UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2017, 8:39 pm   #1
Right Said Fred
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vidor CN430 Repair

Hello to those reading, this is my first post.

So I visited my Grandad's old house in Wales last year -which is like an abandoned museum- and I was looking through some of the tat in the garage, when I spotted a small leatherette case amid a pile of '80s radios, and knew it had to be something cool. I was right! And I am now the owner of the world's worst Vidor CN430.

It was DOA when I got it; there was crackling from the speaker when the volume knob was adjusted, but nothing more. I replaced all the paper caps, and switched it on; complete silence! I consulted the circuit diagram, tested voltages and decided that I must have reinstalled C27 upside-down, which was proved when I checked the pictures I took before disassembling. Flipped it around, turned on and BINGO! One sort-of working radio.

There are still a few issues. The speaker distorts badly at even moderate volume, so I'll try a different speaker. Also, one of the (non-functional) features of this set is a loud warning tone which sounds if you shut the lid whilst the set is on. Not a major problem that it doesn't work, but I'd like to fix it anyway. When you close the switch, the set goes silent. Any clues? Lastly, the case is riddled with woodworm! The main part is saveable, but the lid is toast. I shall have to get creative with plywood and glue. Does anyone know a good place to get new leatherette?

Eternal thanks to the boffins on this site, and those who have taken the time to upload old circuit diagrams.

PS Note in the first picture, in the speaker fluff, I found a hair clip and a blue tiddly-wink! A funny glimpse into my Grandparents' past I suppose.

Thanks

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00465.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	137381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00725.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	137382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00726.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	137383   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00727.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	137384  
Old 10th Feb 2017, 10:34 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Vidor CN430 Repair

I have two of these radios, both of which I have re-capped. There are several wax paper caps which should be replaced although there is no need to replace the AF coupling capacitor (that cap) as it's a ceramic type. The non functioning warning tone may be due to a leaky capacitor (C19 on the trader sheet). My grandmother had one of these and that feature was what my brother and I used to enjoy annoying her with!

It's important to check the filament current and set it to 23.7mA as described in the service manual to avoid over running the filaments. Also note that should it fade out gently it's probably the DK96 needing replacement (This is a known problem with the DK96 in this type of set).

As to replacement leatherette I believe many people have used Ratchfords in Stockport.

Keith
Closed Thread