UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 8th May 2019, 12:12 pm   #1
David Simpson
Octode

Default A Hopeless Mahogany Case ?

Folk may have seen my "Rescued Test Equipment" thread of 16th Feb. One of the items - a Demolition Test set(pictures 3 & 4) - was extensively manky!
After recently renovating the Mahogany cased "Capacity Tester", & then just finishing an Oak cased "Desynn Tester", thought I'd attempt the demolition tester's mahogany case. No one seems to want the tester, but the well constructed case, now that all the much corroded &/or rusty hinges, catches, feet, etc. have been removed, could house another future project. As structurally, it hasn't suffered any damage, and I take my hat off to the chap('AP' - who had pencilled his initials inside the battery box) who did the excellent joinery.
Maybe my efforts in mank removal & hopeful surface restoration and varnishing might help others to consider such a task themselves.
The rust & verdigris penetration of the surface should hopefully be removable, but the oil stains worry me. Any suggestions, please ?

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (c).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	182689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (d).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	182690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (e).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	182691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (f).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	182692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (g).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	182693  

David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 3:04 pm   #2
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

Default Re: A Hopeless Mahogany Case ?

Might putting uncoloured absorbent (kitchen) paper on the stain and then applying a warm/hot iron to loosen the oil so that it gets absorbed by the paper help? I have no experience of this - it's just a thought.
Colin
ColinTheAmpMan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 3:24 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Getting some solvent in to make the oil more mobile, followed by contact with an absorbent material may work. Absorbent materials used for stain extraction can be paper, flour, bentonite dust, all sorts of things. Powders are better able than papers to conformally contact the surface.

David
Old Today, 6:15 pm   #4
David Simpson
Octode

God awful weather has driven me inside. Have followed Colin's & David's advice and soaked the lid(pre -warmed) in meths then weighted it down on top of some kitchen roll paper. That, along with a good scrape, then repeat sanding from P80 up to P600 has improved things greatly. Yep, there are still some deep stains which no amount of scraping & sanding will remove. But thankfully the oil residue has gone. Next - more sanding with higher grade paper, then a stain & varnish.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (i).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	183643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (j).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	183644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Set Demolition (k).jpg