UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2020, 1:51 am   #1
Paolo_London
Triode

Default Help Please - Ferguson Garrard Autoslim

Greetings !
I am looking for some advice please.
I was given a Ferguson boxed record player, a 3002. Nice condition - everything powers up and runs, albeit, not quite smoothly yet.
I wasn't able to get any sound and made a visual check to determine if any wires were amiss, they were not.
However, in an effort of elimination, I removed the turnover cartridge and tried the one I have on my Dansette Major - it was not an exact fit, but with a little tape around it to test and voila' - I had sound.

What I cannot understand is the cartridge which appears not to work looks in fine condition, although I did not try it in the reverse on the Dansette.

I determined that I need to replace the cartridge but having checked the prices, £40+, I don't want to make that type of investment if I do not have to.
There does not appear to be any rust, discolouring or 'dirt' given its age.

I have taken some photos of the cartridge which came with the Ferguson and wondered if perhaps someone could let me know if indeed, I need to replace the whole thing. The serial number that appears on it is GP 67-2C.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cart 1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	220748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cart 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	220749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cart 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	220750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arm 1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	220751  
Old 19th Nov 2020, 9:34 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Help Please - Ferguson Garrard Autoslim

I would be surprised if that cartridge did work! Its a very old crystal cartridge and most of the cartridges from that era, gave up years ago.

You need to replace the whole cartridge, something like a BSR SC12 would work, but possibly with lower volume.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th Nov 2020, 10:05 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Also read this Thread for some information on the cartridge.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173222

David
Old 19th Nov 2020, 10:29 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I'm not sure you would want to replace that cartridge, even if you could!
It's a Mono only type and unless your LP records are Mono (which is highly unlikely) you will need a high-output, stereo-compatible type. The bad news is that they are no longer obtainable. If you do find a still working used one, they are likely to cost £30-40 because of their scarcity. It all depends on just how much you want to spend on your Ferguson? You come down to 2 choices, go buy a new (but Mono only) £35-00 high-output cartridge which will damage your Stereo LPs - or - build in a pre-amp to work with a lower output ceramic cartridge. You will have some costs either way.
Old 19th Nov 2020, 1:28 pm   #5
Paolo_London
Triode

Many thanks for all the replies. I have learnt a lot more than I did when I posted.

Attached is the cartridge from my Dansette Major which I fitted onto the Ferguson [ with tape ] and it played. It does not look too dissimilar to the cartridge that came with the Ferguson.

I have 2 record players, which are enough. I planned to clean the Ferguson, have it working and sell it on Ebay and doubt if it will achieve more than the price of a new cartridge anyway. The trend appears to be from buyers who like the two tone Dansette's - possibly for the 'novelty'. So many are cleaned up [ refurbished ] in such a way they no longer feel, look, smell or sound like an item which is 60+ years old. But hey ho, they fetch circa £200, so everyone is happy.

I would like to be realistic in the price it will achieve. I am quite happy to add a note of advisory regarding stereo/mono and any potential purchaser can decide whether they would like to invest further, dependent upon what they plan to use it for. I would simply like to get it working as cheaply as possible.
Other than the cartridge, it is in very clean condition. I am guessing it is from 1963, but possibly a couple of years later, relatively light. A nice record player which will hopefully go to a new home .... eventually !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dans.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	220774  
Old 20th Nov 2020, 10:36 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

As expected the cartridge from your Dansette "Major" is a BSR TC8H, a high-output, Mono only type. If you decide to sell your Ferguson (1962/1963) it may well sell. Do be aware a lot of the Buyers of these do not always quite understand quite what they are buying - especially those new who are to "Vinyl" with their expensive 180 gram Stereo re-issues!
Old 20th Nov 2020, 12:08 pm   #7
jonnybear
Octode

You could always fit one of these, they seem to give good results being used in the Ferguson which usually have a decent amplifier should sound good + it is stereo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-PL...UAAOSwdJtdWnYV.

John
Old 20th Nov 2020, 1:01 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, that's a nice little cartridge and ideal for many players, but it will not sound very loud (especially on LPs) on the OP's Ferguson 3002 record player. He needs a high-output type.