UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2019, 8:19 pm   #21
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: HAC Regen receiver PSU

My HAC from 1973 (perhaps?) included 2kOhm phones which were Japanese in origin I suppose.

They were much lighter and I think better insulated than SG-Browns. They had soft ear pads.

Anyway - as the HAC was my bed side SWL set at that time I remember that they <bit> me many times.
Rather strange since I doubt there were any exposed terminals as the SG Browns had on each earpiece.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 18th Feb 2019 at 8:27 pm.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:37 pm   #22
Malcolm T
Hexode

That,s a fairly good FET build and very interesting, i had a look on the inet and there, s quite a few people building valve regen,s or space charge types .
I dont think i ever got a bite off mine , and it was very absorbing hearing all the foreign stations, a real geography lesson , my aerial was a length of yellow cloth covered steel wire but i also had a length of black vulcanised steel wire about 8 or 10 strands , i still have that vulcanised wire in a sealed bag and once in a while i have a whiff of it, the aroma is very distinctive, and it brings back all those early memories of my start in radio !.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 7:38 pm   #23
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

When I had one of these at the tender age of 12 or 13....
I took it and it's batteries/headphones on what was a Sunday sea-side day out to the North Kent coast.

Somewhere around Herne Bay I set it up on a cliff top with some wire rigged up as best I could - maybe along some wooden fence.
Earth went to a metal fence near by.

The Top Band coil was blasted by the diddley-dums (Navigation) - whether I got much from the 80m end I don't know.

This will be minimum 45 yrs ago...
Old 20th Feb 2019, 9:48 am   #24
Malcolm T
Hexode

Wow , you beat me to it then , /P with an HAC. You can,t beat it really , the feeling of capturing stations that might be out there , 45 years that,s a sobering thought !
Have you still got the set ?.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 10:19 am   #25
Malcolm T
Hexode

I have just found another circuit for a HAC psu DC - DC converter it looks interesting .
What HT current does the HAC draw and does it change when the regen control is moved.
Still considering batteries however .
Old 21st Feb 2019, 10:44 am   #26
Malcolm T
Hexode

https://www.epemag3.com/lib/free_pro...r%20Supply.pdf
Old 21st Feb 2019, 10:58 am   #27
snowman_al
Octode

Current depends on several factors, load, voltage and grid volts etc..
At 90 volts I would guess 2mA max, but likely less than half that in real life.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 11:24 am   #28
Malcolm T
Hexode

Ok thank you for the info , so batteries should last some time depending on usage .
Old 21st Feb 2019, 2:34 pm   #29
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

A small, but important point - dont forget that an effective EARTH will most likely make a great difference to the sensitivity of the set-up.
It might also reduce the amount of switch-mode and other interference you pick up.
It may be instructive to try the set with and without the earth connected. Tony.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 3:27 pm   #30

I guess one could bung an FET on a valve base and use 9V for the HT.

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:25 am   #31
Malcolm T
Hexode

Yes a FET regen very easy to construct , but i must find this HAC and get it running first .
Closed Thread