UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2011, 5:12 pm   #1
Steve Helm
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts R900. Noisy volume control.

I recently bought a Roberts R900 and cosmetically it is in fantastic condition. It also sounds fantastic. But, when I increase or decrease the volume it crackles really badly until I arrive at the desired sound level. Once at the level it's fine.

Is there any easy fix? If so could someone please advise me on what to do? Apologies but I'm not too technically gifted.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited by Station X; 10th Dec 2011 at 5:56 pm. Reason: Title made more meaningful.
Old 10th Dec 2011, 6:13 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R900. Noisy volume control.

It sounds as if it needs cleaning, if that fails check for DC on the pot...shouldn't be any, if that fails change pot if available or if you can get one.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Dec 2011, 7:52 pm   #3
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Steve,
When I get these symptoms my first step is to clean the volume potentiometer track. This is usually not very difficult and with the R900 I think it can be done without any major dismantling. The chassis can be released by removing three screws, two on the side just above the handle fixings and one at the base securing the FM aerial. This then enables the chassis to be pushed upwards a few centimeters to enable access to the volume control. From memory the leads are long enough so don't need to be disconnected.

I use switch cleaner that comes in a pressurised can with a long flexible nozzle. The tricky part is getting the stuff inside the potentiometer without major surgery. I have usually found a gap where the rear cover is fixed to the main part. This allows switch cleaner to be squirted inside. Moving the control backwards and forwards a few times is usually enough to clean it after that. If you have the battery still connected it gives an idea whether it has been successful.

The main concern is to be careful not to damage anything when extracting the chassis. As it has been in place quite a few years it can be a bit wedged in the case. In which case it will need pushing up from below with a wooden rod. The end under the battery gives a clear patch to push against.

I have gone into a relatively detailed description because you said you did not have much technical experience but I am sure with this fault you stand a chance of making an impression that will give you confidence.

The R900 was one of the first Roberts sets I got when I started collecting and I was always impressed with it.

Good luck

Last edited by wireful3; 10th Dec 2011 at 7:54 pm. Reason: typos
Old 10th Dec 2011, 9:11 pm   #4
Steve Helm
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, I'll let you know I get on.
Old 11th Dec 2011, 11:11 am   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

There is an easier way which usually works, just carefully prise off the volume control knob and dribble the switch cleaner down the shaft, rotate the control over its full sweep a few times. Use switch cleaner such as Servisol Super 10.
Old 11th Dec 2011, 11:39 am   #6
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for mentioning it Geof. It is even easier than my way and should certainly be tried first.
Old 11th Dec 2011, 11:51 am   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Roberts R900. Noisy volume control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Helm View Post
Is there any easy fix? If so could someone please advise me on what to do? Apologies but I'm not too technically gifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
Thanks for mentioning it Geof. It is even easier than my way and should certainly be tried first.
Hi John, As Steve says he is not too techy, a strip down of the radio might be tricky, though a good way to learn. As the control knobs would have to be removed anyway this method might as well be tried first, one thing to be careful of is not to wash out any of the lube that is in the control already.
Old 19th Dec 2011, 7:20 pm   #8
Steve Helm
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks fellas. a removal of the volume knob and a dribble of the fluid did the trick. Sounds like new.
Old 20th Dec 2011, 2:58 pm   #9
Steve Helm
Retired Dormant Member

So, after the success of curing the crackling Roberts volume control I set about my Hacker Hunter. I bought it in fantastic cosmetic condition but was told there was a black spot in reception in the mid ranges.

A few squirts of the switch cleaner and I cant believe my ears, a fully functioning Hunter. (For an hour or so after the cleaning the frequencies slightly moved though, now they are spot on)

I bought the switch cleaner from Maplins for a reasonable £3.99. Bargain, considering I now have a fully functioning piece of British history.

Thanks again.
Old 20th Dec 2011, 9:38 pm   #10
Station X

If you want to discuss the Hacker Hunter further please start a new thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Dec 2011, 10:03 pm   #11
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Steve,

While you have a set handy with the switch cleaner it is often worth giving the wavechanger a drop and working the switch may just improve reliability in the future, but keep it away from coils. Remember that some switch cleaner fluids have been reported to harm plastics.

John.
Closed Thread