UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2018, 3:43 pm   #21
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette HiFi with external stereo amplifier advice

Great, you have a PM back!
Old 21st Dec 2018, 5:32 pm   #22
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quick update: Antony came round to my place with both the record player and the amp. We had a nice chat about why he bought the set and I really enjoyed our connection. The 'why' story is Antony's so I'll leave it to you, Antony, to share if you feel like it!

Antony has acquired a Dansette 50 record player, with a bespoke separate amplifier. Both were originally free-standing on their own legs. Antony tells me he just found one pair of originals - nice result.

Originally, I was going to work on the separate amplifier first, but I've now renovated the record player and its amplifier as much as I can this side of Christmas, so it can be enjoyed over the season. The separate amplifier seems to be rare.

Magically, it was quality control 'passed' and date stamped, 21 December 1964!

Both the record player and the amplifier are equipped with ECL86 triode-pentode valves. These replaced the earlier version which had ECL82s.

When I briefly powered the set up (Antony had already done so), I noticed woolliness, severe clipping and poor volume.

*I rebuilt and mended the input/output board, which was broken and had a dry joint on the common ground, and poor joints on the other connections.

*I replaced the two leaky coupling capacitors marked 47K, from the triode phase splitter (half of V2A) to grid1 of the power output pentodes in the other half of the ECL86 valves. These are original Mullard types: nice to see they survived, as they are now extremely expensive.

*I replaced a leaky C5 from the centre of the volume pot to the first triode grid. This is marked 10K on the circuit diagram and is in fact only 1,000pF, not 10nF.

*I removed rust from the valve pins, which had originated in the retaining clips, and cleaned all the other pins.

*I cleaned off some grot and rust flecking from the player mechanism.

* I soak-tested the set at a good room-listening volume. The sound is now clear and bright and it's a neat result.

There are a couple of out of spec resistors to replace which are over 20% out of spec and which I don't have to hand. I'll do this in the New Year, when I'm also refurbing the separate amplifier.

The 2nF bass tone control capacitor is also leaky so I'll replace this at the same time.

But all in all, a nice result.
Old 21st Dec 2018, 6:09 pm   #23
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Just a bit of history - Mullard made a nice 10W stereo amp with these same valves, also in push-pull, in the same era, only with an EF86 at the front end.

The amplifier in the record player and in its separate companion should each be good for about 8W, around 15W stereo.

Antony would need to source a stereo cartridge, though, as the current, original, is only mono. It may be that a different cartridge has to be susbstituted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	175031  
Old 21st Dec 2018, 7:40 pm   #24
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Mods: now that we know, would it be a good idea to re-title the thread, to make it easier for others to find in future?:

'Dansette 50 Hifi' and external Dansette HiFi amplifier Mk ii (1964).
Old 21st Dec 2018, 8:47 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This looks like a more modern version of the Ekco8Octavia that I have A+A, with two units as well. The record player was muffled but then I realised you had to get it up on the legs and open the acoustic ports/vents underneath. I don't think that was the same with the Dansette though-more the electronics eh!

Someone posted a more "modern" version of my Ekco in 2017. It all comes up with a search above as they are both relatively rare models. I think you epitomise the Forum attitude Al, especially with your own difficulties. The Christmas Spirit! Thinking of which, it may be time for a "snifter". Well practise makes perfect and I have just got a CD Recorder to behave itself. Not really sure how though

Dave
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 12:50 am   #26
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post

... I think you epitomise the Forum attitude Al, especially with your own difficulties.
Thank you, Dave!

It means a lot to me to be able to bring this set back to life, in time for Christmas and for the enjoyment of the OP and his family.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 11:05 am   #27
antony07
Retired Dormant Member

Dave you are 100% right. This is the first time I have posted on the forum and I was surprised at how helpful people were being a newbie. A quick phone call with Al, we discovered that we were actually neighbours. I explained I'd bought the record player for a Christmas present for my girlfriend. She's a drummer / artist who regretted getting rid of her vinyl collection and record player when vinyl became less popular. Since then I've noticed she's always been looking at those suitcase record players whenever we go to charity shops.

So the plan was to buy a vintage record player for Christmas as a surprise. It was an ebay purchase, when I won the auction, the guy selling the record player said he had another speaker that matched what I had won, somebody had already tried to buy it separately, but I am a big vintage fan and matching original items are hard to come by. These external add-on speakers are incredibly rare, the only similar one that I have seen was listed on ebay for £525, so a deal was struck and I now owned a matching pair.

This is when I made the classic error of being a novice and did the plug in and see if it works, Al made a very simple comment, you wouldn't build a classic car then take it on a motorway for it's first run.

As a classic car owner I totally understood that so I popped down the road with the record player and amp for Al to take a quick look just to make sure it was safe to operate and wouldn't do any damage if operated. This was supposed to be a quick check over of the record player and to try and get the amp working, but taking Al's advice he was to focus on the record player rather than amp, so my girlfriend would be able to use it on Christmas day.

Al has re-prioritised his own plans in order to fit me in for christmas and I now have a record player I can play safe with the knowledge that I won't damage it any further.

I cannot wait to see my girlfriends face when she opens her surprise and it's all thanks to the kindness of Al!

Thanks

Ant
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 11:12 am   #28
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette HiFi Mk II, with matching stereo amplifier

What a lovely story, and three cheers for Al!
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 1:50 pm   #29
dave walsh
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette HiFi Mk II, with matching stereo amplifier

Yes very seasonal Nick. Just call me "Tiny Tim" [maybe not].
Significant correction. I don't know why I got the title of my Player so wrong -unless I was thinking "one over the eight" [combined with the Octavia vehicle] but it should be the Ekco 9 Octave!

Dave
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 2:43 pm   #30
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette 50 HiFi r/player with Dansette HiFi Mark II amp for stereo, early 1960s

One thing that would really improve the sound now that the record player amplifier is free of major faults would be a new cartridge and stylus. The cartridge currently fitted is mono and the integral stylus is very badly worn. I flipped it over to see the one on the other side and it’s in the same condition.

As the plan is also to get the record player and separate amp working together, the stereo dream can only be realised with a new and stereo cartridge.

Attached is a hand-written note from the ancient past stuck above the manufacturers’s plate suggesting a Cresta A22 diamond 32/6 to replace the original stylus. But someone way back decided to pop a mono cartridge in , so we need to source an appropriate one...

Any leads, all ye cartridge experts?

In the New Year, I’ll also be giving attention to the tone controls. The volume control is a log law but has a fault / intermittent track and the bass control is also whack. I’ve agreed with Antony to investigate and fix this when he returns the set to me temporarily...

But only after Antony has seen the reaction of his girlfriend on Christmas Day!
Exciting times!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1CE02A9-2AED-4F7E-B15A-1E1E1B807777.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	175056  
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 2:54 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette 50 HiFi r/player with Dansette HiFi Mark II amp for stereo, early 1960s

I'm sure you will get the very best cartridge advice Al. That note left by the engineer reminds me of how things used to be in a way-ie customer care. These days there would be a concern in case the client injured themselves [somehow] and the lawyers got involved. Meanwhile, watch out for a woman carrying a bunch of Mistletoe at the front door

I hope that you have a particularly good Christmas this year!

Dave
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 3:00 pm   #32
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you can, I suggest you source a Sonotone 9TA/HC. There is just about enough gain on the amp for this. If not, then a BSR SC11M or 12M which will have slightly higher output over the Sonotone.
I think the "50" which has crept into the Dansette's title, refers to a Garrard Model 50 autochanger which was fitted to these later models. If it is fitted here, the tonearm on these is not quite as compliant as the better known Garrard AT6.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 3:00 pm   #33
paulsherwin

You might want to consider fitting a magnetic cartridge such as an AT91. You would need to build a preamp, but this is cheap and fairly simple: http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html

If you want to stick with ceramic, the amps should have enough gain for one of the red Chinese jobs.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:14 pm   #34
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post

If you want to stick with ceramic, the amps should have enough gain for one of the red Chinese jobs.
Thank you, Paul. I searched for Dansette and is a Sonotone 3559 comes up (also for Garrard)... would this be compatible? The current cartridge is retained by a single screw. I haven’t seen the red types you mention-what’s a good search term?

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 22nd Dec 2018 at 6:22 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:24 pm   #35
paulsherwin

This is the cartridge: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ridge&_sacat=0

You can buy them with a mounting clip, or you could fabricate something. If you go down the AT91 route it will come prepped for a standard 2 hole mounting so you may need to fabricate something there too. You may be able to cannibalise the old cartridge to make a mounting.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 7:42 pm   #36
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post

You can buy them with a mounting clip, or you could fabricate something. If you go down the AT91 route it will come prepped for a standard 2 hole mounting so you may need to fabricate something there too..

Thanks, Paul. I'll talk over the pros and cons with Antony and we'll make a decision. Much appreciated.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 9:10 pm   #37
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
...If not, then a BSR SC11M or 12M which will have slightly higher output over the Sonotone.
Thank you, Edward, I'll investigate.

Quote:
I think the "50" which has crept into the Dansette's title, refers to a Garrard Model 50 autochanger ... If it is fitted here, the tonearm on these is not quite as compliant as the better known Garrard AT6.
That's an interesting bit of history, thanks Edward. And your advice on options is much appreciated.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 9:22 pm   #38
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post

I hope that you have a particularly good Christmas this year!
Thank you, Dave. That's kind of you. And yes, it's looking like the best one for four years, in many ways!

I hope yours is wonderful, too!
Old 25th Dec 2018, 2:50 pm   #39
antony07
Retired Dormant Member

Massive thanks to Al, I have a safe, working dansette and the happiest of girlfriends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9058B554-BEF9-44D9-BC7F-2CB5BD4E396B.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	175164  
Old 25th Dec 2018, 6:17 pm   #40
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

That’s magical, Antony! I feel so happy for both of you! Thanks for sharing!