UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2020, 7:15 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default TEAC 1230 Translation Query

There is a very slight wobble on my take up reel which does not affect play but the operating manual would suggest otherwise; the attached refers. Am I right in saying the wording should read "if reel is wobbling"?
Everything else is fine and set up nicely but I worry that the motor shaft may have had a knock in the past.
Anyone have any comments?
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	212931  
Old 7th Aug 2020, 8:11 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: TEAC 1230 Translation Query

If the reel is wobbling don't adjust the reel height until the wobbly reel has been sorted out.

Lawrence.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 11:55 am   #3
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: TEAC 1230 Translation Query

Thanks Lawrence,
My use of "wobble" is perhaps misleading as it does not relate to the reason that a wobble exists. The problem emanates from a slight eccentricity or radius of gyration that exists on a brass gizmo that is fitted to the drive motor shaft.

The gizmo is circa 2" inches long and has a circa 3/4" diameter collar that drives the counter. It then has a circa 1/4" shaft that has been turned with a threaded hole in the end. The take up reel shaft tension spring fits over this shaft and the threaded hole provides the ability to adjust the tension.
It is this 1/4" part of the gizmo that is slightly eccentric.
Any chance anyone may know where a spare could be obtained or indeed where a new item could be made. In this if I had a lathe I would have a go at making one. Similarly, someone with good eyes might be able use a hammer to tap it back in position following its removal from the shaft.
Joe
Closed Thread