UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2007, 3:32 pm   #1
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Skybox Scart to Aurora converter for live tv?

Hello People,

I've been thinking about the idea of using the SCART output from my Skybox via a SCART to Composite video box and then into my Aurora Standards converter for live tv. Has anyone done this, and does it work properly. I don't know if the appropriate signals are available from the Skybox.
I daresay at least one person on here has this working, so i might be asking silly questions, but i'd like to know, so i can try it myself (without killing the Skybox as my wife (Hi Shell ! ) would probably do me serious damage !!).

Cheers,
Alan.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 4:46 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Skybox Scart to Aurora converter for live tv?

SCART outputs normally (always?) have a composite output which can be fed directly to an Aurora. Pinout of SCART can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Get a SCART to phono plugs adaptor lead and you won't even have to do any soldering.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 4:55 pm   #3
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: Skybox Scart to Aurora converter for live tv?

Hello Jeffrey,

I was'nt sure if the composite output from a scart socket actually included sync pulses and stuff needed for the converter. It seems odd that scart has a seperate sync output as well. Maybe i've just tried to make it too complicated?
Thanks for your information on this.

All the best,
Alan.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 5:25 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The separate sync output is for use with RGB components. Composite means video with syncs. For colour, composite video also includes colour information and is often known as CVBS.

Although very convenient, composite video (PAL, NTSC, SECAM) will gradually fall out use since the picture quality can never be as good as component video. Once the colour information is modulated on to a subcarrier and mixed with the luminance it's impossible to take it apart again without losing something. Or gaining something unwanted, like cross colour. The problems may be slight in some cases but they are always there. All satellite and Freeview transmissions are inherently component video.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 11:02 pm   #5
channel405
Tetrode

Most half decent digiboxes will provide RGB out of the scart. Very few if any digiboxes will do component as this is not used so much in Europe. Component tends to be more popular in the US. Having said that many DVD players/recorders will output component through phono sockets and RGB through the scart. I feed my Aurora from the Y component phono socket of a DVD recorder so there is no colour subcarrier degrading the signal. The DVD recorder is in turn fed RGB from a digibox (Sky box) ensuring the best possible signal path.

There is an arguement that RGB is better than component. I tend to agree. Component still needs a degree of processing, where as RGB just needs amplifying and feeding into the tube, but our American friends may disagree!
Old 27th Feb 2007, 12:23 am   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

RGB is one type of component. YCbCr or YPbPr (often called YUV) are also called component. All the transmission systems use YPbPr, all the displays are inherently RGB. It can hardly matter where you convert to RGB.

Using the Y component (from YPbPr or YC) to feed an Aurora is best if you have the older multistandard unit. The much more common Aurora with modulator has a very good comb filter so the loss from feeding it with composite PAL is negligible.
Old 28th Feb 2007, 10:33 pm   #7
bobsterkent
Hexode

i can only get my standards converter to work on one of the dvd players i have, it wont work on the other one or the freeview box at all. any ideas?
Old 28th Feb 2007, 10:52 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

That's very strange. The Aurora is very tolerant of all sorts of video inputs and will probably even cope with Macrovision anti-copy signals. Any chance of looking at the video input to the Aurora with a 'scope?
Old 28th Feb 2007, 11:25 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Just a thought, but could it be that they don't provide a composite output?
Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:15 am   #10
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi,
The decoder in the converter should lock to any standard definition interlaced video. I did notice a problem when developing the units with the output from my Denon A/V receiver when it was in it's default mode. The converter would not lock, but after further investigating, the output from the Denon was non-interlaced SD. I then set the output from my DVD player to progressive SD, and the unit would also not lock, so this is something to check for on those units. A television doesn't really care if the signal in non-interlaced, but the video decoder as programmed does.
Hope this helps.

Darryl
Old 1st Mar 2007, 10:08 am   #11
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Hello People,

It seems that what was a quite simple question has become a bit of an unknown !! (this was why i posed the question).
Has anyone actually tried hooking their SkyBox up to the Low cost Aurora and had it working (showing live tv in 405 line)?
I will try to get hold of a scart break-out box at the weekend and give it a go myself. I will let you know the results.

Cheers,
Alan.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:59 pm   #12
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoonBloke View Post
Hello People,

It seems that what was a quite simple question has become a bit of an unknown !! (this was why i posed the question).
Has anyone actually tried hooking their SkyBox up to the Low cost Aurora and had it working (showing live tv in 405 line)?

Cheers,
Alan.
yep i do it all the time from both my SKY digibox and an old On digital freeview box, i have never encountered a problem in doing this and all i use to conect the box to the aurora is a lead i made up with a scart on one end and three phonos on the other (i'm far to stingy to buy a proper scart brakeout box). one thing i do have problems with though is a coupple of the dvd players i have here dont respond at all well, using the same cable as mentioned to connect them to the aurora the film will play but the image is washed out as though the contrast is turned right up on the tv. i now use a cheep tesco value dvd player which seems to work fine. most strange as you would expect the composite video signal to be a constant between all manufacturers.

Jay
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 9:47 am   #13
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Cheers Jay,

I look foreward to watching everything from now on on a 9" Bush TV12AM !!
I'm going to rig mine up at the weekend, and enjoy.

Thanks,
Alan.

p.s. i use a dvd player as a source of video, but my player has a composite video out socket as well as scart, so i use composite. Interesting that signals vary as much as they seem to considering that this is supposed to be a standard.
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 10:23 am   #14
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

If anyone's having trouble with an Aurora and can get to my place in North London I'm happy to take a look. It will be interesting to see the sorts of signals that can give trouble. Darryl has highlighted sequential (non-interlaced) signals and I have my suspicions about Macrovision. I've got the test gear here to take a really good look at the signals and spot anything strange.
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 9:09 am   #15
bobsterkent
Hexode

i'll take you upon that offer, would be nice to get rid of some of the stack in the corner.
Old 29th Jun 2007, 7:13 am   #16
taipai_royal
Pentode

I dont get a signal when using a scart to phono plugs adaptor on my Sagem digi box, but do when using the TV phonos. Any ideas?
Graham.
Old 29th Jun 2007, 10:49 am   #17
David_Robinson
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds like you need an adaptor that goes in the right direction i.e. from SCART to phono, or one with an input/output switch.
Old 29th Jun 2007, 5:35 pm   #18
Steve_P
Dekatron

David's right. SCART leads vary in their make up, and some of the really cheap ones don't have all the terminals connected up.

To be sure it'll work,

1: Check the menu's in the Box you wish to televise, or use the socket you use for a TV.
2: Get a SCART/PHONO adaptor. The type with ALL PINS and an IN/OUT switch.
3: Get a phono-phono lead - and a PHONO STEREO to MONO splitter.
4: Put the Scart/Phono adaptor in the Unit to be shown.
5: Use the lead and the sterep/mono adaptor to connect the Aurora.
6: Switch the aurora and the TV on.
7: If you've not got any signal, check the switch on the Scart Adaptor.

You should now get a signal on the 405 Line TV.

If you don't, then something is faulty!!!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 30th Jun 2007, 7:59 pm   #19
taipai_royal
Pentode

Thanks Steve and David,
Before I buy a switched adaptor here is some more info.
My Sagem digi box is the very basic (cheap) model ITD58G with only one scart outlet. The choice of tv output settings are screen format (4.3), scaling (pan scan), and RGB output (on).
When I connect up using a scart lead and 2 way box I can get a signal for the auroa,but only if the tv is also plugged in to the other socket on the 2 way box?, it doesnt matter if the tv is on or off ?.
Graham
Old 30th Jun 2007, 9:13 pm   #20
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Turn off the RGB output. If the output is RGB there may not be a composite PAL (CVBS) output that's needed by the Aurora.
Closed Thread