UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2019, 9:03 pm   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Broken plastic earth pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
On the other hand, the three pin plastic mouldings that come mounted ON the plug of a new appliance to prevent scratching or damage are definitely a good idea!
The old PPP,
Power Plug Prophylactic.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 9:17 pm   #22

I am still wondering what they are for considering most leads are packed in their own little compartment and in a poly bag. Back slightly on topic, I had cause to run a sig gen without an earth, not wishing to make a dodgy lead (I was at work) I merrily plugged it into an extension block "upside down" defeating the shutters with a screwdriver.

Old 31st Jan 2019, 9:20 pm   #23
duncanlowe
Nonode

Th only time I have seen issues with broken plastic 'earth' pins is on toshiba laptop leads. We had a real problem with them for a few years where they would get snapped off while in a laptop bag. Inconvenient but conventional IEC so easy to substitute luckily.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 11:02 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

I would be inclined to replace the socket outlet with an MK unit. Look around for a decent second hand one.
Whilst this is probably prohibited in a rented home, who is going to know ? provided that the manufacturing date of the replacement socket predates your tenancy.

MK sockets are almost unique in that the shutter is operated by equal pressure on the live and neutral pins, and not by the earth pin as is more common.

If all else fails, make up an extension lead with a plug of your choice and an MK socket.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 12:27 am   #25
dglcomp
Heptode

On one I had where there was nothing behind the snapped off earth pin (it extended above the case) I used a single trailing socket, removed the shutters and earth contact and then inserted a screw from the rear of the earth hole and into what was left of the plastic earth pin to secure the plug in. This was then reassembled and some tape applied to give more mechanical strength.
Closed Thread