UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 3rd Apr 2024, 3:18 am   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Recommendations for solder rework station

I was lucky in that I had a young guy working for me quite some years ago and he used to bring his (same) desolder gun and stand in (he liked to use his own tools).

He kindly me made me a stand too

Nice and heavy, weighs 1.2Kg so it ain't tipping over any time soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1277.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	295771   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1278.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	295772  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 8:59 pm   #22
Gradall
Diode

I have the same RS branded one on my bench, you can find cheaper ones on Amazon which appear to be exactly the same, just different colours on the base and gun.

My RS one is very good but find I have to have the temperature pretty high else the gun gets clogged easily, then have to put it to full temperature and use the long cleaning rods to clear the blockage.

When badly clogged, I have to remove the glass tube and use another soldering iron to heat up the end of the suction tube next to the glass tube then use the rods.

You know when it is clogged up when the tone of the suction pump increases!
Gradall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 1:26 pm   #23
factory
Octode

The trouble with cheaper mains powered equipment, from shops on various online trading websites, is that they might not meet UK/EU etc electrical safety standards, expect missing earth connections, fuses not in circuit, copper clad aluminium or steel cables, etc.
Also they may be very expensive to return, if they are not UK based shops.

OK if you are competent & prepared to rewire the equipment and test it thoroughly, then this might be an option.

David
factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 12:20 am   #24
Julesomega
Nonode

Just seen another interesting solder sucker in a video from The Radio Shop (11 minutes in). This one has no continuous cooling, and it seems to give a 'ping' when the temperature of the workpiece is hot enough to be sucked. Anyone recognise it?

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 4:10 am   #25
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

S-993A desolder gun
Old Today, 2:41 pm   #26
Julesomega
Nonode

Thanks Terry; a quick google shows this is branded Huanyu. The first YT video I looked at shows a green unit which, apart from the colour and brand, looks exactly like the one bought! I wonder if they've added a 'ping' notification, or maybe there was some unrelated pinging going on in The Radio Shop during filming.

I was using it yesterday and it seemed to be losing suck. I ran some tinned copper wire up the nozzle to no effect so I opened up the collection cylinder and found a wad of almost solid solder about 2mm thick across the gauze-filter end. They need cleaning pretty regularly, certainly every day of frequent use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Huanyu desolder gun.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	298111   Click image for larger version

Name:	137-2292 in use.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	298112  

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote