UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:22 pm   #21
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: Sanusi RS-Q7 Turntable not spinning up and tone arm not lifting

There is a lower end model the Q5 which sold on ebay last year for 600 Euros. When mines refurbed and sorted I’d hope to get at least that for it if I ever did sell it, given the extreme rarity of this model Im sure I would on the international market.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-XR...QAAOSwIGxb7ZCd

Also one another a lower end Q5 for 700 Euros
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232986446...&ul_noapp=true

The specs on mine are also pretty good

Type: 2-speed, fully automatic turntable with synchrotor and quartz servo system

Motor: Coreless and brushless Hall DC motor

Drive system: direct spindle drive with synchrotor system

Platter: 330mm aluminium alloy

Wow and flutter: less than 0.009%

Siganl to noise ratio: better than 80dB

Platter speeds: 33 and 45rpm

I’ve seen some in Japan on their independent auction sites go as high as 111,958.61 Japanese Yen.
Which is about 900 Euros, thats their home market though, so I imagine demand is very high there.

That £325 price was very low to be honest. I imagine that’s because it was for collection only so limited the potential market and overseas interest. I know when I’ve sold hifi gear, I always get a lot of interest from Germany among other places.

Also just found this https://vinylborsen.com/hi-fi-begagn...sui-xr-q7.html My Sansui model, just in a different wood option. Currently priced at 14,900 SEK, which is almost £1300. So you see this is why I think it is worth getting repaired. It’s a higher end turntable, which I got for nothing and looks stunning too.

If I get this working I don’t think I’d ever sell it. Probably my turntable for as long as she remains functional.

But yeah thanks. I hope it won’t cost too much to repair, if it can even be fixed at all. With it being fully digital the biggest concern is for a ROM chip or propriety IC to have failed inside it, hopefully all will be revealed over the coming week.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 11th Jan 2019 at 10:52 pm.
Old 18th Jan 2019, 10:58 am   #22
Ryan_1993
Hexode

So i heard back from my repair tech and its got a faulty component in the Tonearm mechanism. Its a Darlington Phototransistor made by Toshiba Part number is TPS605. It seems to be a struggle to find one
Old 18th Jan 2019, 3:39 pm   #23
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I guess that’s part of the sensor that detects the arm has returned to its rest. Shame they didn’t use a simple microswitch! I wonder if an equivalent can be found?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 18th Jan 2019, 6:18 pm   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

A regular phototransistor and any other SI-NPN transistor ought to do the job .....
Old 18th Jan 2019, 6:52 pm   #25
ajgriff
Nonode

Please can someone with the necessary power correct the spelling of Sansui in the thread title. It's driving me mad. Thank you in advance.

Alan
Old 18th Jan 2019, 8:37 pm   #26
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Toshiba TPS605 is a high sensitivity photo darlington, light current at 0.01mW/cm(sq.) is typically 1mA. Peak spectral response is 700 to 750nm.

If this helps in sourcing an equivalent, have attached a drawing of physical outline. Without seeing layout and space available to fit an alternative anything suggested will be a guess.

Maybe something like Vishay VEMT2003X01 will be small enough, however gain will be lower and spectral response is reduced when comparing specifications. You may have to alter the circuit.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPS605 Outline.png
Views:	71
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	176657  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 9:06 pm   #27
Ryan_1993
Hexode

I have managed to source some parts they were $1.10 each I ordered 3 just to be safe.
Old 7th Feb 2019, 4:03 pm   #28
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: Sansui RS-Q7 Turntable not spinning up and tone arm not lifting

Bit of an update from my repair tech in regards to my TT. I thought it might have a few more issues than the transister given its been stored in a garage lol. It is actually in a working state now, but still needs a few more adjustments to get it spot on.

Thought I'd give you a progress report. Unfortunately the turntable has a few issues. The good news is that the sensor worked OK and the motor runs. After fitting the sensor the stylus would land above the record but the arm wouldn't lower. The up/down button did nothing either and some of the other buttons were sticking. I dismantled the button assembly and found all the switches had high resistance contacts and the surrounds had come away from the top panel. I re-glued the surrounds and lubricated the switches with switch cleaner. This made little difference although it had obviously needed doing. I dismantled the arm operating mechanism and found one of the microswitches was faulty. I had one in stock so I fitted that. The stylus now lands on the record and the up/down switch works. However there are still some other problems. The start/stop button works to start the unit but once it is playing, pressing the button again does nothing so it can't be stopped that way. Also when the stylus reaches the lead out groove on the record the arm does not lift or return. In addition the 'silent synchrotor locked' light is flickering which I suspect is because the motor bearings are stiff. I need to strip down the motor and lubricate it.

I have spent quite a while on the job so far and I shall have to put it on one side whilst I catch up with a few other jobs but I'll get back to it again in a few days.

Hopefully I'll be able to sort out the remaining problems but it is usable now so we know that there is already a good outcome.

Regards,

Old 13th Feb 2019, 10:47 pm   #29
Ryan_1993
Hexode

And great news she is all back working again.

I’m off to pick it up on Friday total cost for repair £104. Not bad at all since the TT was free.

Bought a Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge for it. Hopefully its a welcome upgrade over the low end Ortofon it has installed currently. A few have said these are a great pairing with Sansui Turntables.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:52 am   #30
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That’s good news, and not a bad price with all the extra work that was needed to get it up to spec.

I’d never thought Ortofon did anything low end! Then again, my most extravagant cartridge is an Audio Technica T4p something or other in a Technics SL-5 that I got for a fiver years ago, and it doesn’t sound as good to me as the AT-91 type carts fitted to a Sharp VZ-3500 that I revived last year!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 14th Feb 2019, 8:59 am   #31
Radio Wrangler

That sounds like success to me. A working turntable, an affordable bill, and a happy owner.

David
Old 18th Feb 2019, 1:16 pm   #32
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks all.

I’m very pleased with it. Sounds excellent and is only going to sound even better with the NAG MP-110 Cart installed. Much improved over my old PL-12D turntable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58CAC9D0-164E-41B7-8976-7A60FECF74E9.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	178610  
Closed Thread