UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2007, 1:53 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Sutton Coldfield's standards converter

Jeffrey's mention elsewhere of the very few ex-BBC standards converters which had found their way into lucky private hands by the mid 1980s prompts me to mention 'mine' - a digital converter from Sutton Coldfield obtained with the kind help of Phil Marrison and later serviced by him.

This lived in my bedroom airing cupboard for twenty years, and was then passed on to the care of the BVWS when I changed it for a Domino, obtained of course from Malcolm Everiss.

Anyone know what has become of it now ?

Steve
Old 6th May 2007, 2:34 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Sutton Coldfield's standards converter

I know Malcolm has a standards converter rack, but I don't know whether it's that one or not.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th May 2007, 3:10 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Hmm... I want one at some point. A thing a few inches square is all very well, but it does not have the same charm does it?

And you can't put a cup of tea on it either!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 6th May 2007, 4:01 pm   #4
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Steve

You could place it IN a cup or mug of tea.!!!

ALAn
Old 6th May 2007, 9:30 pm   #5
taipai_royal
Pentode

Better without sugar.
Old 6th May 2007, 10:44 pm   #6
Ray Cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hmm... I want one at some point...
You want one? You have been remembering to take your medication, haven't you

I'm not at all sure that the digital converter was ever actually used at Sutton, though I remember seeing one there - ex-Llanddona, I believe. Sutton mostly ran on the analogue versions.

Sutton, of course, had two of those beasties. Just about essential: one would probably be being worked on at any given time, whilst the other limped on carrying the service. Occasionally their roles would be interchanged at very short notice.

As far as I can remember, one of these went to the Birmingham Science Museum, along with one of the old Band I CG1 TXs. I don't know if either of these items is still extant.
Old 8th May 2007, 4:20 pm   #7
beery
Heptode

Hi All,
I've got an Ex BBC digital converter.
I'm not sure where it is from, but it has a torn lable on the side which says "Crystal P", the bit after the "P" is missing. We could assume Crystal Palace, but then again it can't be the one that Jeffrey rescude from there.
Maybe it is the sister one from the site or maybe it was there once, went for maintenance and ended up on another site.
Hmm.

Cheers
Andy
Old 8th May 2007, 4:35 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I collected another CO6/509 from CP for use at the museum at Thorn-EMI Central Research. SInce that museum is now disbanded (what hapenned to the HMV900, Emitron camera etc?) the converter may have found its way out to a 3rd party.
Closed Thread