whatever, there would have been no measurable loss.
Sorry Edward, I meant to address this in last post.
It's the materials used for the cables that determines the quality, not the thickness. Oxygen free copper of different types is pretty standard, silver plated copper wire, pure silver etc. Needless to say, the pure silver are only for people that can afford to spend many thousands of pounds. And no point using them with a $150 amp and $150 speakers.
Old 27th Feb 2024, 1:12 pm   #26
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think your definition of "quality" may be different from most of ours
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2024, 1:30 pm   #27
Radio Wrangler

And there I was, developing equipment for looking at noise contributions down to a few Kelvin above absolute zero, essentially the quantum-mechanical noise floor of the universe, and at microwave frequencies as well, thinking copper was OK.

And later, developing fast-pulsed microwave transmitters of several hundred watts power that people's lives were going to depend on, and though I had to leave FR4 glassfibre behind, plain old copper was still doing the job.

Silver wiring can give a little less loss, which might or might not be noticeable, but the big advantage of silver is in stopping werewolves stealing your high-end hi-fi.

David
Old 17th Apr 2024, 5:27 pm   #28
Featherfoot
Triode

just thought I would give an upate on getting my original One Ten working again. So the smart money was on the switches, but guess what: it wasn't the switches.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 6:23 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

Switches often feature in tracking down these sorts of faults, so on average they are a good place to start, but they aren't guaranteed to always be the cause.

You've re-capped the thing. In order to do that, you have to have a lot of confidence in the quality of your workmanship - freedom from dry joints, freedom from solder splashes, getting polarised components the right way round and also in choosing suitable parts and taking care to get the real thing and not fakes.

That said, we all make mistakes from time to time, but with changing components en-masse, simple statistics say that your success rate per component has to be very good in order to get much chance of the whole thing being a success. This is one of the main reasons that the usual advice on the forum, from highly experienced repairers, is to not jump in with all at once. Some of the ESR meters work well with components in-situ and can identify ones needing to be replaced and ones that are OK.

There are plenty other things which can pull a channel down.

Statistically, the smart money has a good success rate, but not all bets are guaranteed wins. It pulls steadily ahead in the long run.

Someone once took a diode to the quality control department at HP and asked them to measure its MTBF (Mean time between failures). They may still be laughing.

David
Old 20th Apr 2024, 12:29 pm   #30
qualityten
Octode

Quote:
just thought I would give an upate on getting my original One Ten working again. So the smart money was on the switches, but guess what: it wasn't the switches.
What was the fault?
qualityten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2024, 7:52 pm   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualityten View Post
Quote:
What was the fault?
Maybe he's just proved that cleaning the switches hasn't cured the problem, that doesn't mean to say that he has found the fault somewhere else. Just applying logic there.
Old 20th Apr 2024, 9:39 pm   #32
qualityten
Octode

Got it....
qualityten is offline   Reply With Quote