UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2015, 12:13 am   #81
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Restore a Beau Decca

For what it's worth, I would be very inclined to avoid damaging any existing woodwork.

I'd settle for any deck that fits and can play your vinyl safelyt I'd then place the amp within the cavity [assuming it fits] horizontally or anywhere and live with it for now!

Hook up the speakers and see how it actually sounds. Going for relative perfection at this stage or retro-fitting complex extensions to the amp etc might be an interesting challenge or it could take you on a wild goose chase!

You never know what may turn up that's relatively original or even that you can adapt more successfully/easily. You could put in a lot of work and then not like the sound Or you could be listening to a Radiogram albeit not quite completed, while researching further!.

Dave W
Old 9th Dec 2015, 7:15 pm   #82
thejazzageuk
Pentode

I agree. I'm keen to keep the amp as in-tact as possible. I do like the idea of a flexible cable though.

If I can get this to work on just the on/off volume, then I could mount the amp horizontally and point the amp front panel to the back of the beau decca. This would mean that I would need to access the back of the beau decca to switch from radio to turntable, but this may not be a big issue as it will mainly be playing LPs.

Failing that plan B will be to mount the amp facing upwards and operate the key switches somehow from the top.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 7:51 pm   #83
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Here is a quick update on the BD project.

I now have got the RC80M deck working, so am ready to install the first items into the cabinet. Initially this will just be the amp and deck. I will look into the radio later.

I think I will point the amp up and use it to power the LH and RH original BD speaker, leaving the centre on un-connected.

I just need a way of extending the on/off/volume shaft - then I can make an arrangement to push the selector switches for disc/radio etc. Again any suggestions for the best way of doing this would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to the turntable....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2os9di1dn...92733.mp4?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151228_101121.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	118163  
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:46 pm   #84
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Years ago you could get a vol pot shaft extender and possibly they may still make them?
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:20 pm   #85
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Oh dear, where to start?! You must be overwhelmbed by all of these well intentioned suggestions. Give me an idea of your budget for this. I mean I could offer a solution for quite a low cost. But do remember, if you are thinking of stereo, then your LH and RH speakers are only going to be about 30" apart, a very restricted soundstage. Edward
Old 10th Jan 2016, 11:11 am   #86
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Apologies- the link to the video of the turntable operating I posted in #83 dos not work- here is the correct link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2os9di1dn...92733.mp4?dl=0
Old 10th Jan 2016, 8:54 pm   #87
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Thanks Edward Huggins- yes lots of responses, but they've helped me get this far...

For the next step I'm just looking for a way of operating the cadet amp controls from where the original amp controls would be.

The 2 attached pics show the BD panel that would have had the 3 amp rotary dials projecting through a wooden bezel. Unfortunately the bezel and the rotary knobs where missing when I purchased the cabinet.

The 2nd pic shows the cadet amp face-plate. The on/off vol and the three push switched that I think need to be operated are highlighted. This means that I will need a shaft extension- especially if the 5 pin din lead is to be used (which would be nice to add a phone/MP3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160110_105341.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	118260   Click image for larger version

Name:	cadet.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	118261  
Old 28th Jan 2016, 3:24 pm   #88
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Yesterday I swapped the spring damping mounts off the original Garrard deck, attached them to the RC80M and placed the deck into the cabinet.

Success up to a point- everything fits, deck looks good and appears to work as expected. I have not installed or connected the amp yet. However there is already a noise problem! When the deck was running in the block mount outside the cabinet, it did not appear particularly noisy (you can verify the noise it makes by playing the video link in post #86). However when inside the cabinet, the noise of the motor is transmitted and resonated by the cabinet and it is VERY noticeable. I guess I may have mounted the damping rubbers incorrectly- (they don't seem brittle or hard). Can anyone advise if there is a knack to getting the optimum isolation from these spring/rubber type mounts (see pic). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160128_135133.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	119111  
Old 30th Jan 2016, 1:52 pm   #89
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ah the Joys of restoration when what appears so strightforward isn't! You could try mounting the whole deck baseplate on high density foam (all 4 edges of the baseplate) so that the springs do not touch the motorboard. Edward
Old 4th Feb 2016, 6:05 pm   #90
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Thanks Edward. After a bit of trial and error I noticed that by manually pushing the deck into the centre from the LHS, then the noise stopped. I've now used a section of cork to keep it in this position and there is no more noise. I will look for a more permanent solution later, but its now working fine. I'll post some photos to illustrate shortly.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 8:44 pm   #91
Techman
Dekatron

Seeing as no one else seems able to help you with this deck mounting problem (probably because there’s very few that have experience with this very old deck technology) I thought I’d better step in, as you seem to be struggling with this.

Firstly, you shouldn’t have to move the deck about or add foam. That mounting spring as shown in your picture is completely wrong!

I’m very surprised that you didn’t take careful note of how the mounts were originally assembled when you removed the old deck from your second cabinet, or perhaps you haven’t done this yet? You will need these mounts if the ones on your RC80 are incomplete.

There are two types of mounts on these decks and I’ve been up in the loft and taken pictures of both types on decks that I have packed away. I have added below, a picture of the earlier mount only, as this is the one that you’re interested in for this particular deck – a picture of the later mount at this stage may only add confusion.

Complete Garrard RC80 (and others both earlier and slightly later) mount shown as fitted to the underside of a deck - below:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080585.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	119592  
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 12:00 pm   #92
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Thanks techman. I've not been on the forum for a while as the radiogram has been working nicely so I've just been leaving it be.

The springs you show in your photo were indeed the ones fitted to the RC80. However, the wooden plateau that the Beau Decca has, which the deck drops onto only has recesses holes in it- no spring mounts. To fit the mounts on the RC80 I would either have to use the wooden plateau that the RC80 came with- or somehow screw the RC80 mounts onto the plateau. I've seen a couple of these Beau Decca units now, and they both were fitted with RC seventy decks using the mounts shown in these photos.

See below for pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mounting spring loction.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	123244   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring mount.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	123245  
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 12:19 pm   #93
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I think you mean Mounting Board and not "Plateau". Edward
Old 26th Apr 2016, 9:48 am   #94
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Hi Edward- yes you are correct. The RC80 came still attached to a mounting board and was mounted using the springs shown in TECHMAN's post #91. These look much better mounts that the ones i'm using (in post #92) but to use them would mean modifying the mounting board in the Beau Decca cabinet- which has only counter-sunk holes drilled into it. I wanted to keep the cabinet as original as possible which is why I opted for the older mounts.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:10 am   #95
thejazzageuk
Pentode

I've been lucky enough to get an original amp for the Beau Decca. Here is a photo of it just after removal- cobwebs and all. Now begins the long job of getting it back to life (I hope).
Obviously needs work before power-up as valves quite expensive to replace, so I guess the first job is to replace the capacitors? I've also looked at FIXITNOWs posts of his 'Beau Decca radiogram. Found one at last' thread.

For the wax tubular ones I'm looking at buying a capacitor kit from Justradios.com. I've purchased the data sheet and have listed the capacitors needed and the ones in the kit.

Caps 51 and 52 are listed a 750V, but the ones in the kit are only rated 630V- is this OK or should I buy these separately.

For the electrolytics, I'm not sure whether to renew or reform- FIXITNOW opted for re-forming, not sure how difficult this is. Any advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capList.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	123653   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDamp.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	123654   Click image for larger version

Name:	beaudeccasmall.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	123655  
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:37 am   #96
Station X

Looking at the ERT sheet, capacitors C51 and C52 sit between each side of the mains supply and chassis/earth. They need to be Class 'Y' types.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 11:49 am   #97
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That seems to be a very good find Jazz Age and only a relatively short time after I said you never know what might turn up! Was it in a Chicken Coop?
I think the Gods have rewarded you for your persistence and perseverence, coupled with a willingness to seek advice from the really helpfull people on here [and actually follow it]!

Dave W
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:17 am   #98
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Thanks StationX. Good advice indeed! I've ordered a capacitor kit from justradios.com and also 2 Y2 type caps for this purpose. The Y2 caps are rated at 750V and the Beau Decca schematic, however justradios.com only lists Y2 caps that are rated at 250v- are these the correct ones? (.0047 uF at 250 Volts AC Y2 FILM Safety Cap).

I'm in no hurry to get the BD amp working- would rather take my time and do it right. For practice I have an amp from an HMV 2001 record play that I will do first.

and thanks Dave Walsh- yes I was very lucky to find it I know. It came from a charity auction, but I had to buy it unseen as it was quite a distance from me. I could not even be sure that it still had the original amp! Anyway- the project continues...
Old 19th Jun 2016, 8:04 pm   #99
thejazzageuk
Pentode

I've cleaned up the amp and its looking a little better now- see photo. I notice that the PX4 valves have an OSRAM label. I think some have Marconi labels- does anyone know what the difference is between these?

Finally- before I start replacing the old capacitors- if anyone who has done this job on this amp can give any useful advice I woud be very grateful. I think its better to replace electrolytic caps unless your really know what you are doing. Is that the best plan for this amp? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000758.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	126276  
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:36 pm   #100
Techman
Dekatron

There will be the usual coupling capacitors to replace and any cathode decoupling small electrolytics. The main HT smoothing electrolytics may well be ok. You could try reforming them or run the thing up via a lamp limiter and check voltages etc. to see what's happening.

Speaking for myself, I would just make a few static checks, and then with a voltmeter connected to the HT line I would give it full mains for just long enough to see the rectifier start to conduct and then cut the power as the HT got to about 30 - 50 volts. I would repeat this a few times, gradually letting the HT voltage get a bit higher each time while checking for any slight warming of the capacitor cans and any other smoke, sparks etc. that shouldn't be there - but that's just me!

If you're going to do any major work on the amp chassis, I would advise removing those output valves and packing them away in soft wrapping somewhere, as it'll be no good asking for replacements for those in the 'wanted' section if you end up busting them - and it doesn't matter that they have the Osram label.
Closed Thread