UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2019, 5:30 pm   #1
stuarth
Heptode

Default World’s smallest record player

It won’t play your latest vinyls though!

Yes, that is a stylus on a pivoting arm.

The “record” is a rectangular card, about the size of a playing card which slots in behind the window, and the “turntable” is the disc which carries the stylus. The stylus and “tone arm” spin, not the record.

I do not have any records for this, but I believe they were available with birdsongs, and had a description and picture of the bird visible through the window while the record was playing.

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	178707  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 5:44 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: World’s smallest record player

Talking soft toys with a pull-cord use a type of acoustic record player mechanism. They contain a disk with several tracks spiralled. Pulling the cord winds the spring and causes the stylus, which is attached directly to a crude plastic speaker-type cone, to land on the record with spring pressure, randomly playing one of the tracks. The tracks are only a few seconds long.

I don't know whether that mechanism is bigger or smaller than your unit, so how it would compete for "world's smallest".

Yours is accessible and can play "records" of the owner's choice. An interesting, unusual, and probably very rare item. It's a shame you don't have anything for it to play.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Feb 2019, 5:48 pm   #3
bluepilot
Heptode

This one's quite small:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yToFtXe_k
As is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmx-nwetRwI

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 19th Feb 2019, 6:03 pm   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

I seem to recall a little motorised 'mouse' that you could place on a record ..... it then 'ran' around the grooves and emanated [poor quality] sound. The mouse looked reasonably realistic [i.e. verminous] ..... I can't remember whether it was clockwork or battery powered.

An interesting 'novelty' anyway ....
Old 19th Feb 2019, 6:26 pm   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

I like this one better:-

https://www.emiarchivetrust.org/the-first-mini-disc/
Old 19th Feb 2019, 8:29 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
I seem to recall a little motorised 'mouse' that you could place on a record ..... it then 'ran' around the grooves and emanated [poor quality] sound. The mouse looked reasonably realistic [i.e. verminous] ..... I can't remember whether it was clockwork or battery powered.
I've seen a "VW camper" version of this, Battery powered and with a Bluetooth TX on board. I can't see it being overly kind to your records but a cute novelty item I suppose.

The Microsonic pictured looks altogether a more serious thing & it is indeed a shame there's no material for it to play, I wonder how it would have sounded in comparison to other "novelty" players.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 11:08 pm   #7
stuarth
Heptode

I’ve seen sets of cards based on the birds for different areas of the USA. I think bird watchers take them into the field to help identify birds by their sound as well as the picture on the card. So as such, they have a particular application, rather than being just a novelty.

Stuart
Closed Thread