UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2012, 8:47 pm   #1
petertheorgan
Hexode

Default Tidying up my Auroras.

I have just obtained my third Aurora which has been brought to demonstrate a Pye D18T that lives in my treatment room and also to have a portable unit. Once this had arrived, I was determined that this was to be neatly mounted on a board to keep it safe and easy to use. I completed this project this morning and I have attached a photo of the finished result.

However, I was so impressed with the final result and inspired by another gentleman of this parish that I decided it was time to do something about the 'rats nest' that was the Auroras (if that is the correct term) that feed the museum.

Two hours later and a little simple carpentry, this is the result.

Photo below and a photo of a pair of GECs in the museum showing both channels.

Comments please.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01621 (Medium).jpg
Views:	526
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	69669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01623 (Medium).JPG
Views:	506
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	69670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01625 (Medium).JPG
Views:	519
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	69671  
Old 12th Aug 2012, 4:54 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Tidying up my Auroras.

Very tidy to say the least.
Old 13th Aug 2012, 5:41 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Peter,
What at first appears to be a simple problem can be surprisingly difficult to solve. The workshop and museum are fed with an off air signal that is picked up from the Midhurst transmitter via an aerial mounted on a short pole on the end of the museum outbuilding.
A mast head amplifier provides a couple of outputs, one to the workshop and the other to the museum. I constructed this wood shelf unit to house one Aurora, a DVD player, Freeview box and a self contained modulator. An auxilary input can be switched into circuit via the three phono sockets that can be seen in the shelf picture.
This supplies analogue signals to the 625/UHF colour and monochrome receivers and 405 signals as required. The unit is switched so that any combination can be selected. Band 3 is not catered for in the museum at the moment but can be easily added.
The workshop has a similar arrangement with the addition of Band 3 provided by a Rank pattern generator and a Belling Lee diplexer similar to yours. It does work very well and has tided up the mass of leads that existed till recently. A very Old 'Rainbow' distribution amplifer provided by 'Tas' a couple of years ago provides extra 405 sockets. You can never have enough!
[It contains an EF91 and tuned circuits]
No doubt the system will evolve over the next twelve months as minor omissions are corrected. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Distribution.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	69723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainbow amp.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	69724  
Old 14th Aug 2012, 11:00 am   #4
TNC
Hexode

Why doesn't my osteopath have early TV in his treatment room - I am sure it would greatly assist the healing process...perhaps we should push for a directory of practitioners (doctors, dentists etc. etc.) who provide such delights to help us "addicts" feel less isolated and part of the Big Society!

Trevor.
Old 8th Oct 2012, 5:28 pm   #5
Brigham
Octode

I need to 'have a go' at something like this, to eliminate flying leads.

Can you tell me what is in the casing housing the VHF-Out aerial socket in Post 1, pic. 2? The point at which the Band I and Band III signals combine, I mean.

If both converters are being driven, does it allow you to 'turn over' on a turret-type set, in the normal way?
Old 9th Oct 2012, 12:00 am   #6
petertheorgan
Hexode

Hello Brigham

In the diplexer , there is a pair of inducters and capacitors to combine band one and band three , in the good old days , this was used to combine the "new" ITA aerial with the old BBC aerial so they could share a downlead , I use it to combine the outputs of two of my aurora,s and yes you are correct , I can turn over my turret tuner and as I live in London , BBC is on "1" and ITA is on "9"
Old 9th Oct 2012, 8:17 pm   #7
JoshWard
Octode

Very clever!

I recently rearranged my bedroom so of course had to move the rats nest so something like this seems like a nice solution. Of course there is still the associated rats nest of wiring for the freeview box or DVD player etc. I guess a nice large wooden box would be a good solution, perhaps the cabinet of a long dead TV or radio?

Mind you, when they pull down Tacolneston mast I might just pinch that and rig it up in the back garden, should be up to the job, and with Mendlesham for Band 3 I am sorted
Closed Thread