UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2018, 7:35 pm   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Improved regulation.

Whilst constructing wall warts for my transistor radio collection, I make PP7, PP9 and PP10 falsies using surplus non regulated 9v and 12v power packs, I use mainly LM317T adjustable regulators. With these I can make power packs from 6v to 18v with ease.
I have found them to be good, minimal hash on the radios, robust and cheap.
But I have been making these for years. Stocks are running low. At 99p for 10 from China they are outstanding value.
The thought occurred that things have moved on and I should maybe update to something better next time I restock.
Is there a better regulator at a fair price?
No surface mount tech though!
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 8:09 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Improved regulation.

At 99p for 10 I would get 100, should last you a while and you have proven design that works. I would only look for something new when you are near then end of the 100.
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 9:19 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

You've been lucky!
I bought a few from China a while ago; they regulated OK, but went O/C as soon as they were asked to pass a few mA.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 6:38 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Looked on Farnell - http://uk.farnell.com/w/search/prl/r...earchlookahead and they have 64,000, but look underneath and it looks like you could be right Sam. However it says this - Market demand for this product has caused an extension in lead times, delivery dates may fluctuate.

I use the LM317AHV which is a bit higher voltage. If it ain't broke.....

Andy.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 8:14 am   #5
Mooly
Octode

The abilities of the regulator as seen at its destination are severely diminished simply due to the effects of the cable from wall wart to equipment. In other words the advantage of increasing the regulator performance, even many times over, is totally swamped by the remote location of the regulator.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 8:57 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

A case for 98% silver gold plated one way HiFi audiophool cable then?
It was not the precision of regulation I was concerned with, rather the purity of the DC without hash.
I used to use 78xx series regulators with base resistors to trim the output voltage but found that the output had a lot of switching pulses that cause background noise sometimes.
Sam.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 9:42 am   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

The 78/79xx series have a noisy internal reference followed by what is effectively a wideband, low impedance power amp making output noise very difficult to eliminate- some RF applications end up using pi-filtering on the output. Perhaps in the case of the 7805, they were expected to have extensive rail filtering for spiky logic applications anyway, so device noise wasn't a high concern. The LM317 family use a much quieter bandgap reference. It may be an oldie, but I like the 723, as the reference is available at a pin and can be filtered as much as you like before applying to the rest of the circuit- it does need external pass transistors for any appreciable output current and several other peripheral components though, so not quite an easy modular block like three-terminal regulators.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 10:28 am   #8
paulsherwin

You probably know this already, but a typical transistor radio doesn't actually need a regulated supply unless you want to squeeze every last mW of output from it. You just need to ensure that the off load voltage isn't excessive (say 10V for a PP9 set) and that the voltage doesn't sag too much at reasonable volume levels. A regulated supply is preferable, but it does add cost, complexity and a little noise.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 12:44 pm   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

I've had noise issues with the LM317 - I was using it to regulate the 2V filament supply to a 3-valve radio, but could hardly hear stations through the hash! It took me a while to pinpoint the source of the interference.

So now, I bypass regulators as near as possible to the IC. And for sensitive applications, I use a downstream LC filter. Yes, it hurts regulation a bit, but so far that has not been a problem.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 12:45 pm   #10
Boater Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You probably know this already, but a typical transistor radio doesn't actually need a regulated supply unless you want to squeeze every last mW of output from it. You just need to ensure that the off load voltage isn't excessive (say 10V for a PP9 set) and that the voltage doesn't sag too much at reasonable volume levels. A regulated supply is preferable, but it does add cost, complexity and a little noise.
Understood Paul but I have found that transformer wall warts have only a bridge rectifier and electrolytic cap inside and the voltage can be over 15v off load.
Even with the load of a 7 transistor radio they are over 11v sometimes, my germaniums don't like it.
I often use 12v warts regulated down to 9v as I have a seemingly endless supply.
Sam.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:55 am   #11
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

There are more modern versions of the LM317 - LM1117 etc - but the trade off is lower current handling (800mA for the '1117) and lower maximum input (20v).

Old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, just stock up on the LM317.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:29 am   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

For basic uses like this, a simple zener stabiliser would be more than adequate.
Closed Thread