UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2011, 7:09 pm   #1
simonsradio
Tetrode

Default CRT Base Repair?

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of, a technique for, this...

In my "to do" pile is a pretty good EKCO TC209. With no work yet done, the radio works and there is a healthy line whistle and illumination of the U26. It has a replacement (plastic sleeved) HT smoother but otherwise looks pretty untouched.

Unfortunately before I acquired the set it had had a good bash at the back and the CRM 171 CRT base is smashed. The vacuum is intact, the big problem is that one of the heater wires is broken off at the glass . Otherwise all is easily repairable.

I was thinking (with suitable precautions) of trying to pick away at the glass round the remains of the wire to try to expose enough to make a sufficiently robust connection. Does anyone have any experience and/or success stories of this sort of thing? Or any other tricks - maybe using conductive paint to make a connection, or anything like that? I'd be grateful for any ideas...

(Just before anyone asks - I shorted out the tube heater connections on the connector to do the tests above!)
Old 15th May 2011, 8:48 pm   #2
DangerMan
Heptode

Default Re: CRT Base Repair?

If you were to drill a clearance hole through the tube base connector, so that it comes out the back, it might then be possible to poke a pin or something similar through it and make contact to the stump without picking at the glass and risking a nasty hissing sound.
You will need to improvise a spring arrangement to maintain contact pressure.
I once did this with a brand new A63-11X which had had a similar mishap in a Bush CTV25 and had several pins broken off below the surface of the glass. The tube lived to be a great age afterwards with a good picture, but the broken pins were grids and cathodes, not heater pins.
I used ordinary sewing pins but for the heaters you might have to check these don't get hot at the contact point or maybe find a better material. Brass pins are available, I'm sure. You could always reinforce this with a dot of silver loaded paint during assembly if need be.
I used the solder tags on the socket itself to anchor the springs which were actually cut from the earthing contacts of an old variable capacitor.

Pete
Old 15th May 2011, 9:24 pm   #3
Kilham1
Retired Dormant Member

Either glue a pin/wire in place with conductive silver epoxy (expensive for just one pin and may not handle the current) or fit a spring probe into the base socket, something like this:

http://uk.farnell.com/feinmetall/f11...act/dp/1313692
Old 15th May 2011, 9:27 pm   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

To follow on from what Pete said, at work I used to use large numbers of spring loaded test probes to make contact to the test pads on the underside of PCBs. These come in all sorts of diameters and head styles. Fron what you are describing I think they may have a use here.

Have a look at this site

http://www.coda-systems.co.uk/catalog/index.html

I am sure that CPC stocked some as well.

Al
Old 15th May 2011, 9:37 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
The spring loaded probe is the best idea, Conductive adhesive although very good may have sufficient resistance and thus heat to crack the glass. Personally I would try to get the CRT in a suitable way working to test, if good then do a permanent repair or look out for another good tube!
Old 21st May 2011, 11:08 am   #6
simonsradio
Tetrode

Thanks all for those thoughts. I've just ordered a couple of spring loaded probes and will have a play when time permits...