UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2009, 7:13 am   #1
classic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker RP17 and RP17A.

Hello.
Does anyone knows who is the difference between Hacker PR17 and Hacker PR17A
Thank you
Regards
Old 24th Feb 2009, 7:35 am   #2
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker PR17

I'm sure others can answer this question more fully, but I reckon the RP17 used the smaller PP7 batteries, wheras the RP17A took the larger PP9 batteries.
The cabinet of the 17 is slightly smaller than the 17A.
Peter
Old 24th Feb 2009, 8:26 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker PR17

Yes, those are the changes any user will notice, along with changed operation of the on/off switch - the RP17, unlike the 17A, is turned on by depressing either waveband button. Also the amplifier board was radically redesigned for the RP17A in both circuitry and layout.

Paul
Old 25th Feb 2009, 4:19 pm   #4
classic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hacker RP17 and RP17A.

Thank you.
I can find schematic for PR17A but not for PR17.
So i need to know if schematics are the same?
Regards
Old 25th Feb 2009, 4:54 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Tuner/IF circuitry and board layout are at least very similar, but the RP17's amplifier board and its schematic don't much resemble the 17A's - or that of any other Hacker model, as far as I know. With any luck someone here may have the manual.

Paul
Old 1st Mar 2009, 6:06 am   #6
classic
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul
Old 1st Mar 2009, 11:05 am   #7
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

There is a difference in the supply circuit between the RP17 & RP17A.

In the RP17 the lower voltage for the RF/IF unit is taken from the junction between the two PP7 batteries and the ON/OFF switch is double pole to allow this. From memory I think it also means the plug for the AF amplifier also uses more connections.

The RP17A uses a simpler system with the two PP9 batteries permanently connected together and a single pole switch. The lower voltage for the RF/IF unit is obtained with a dropping resistor from the 18 volt supply. It caused trouble on one of my sets because this voltage was too low. I never solved the problem and as I found a set that was working I gave up trying. It was one of the situations where all the components separately were fine but connected together it did not work.

There is also a difference in the volume control. In the RP17 it is connected directly to the common chassis but in the 17A it seems to connect to the chassis by a large capacitor.
Closed Thread