UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2016, 11:23 pm   #1
unabridged
Tetrode

Default Earthing Roberts RM20?

Good evening. My apologies if I am going over old ground in this post. I am more present in the 'Other' section of the forum, as lights, heaters etc are more my cup of tea.

I have come to a point where I need to replace the mains lead on my Roberts RM20 which usually lived at work playing Absolute radio on MW (). This was due to the good old green goo coming off the original flex (reaction with copper).

I have taken it apart in preparation to do this, and the thought of earthing crossed my mind. Of course, I am unsure as to if this would have any adverse effect. The transformer is mounted on the only metal part of the chassis, and a plastic clip holds a cap on. A card covers most of this, and you can only just touch a small amount of the metal chassis if you try; around the flex inlet.

As an electrician-monkey, my mind defaults to earthing metal parts. Although it IS barely accessible. But if the more electronics folk here could advise me as to whether this may have some kind of adverse effect i would appreciate hearing.

Pictures attached for your pleasure.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160829_230202596.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	129359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160829_230319815.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	129360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160829_230151510.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	129361  

If it smells like burning chicken, you're holding the wrong end
Old 30th Aug 2016, 12:44 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Earthing Roberts RM20?

If all the original safety features are still present, e.g. cannot touch any inside part of the set with cover on etc and the original had 2 core I would stay with two core. Confirm that the cable clamp does its job with any new wire.
Closed Thread