UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:45 am   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Ronnette 105s Still In Use?

Hi Folks,

I have a Garrard 210 here with a Ronnette 105 cartridge, awaiting its reinstallation into a radiogram after a brief going over. It's a decent sounding radiogram (Bush SRG86) and does warrant a decent audio source. When fed with a line level signal from my main audio "rig" it sounds excellent.

Typically, as done with some other decks, I would fit a Stanton 500 and hide a preamp in the record deck compartment. I'm not sure I can be bothered with this one as the deck won't be used as frequently, so am toying with the idea of keeping the Ronnette. The rubber supports seem supple, it looks to be in good condition, and both channels at least work. I have yet to test it in a proper amp though..

Am I likely to get any meaningful length of service from this cartridge? Does anyone else still use one? They were very common and I wonder how many have survived into modern day use

Is it worth replacing the stylus and exposing it to my less cherished vinyl?

It goes without saying the Pink Floyd etc won't be going anywhere near it

Best Regards, Adam.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:32 pm   #2
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Re: Ronnette 105s Still In Use?

I'm not keen on the Ronette 105, in my experience it's harsher sounding than the BSR equivalents.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:38 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

I had a working one in a Decca radiogram and it sounded OK. There is (was?) an Italian remake, but that didn't sound very nice at all!
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:40 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

…..and be careful of the 'remakes' that some US suppliers have for sale.

There are some Japanese made ones about but I have no experience of them.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:45 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Whilst the compliance on this is not as good as some later ceramic cartridges, if it's giving a balanced output (c.250mV) on both channels I'd use it. Get a new stylus and set the Garrard arm to 5 grams. A NOS BSR cartridge will cost c.£35.00 and a Sonotone 9TA/HC or Decca Deram even more- that's if you can still get them.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:49 pm   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

I've been regularly using a Ronette cartridge (branded as CollaroTranscription) for several years now. It's still working well as the original fit in my Collaro 4T200 transcription deck from the late 1950s. To my ears it sounds at least as good as other crystal cartridges of its generation.

In my, admittedly limited, experience, Ronette cartridges can be relatively long-lived and give a smoother frequency response than, say the Garrard GC2, another common survivor from the 1950s.

Martin
Old 11th Dec 2018, 1:52 pm   #7
Neil Purling
Nonode

The Ronette 105 and DC284 mono turnover cartridges may have been by Fox in Japan. well... The styli were. I used OEM Goldring tips.
You are right about the long lasting Garrard GC2. Amazing that the Rochelle Salt element hadn't succumbed.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 12:00 am   #8
PsychMan
Octode

Decided to stick with the ronette for now. I reinstalled the turntable tonight and it’s not bad considering it’s the original ropey looking stylii . I think it warrants some new ones for further assessment, thanks all for the comments.

Do the styli just pull off on these? I’m nervous to try without asking some advice first, my hands can be destructive
Old 14th Dec 2018, 9:52 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, just gently prise off the large flat section of the stylus shank (tweezers help) and the whole stylus will come away. Just press the new stylus on and check the vertical alignment from the front on view. Well worth buying a new one.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 3:22 pm   #10
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks Edward, I will go about sourcing some now

Im actually quite pleased Ive kept this one on ceramic pickups. I have a fair few cartridges Ive acquired over the years Id like to give a try, Decca Deram, sonotone 9s, GC8/GC8s, GC10 and so on, and a few headshells that fit this deck
Old 14th Dec 2018, 9:51 pm   #11
PaulR
Dekatron

I have a Ronette 105 remake which works very well in my BSR UA14, The only drawback I have found is that the plastic mouldings are much cruder than on the original.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 11:48 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

I too have a stereo 105 I took out of an old BSR deck back in the late 1980s. Recently put it to use in a portable Braun PC3 deck and was delighted to see it had survived !

Last edited by ben; 15th Dec 2018 at 12:03 am.
Closed Thread