UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2014, 6:28 am   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Sick of trying to spray the tiniest amount of WD40 and getting it everywhere?

I know I was. So here is a little attachment that can be used when needed and removed from the can when it isn't. Also works well on sprayable white lithium grease.

To use, place a finger over the end of the pipette and press the button on the can. The air inside will prevent the liquid from going all over your finger and it will collect in the bulb end of the pipette. See photo.

Then, the can is positioned to where the fluid runs down into the open end of the pipette (it will not leak out) and by squeezing the bulb, even one tiny drop can be dispensed where you need it. Right on a tuning cap bearing is one such tricky place to reach. This can be done one-handed by holding the top of the can in your palm and squeezing the bulb between thumb and forefinger.

Works very well:

Edit: the white tube inserted into the pipette is a cotton bud with the ends snipped off, as per Geoff 555's 'Aerosol Tubes' suggestion.

Note also that the bulb rests nicely on the rim of the can and the red tube is secured into a hole in the pipette with epoxy glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user31812_pic3030_1410326762.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	97378  

Last edited by Ti Pwun; 10th Sep 2014 at 6:42 am.
Old 10th Sep 2014, 8:06 am   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Sick of trying to spray the tiniest amount of WD40 and getting it everywhere?

A long time ago, I had a can of WD40 lose its pressure when still pretty full, and the 'Yorkshire Gene' kicked in big time; some value had to be obtained, so I carefully punctured the can and drained the two layers in to a clean jam jar. I now use that with pipittes and even occasionally a syringe. Alternatively, I just dip one of the smaller jewellers screw drivers in to it and let that drain on to the point needing lube. Keep it topped up by emptying the dregs out of good cans in to it. And of course, WD40 is better than Plus Gas....for all purposes.... ... but do keep it off your skin!
Old 10th Sep 2014, 2:51 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: Sick of trying to spray the tiniest amount of WD40 and getting it everywhere?

I don't think I could have thrown away that can either.
Old 10th Sep 2014, 7:29 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

WD40 is, of course, available 'loose', in non-aerosol containers, if alternative application methods are preferred.
Old 10th Sep 2014, 11:46 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

It is, but I already had the aerosol WD40 and I got the pipettes free when I bought a bottle of flux so I used what I had.
Old 11th Sep 2014, 12:36 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Or spray some onto a screwdriver, and use that as a dropper.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 2:15 pm   #7
avocollector
Heptode

I've seen a youtube video about a low pressure can of crc. They show the user pulling off the spray head (so just the stem sticks up) then using compressed air head (tyre valve filler?) held over the stem to blow air back into the can. Presume if it was fairly low pressure (say up to 40PSI) it should work - anyone tried it?
Old 10th Oct 2014, 3:48 pm   #8
Station X

Tired it years ago when aerosols were first introduced. Used a bicycle pump. It doesn't work very well because, I assume, there's less energy in compressed air than in an equal volume of propellant at the same pressure.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 7:14 pm   #9
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
. And of course, WD40 is better than Plus Gas....for all purposes.... ... but do keep it off your skin!
WD40 is a very effective hand cleaner when followed by hot soapy water.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 9:49 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Nooo ! Please don't use it; even if it works it is the wrong way to go. I think the trick to cleaning hands is to use a barrier cream before starting work. I've tried quite a few and my current favourite is Rozalex "Wet-Guard". At one time, they offered free samples, and the samples were quite large.

B