UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2020, 11:11 am   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Ferranti A1016

Good Morning Gents
I am in the throws of bringing back to life athe above radio, I have got a 7 page service document, very helpful!.

I have replaced some of those glowy things, the eabc80, cracked and a couple of others, now I have it working but with distorted audio on MW but NO VHF at the moment.

I have found that the 50 + 50mf main cap has split at the bottom, so needs replacing, now to the first question: I read ( one this site I think) that the cap in question is still available, but from where?

The outer case I think has been 'shellacked'? it looks to be of a plywood construction, I was hoping to rub it down and stain (mahogany?) said case, has anybody gone down that path, the case has marks etc on it.

Can anybody please enlighten me.

Thanks in anticipation

Snowy
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 12:19 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti A1016

Check this for physical size.
https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.c...Capacitor.html

Check the audio coupling cap to the grid of the output valve C48 in the makers service sheet.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 1:19 pm   #3
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks for the info Frank, just what the doc ordered, I have ordered that cap and a few others from Cricklewood, now for just the case.
Old 26th Apr 2020, 11:19 am   #4
g0hze snowy
Hexode

An update Gents
Had to change the EABC80, it was cracked at the base and air had got in, still not working so I changed the ECH81, that did it, all working on medium wave and vhf, distorted audio but working, waiting for the 0.01mf cap designated as C48, I ordered some, or so I thought but ended up with 10nf see through ( well almost) polystyrene types, not sure of the voltage on these so I haven't used them.
Now the case has been sanded down to eliminate the scratches and dings, now sporting the first of many coats of Sadolin mahogany, I know its not kosher, this is just to get it working and in use in my bike workshop.
So some success.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 6:57 pm   #5
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Caps arrived today, fitted C48, what a difference, quite nice sounding radio, as I fitted it back into the refurb'ed case 1 of the dial lamps said' that's enough, I refuse to work any more, has been working all the time the chassis has been on the bench.
Thanks to all for offering advice on getting it working.
Closed Thread